Comments: Bugs, Birmingham, and Blatant Book Promotion

I am BESIDE myself with excitement and anticipation - my lil book is getting signed tomorrow by its wondermous author! I can almost feel it! Oh wait, that's the dog licking my ankle.

Posted by laura at July 13, 2006 12:15 PM

first, if they offer you kool-aid...walk fast in any opposit further direction, I worry greatly about losing favorite authors to new nations.

Second, tomorrow, tomorrow, she's signing tomorrow. Happy Dance. 8)

Posted by Cele at July 13, 2006 12:28 PM

"I miss my people and my house, but I am not going back for a good piece yet." I think it's just deplorable for you to refer to Scott that way.

(I didn't say he didn't like it, just that it's deplorable.)

Posted by rams at July 13, 2006 1:05 PM

I suggest CALGARY, ALBERTA. I suggest it strongly. PUH-LEEEESE

Posted by Heather Cook at July 13, 2006 1:22 PM

I was just googling dishwasher and roaches and the first thing that popped was your April 10, 2004 entry "Ask me if I want a roach in my dishwasher." Oh how I can sympathize! I've recently moved into an urban Baltimore home. Roaches seem to be an accepted part of life here - not for me. Anyway, I opened the dishwasher, which hasn't been used in the 6 weeks I've been living here. Roaches scuttling everywhere! Close it back up quickly! Back to my search for reasonable solutions to rid the dishwasher of many roach families. Thanks for making me feel not so oddly neurotic.

Posted by Hillary at July 13, 2006 1:44 PM

I've been reading your blog for about a week. And last night went and bought gods. And now you say you're in Fairhope? It must be kismet. Fairhope is a favorite of mine too. My husband was born there. He ran away from the South but I try so hard to insert Southern Culture into my everyday life (born & breed Westerner). I "might could" do things... I pour over the pages of the Mobile Junior League cookbook, Bay Tables... I've tried growing azaleas.

I look forward to reading gods, and soon Between.

Come to Colorado, we have an awesome independent bookstore, Tattered Cover, that would be happy to have you.

Posted by Cat at July 13, 2006 4:46 PM

Oh, all of you people that get to see her tomorrow...LUCKY YOU!! I have to wait until next week.
That is so ok though, I'm still excited for me, and for YOU!
Are they called roaches there, or are they palmetto bugs? I know they are PBs in Florida. To me, they are just huge nasty creatures.
And would those by any chance be the (in)famous "Woolworth's" underpants that you're going to be keeping a tight hold on?
See, if you write it, we will read it. Really, we will.

Posted by dee at July 13, 2006 5:49 PM

I punched the yellow button and it didn't work. There was no form below. I am a horrible procrastinator, I know. I will try to call tomorrow. :(

Posted by Linda Sherwood at July 13, 2006 7:09 PM

I procrastinate, but I also am a determined ducky. I clicked on the book picture and followed through that way and found the form, but when I just clicked the yellow button on the blog page, there's no form.

Posted by Linda Sherwood at July 13, 2006 7:17 PM

Uh... who on Earth told you that the bugs don't come to Alaska????!!!

My husband still tells the tale of the trip 25 years ago when he, his dad and his dad's cousin drove the old pickup from the north of the Lower 48 to Alaska. The adults got the bed of the truck (covered) to sleep in, the kid got the cab. He was kept awake by the sound of the mosquitos trying to batter their way in through the vents. When they hit the windows, it sounded like a bird flew into it. No joke, no exaggerations. They grow 'em BIG and NASTY up there! However, I don't think they have palmetto bugs. Take your pick ;-)

Posted by Beth at July 13, 2006 8:19 PM

hi!

i just saw your book in greenville, south carolina, and it piqued my interest. i'm disappointed to miss your visit to charlotte, nc, but i look forward to reading your two novels. i think i have actually been through "between." i'd just thought. as a fellow english major, i would say "thanks for writing."

Posted by lydia gillespie at July 13, 2006 8:20 PM

I special ordered your audio version of Between, Georgia, after bugging my local indie bookstore for WEEKS about didn't they get an Advance Readers Copy? Huh? Didn't they? Their stack of ARCs is huge & some of us get to comb thru for stuff to read & review & I was SO hoping to get that one. But no. (Are we too far west? Too far into the boonies? Well, yes, but still.)

So.

I got your audio version but first printed out your blog entry on "The Quality of Silence" to re-read, just to set the stage for listening to you READ. And, in the first few minutes, all the distraction of the hilarious blog entry disappeared because I had been sucked ears-first into your glorious story.

Fabulous job, Joshilyn, fabulous -- both the writing & the reading. It wouldn't have mattered if you, you know, had a loud heartbeat or anything, because your reading, your staging is marvelous.

Spouse & I are listening to it again this weekend as we drive over to Seattle & back. He hasn't heard it yet. But he will love it too.

Oh! And I ordered a hard-copy thru QPB, so it is available thru bookclubs too. Yay!

Posted by Lulu at July 13, 2006 9:11 PM

Some have to wait a week. A whole week? How about waiting for FOREVER? Yep, Indiana is surely not on the tour hot spots.
I bought Between yesterday. Unless there is an emergency landing at the Indianapolis Airport with Joshilyn on the plane, "she ain't comin'"! I'll have a copy of the novel with MY signature inside the book, not Joshilyn's. Oh, bother...

Posted by Sweet Pea at July 13, 2006 11:22 PM

I picked up Gods last night, and I'm going to head over to the Margaret Mitchell house when you come up my way. I stumbled into your blog all unknowing, and it's become one of the highlights of my day. You rock. :-)

Posted by Shannan at July 14, 2006 7:22 AM

I did it! I pushed the button. Of course, I would do just about anything you might suggest because you are the funnest part of my day!

Posted by Andreia at July 14, 2006 11:37 AM

Oh my gosh! I listened to the podcast and that is NOT what I expected you to sound like. Now, you might wonder what I thought you would sound like...but I dont know! You sound so sweet and demure, not that you aren't. Okay, Im sounding nonsensical. This was fun!

Posted by Andreia at July 14, 2006 11:46 AM

My ONE visit to Georgia in years and years was just last week, I even read gods on the plane, and you left the state the same day I arrived. My life is all about bad timing. Now you MUST come out to California (Bay Area, specifically... I'm not talking about your launching for the cruise from SoCal).

Posted by carolie at July 14, 2006 11:53 AM

Kay, I ordered my B'ham book like weeks ago, and I'm dying to read it. Sign away, Joss. And thank you!

Posted by Edgy Mama at July 14, 2006 11:59 AM

I noticed in today's Commercial Appeal that you're comin' to Memphis. Hope to make it down there!

Posted by poopie at July 16, 2006 1:14 PM

Wow, GREAT REVIEW in Entertainment Weekly! You rock!

Posted by Dara at July 16, 2006 5:05 PM

Ooo, Ooo, Ooo - I pushed your button, too! Wait, that doesn't sound right. ;) I am all atwitter waiting for my very own signed copy of Between, Georgia and when it gets here I plan on graduating to being all agog. I've been Ms. Lurky Lurkington and almost de-lurked after I read gods in Alabama, but then I got shy again. I didn't want to want to splatter your comments with giggly, gushy girl-crush, er, gushiness. Hm. Too late, I guess. Nice.
Um. Loved gods in Alabama, can't wait to read Between, Georgia. Yeah. Ok. I'm done.

Posted by Teri M. at July 16, 2006 7:31 PM