Comments: Reunion

Oooh, at the very moment I am reading your blog, you are writing a new blog entry and I get to be the first commenter!
I am So Cool (shudder, flinch).
Also, you are signing at the Alabama Booksmith THIS FRIDAY and I am going to be there and not show up on the Wrong Day like last year when you did not have a Thing but just went to the bookstore (like a regular person who goes to bookstores instead of an internationally reknowned, supermodel gorgeous, incredibly famous and talented author){studies trowel, asks Self, Self, did we lay on it thick enough there? Will Joshilyn remember me when I swoop into the Alabama Booksmith at almost 6 o'clock because I don't get off work until 5:30PM and then I have to change into cooler shoes in the car before I actually enter the bookstore?}
excuse me, I have to go find a paper bag to breathe into now.

Posted by Elena at July 9, 2006 9:24 AM

When I was about that same age, I wrote a poem that opened with the line: "There he sat, in his Subaru Brat."

So it could be worse. MUCH MUCH WORSE.

Posted by Badger at July 9, 2006 10:54 AM

I went to two high schools. Twentieth reunions are good, thirty is much better. Have fun

Posted by Cele at July 9, 2006 12:27 PM

Yes, I think I'll keep the TMI (Too Much Information) file open for you.
Because I REALLY wanted to know about your underpants...
Um, I've realised that you're probably not a YA author, right? Because I got your blog link from a YA site, so I just ASSUMED (bad idea) that you were YA. But I don't think you are. Oh, well, I'll keep on reading the blog!

Posted by IrishGal at July 9, 2006 1:30 PM

I just missed my 25th high school reunion in May, which was a bummer because I really really wanted to go, but on the other hand it was kind of nice to say "I cannot go, and I am totally crushed, but it is for a good cause because I am going on my BOOK TOUR. Cough. For my BOOK. Because, you know, I have one, so now could you please burn those last two copies of the lit review? But it is okay with me if you keep the archival copies of the newspaper, because I still kind of preen a little about my column in said paper: A VIEW FROM THE HOT TUB."

OMG I am just so strange.

I hope your touring is going so so so so so excellently, dude!

Posted by Cornelia Read at July 9, 2006 2:30 PM

HAD a sass mouth? Past tense?

Posted by Heather at July 9, 2006 4:35 PM

What Heather said, absolutely.

I think 'wild white stallion' should be your new nickname for Scott. ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at July 9, 2006 4:53 PM

...and they just keep gettin' funner. My last was my 30th and we had a ball!

Posted by poopie at July 9, 2006 4:59 PM

Tommy Hayes has this hilarious presentation where he reads portions of stuff he's written throughout his career--starting with his middle school newspaper. It's hilarious, and makes you realize that we all have "wild white stallions" in our past.

Posted by Edgy Mama at July 9, 2006 7:25 PM

10th reunions suck because everyone is just like you said -- all raw and unhatched and eager to prove they are much better than they were in high school. 20th and 25th reunions are cool. People pretty much are where they're going in life, and those who are OK with that come to the reunion to reminisce and have fun. Those who aren't OK with that, of course, don't show up.

Later reunions, like 40th and 50th, get depressing because so many people are dead. No, I'm not that ancient; I used to work at a private school where Homecoming Weekends were huuuuge events so I observed a lot of them. 20th or 25th is the best.

Oh, and bad high school poetry? I see your "wild white stallion" and raise you a poem that begins, "I feel like the wind is my sister/She's wild, and I feel that way too." It gets worse. Much, much worse.

Maybe you should host a "most over-wraught, melodramatic poem you wrote in high school" contest sometime?

Posted by TrudyJ at July 9, 2006 9:11 PM

Great to hear about the good time at your reunion. My 20 is this Friday and I'm in between dread and utter euphoria about going. Looking forward to catching up with everyone, just wish I could leave the extra 30#s I've put on in the last 20 years home with a fattysitter that night!

Posted by KimG at July 9, 2006 11:54 PM

We WANT the POEM! We WANT the POEM!

I got 2 years till my 20th. Can't wait!

Posted by Andreia at July 10, 2006 9:56 AM

I read your book over the holiday. Loved it! My tenth reunion was last weekend, but I didn't go because I was lazy and didn't feel like putting up the social front. My sister-in-law went, though, so I get to experience it vicariously. I figure I'll go to my twentieth when people are less worried about making an impression.

Posted by Stephanie at July 10, 2006 11:12 AM

I think you should keep the stolen mag and frame it! I also think you should post the poem here. Here's what I'm imagining:

"I want to ride a wild white stallion
as if it were a Spanish galleon,
to somplace I can be alone!
Don't worry, I'll still have my phone."

See, it has to be better than what I'm imagining. :-D

Posted by DebR at July 10, 2006 1:48 PM

Hell, I sort of want to make out with Scott, after reading that.

(Sorry, Scott. Didn't mean to squick you out.)

Instead, I shall kiss Sylvia, perhaps. You have to tell about Sylvia next!

Posted by Mir at July 10, 2006 4:12 PM