Comments: Disney, Day One

Okay. You are allowed three days of shiny, happy peopledom with adorable chillens and becostumed believers.

But can you please bring back one of those magical, scrubbing bathroom fairies for me?

Posted by Edgy Mama at October 13, 2006 10:35 AM

I'm with Edgy Mama -- I'll trade you unblemished street cred for all eternity in exchange for one magical scrubbing bathroom fairy.

Glad to hear you're having fun.

Posted by Aimee at October 13, 2006 10:56 AM

I am SO jealous! But glad you're having a very good time. Hope you get to see the new Nemo thing at Epcot, they say Crush is very cool, dude.

Question- do you ever find that the opportunity to people watch at Disney leads to new ideas for novels?

Posted by Shelley at October 13, 2006 11:17 AM

Wallowing. In. Envy. I remember not only the fun, but the cleanliness, and the happiness, and the customer service that you'll find nowhere else on earth. Glad to see you're enjoying your vacation!

Posted by Jessica at October 13, 2006 12:31 PM

Oh mi gosh I love the ghostly picture. Have fun, oh wait you are. :)

Posted by Cele at October 13, 2006 12:59 PM

I think it is grand that you and the kids are having a blast. I cannot wait for my little girl to be the right age (and to have the cash) to take her to the magic that is Disney. I am pretty tired of being cynical myself. I just want to forget my worries and have fun. Any trolls who try to spoil your fun with anti-Disney rants should be banned or at least deleted!

Posted by Amy at October 13, 2006 2:19 PM

Awesome pics!! Love the way you wrote about it Joshilyn! I never been to Disney, and wow the castle entrance is gorgeous! The kids look great, and the costumes Cap'n Hook wears, looks real good quality-made!

My sis's family went to Disney 2 years ago, and she said pretty much what you did. SoOo clean!! She was very impressed; all "commersialism aside" she said it was well worth the trip and expense!

Posted by North at October 13, 2006 2:22 PM

Aw. You are making happy memories that will last forever.

Posted by Suebob at October 13, 2006 2:22 PM

Oh, and note: enjoy the weather!! WE had a snow fall yesterday; and expecting snow squalls today/night? whahhh!! WE are at least a month early in snow-season... so talk about being unprepared!

Snow squalls are brutal!! Usually it plunges to 30-50 below zero; and we get so much snow, it's up to the hips or waist, and snow-banks can get 15 feet high!

ack!

Posted by North at October 13, 2006 2:24 PM

My family and I are Disney park lovers, too. Despite all our concerns with all that other stuff.

When I was tiny, apparently my favorite character was Mr. Smee, and there are several pictures of me posing with him, looking perfectly content with the entire world.

Have fun with the kids!

Posted by Jessica at October 13, 2006 6:41 PM

Oh--that looks like SO MUCH FUN. . .

Posted by Roxanne at October 13, 2006 7:25 PM

Joss, I have this mental of you, clutching the tattered garment of your street cred around your shoulders, and smiling your LOVELY and INNOCENT smile :)

Posted by Elena at October 13, 2006 8:50 PM

My sisters and I never got to go to Disney when we were kids. My husband and I took the kids when my son was 6 and my daughter was a mere baby- a fact which leaves her embittered to this day. I rant about the evil marketing geniuses at Disney as much as the next person, but I admit I got downright weepy when I saw Cinderella's castle for the first time, and each and every time I witnessed the magic through my son's eyes.

Now my daughter is 7 and we are taking them to Disney again this spring. Yes, Disney princesses are insipid and appalling role models for girls(Belle excluded.) Yes, the "Disney vault" is a manipulative load of crap. Yep, I totally get how awful and corporate it all is. But when Emma has her first walk down the boulevard and meets one of the characters for the first time, I'm betting I'll forget all that again.

Plus, y'know, the bathrooms.

Have a fabulous time!

Posted by Laura at October 14, 2006 12:19 AM

No matter what you know in your head about Disney, its looking through the kids' eyes that matters. And for your commenters who want to know more about the potties, try The Happiest Potties on Earth. http://www.mouseplanet.com/potties/

Posted by Miss Cellania at October 14, 2006 12:27 AM

Oh look! Maisy is SO HAPPY that she has to hold her face on or her smile will take over and her whole personage will explode in happiness... she looks like she's barely holding it in!

Posted by Heather Cook at October 14, 2006 1:09 AM

being a california native (and living 1/2 my life in southern california at that -- oh carp. it's only a bit more than 1/4 of my life now. sheesh!), disneyland is in my blood. my BLOOD, i say! and i was trying to explain that while i don't like the disney store and i really don't like the disneyfication of so many things, when i am AT disneyland, it's total magic. the feelings i get are the same ones i had at 3 (i don't remember my first visit at 18 months - heh heh). and now getting to share it w/my kids? the magic is multiplied by a bizijillion. and you're right. they don't phone it in at all. i've known several people that worked there. it drove some of them batty by the end of it, but they all said that it was also fun.
and i love the ghosty picture :) too cool.

Posted by kristen at October 14, 2006 10:49 AM

Cap'n Hook was my son's favorite character when he was younger. We have a photo that we consider a treasure beyond measure of him standing with his (anti) hero at Disneyland. Both are wearing their plumed hats and brandishing their hooks ... and my son has his other hand planted firmly on his hip, in exact imitation of the Disneyland Hook.

Posted by Monique at October 14, 2006 10:58 AM

Perhaps the prisoner/detainee costume contains a wee bit of irony? Hmmmm?

(btw last night Daniel got his second career field goal. Now I'm really glad my eyes have not been ground to pulp.)

Posted by The Brother at October 14, 2006 1:06 PM

Fun pics, especially that last one. That's so cool!

And I love Maisy's shoes. :-)

Posted by DebR at October 14, 2006 1:44 PM

I'm so glad you're enjoying yourselves. It's nice to get away now and then.

Oh, and the Miss Maisy/Capt. Hook scream-and-flee? Priceless, absolutley priceless. I about died laughing. Even when you're on the road, you're un-put-downable.

Posted by David at October 14, 2006 8:21 PM

My 14yo daughter has that same "I'm not bossy" shirt, and she wears it with the same look on her face. I think it must go with the shirt.
Where can I get one of those bathroom cleaning faeries?
Keep on wishing upon those stars, and don't forget to hit the "Small World" while you're there. That one was always my favorite!

Posted by dee at October 20, 2006 8:27 PM