Comments: Slotty!

Oh, they're crossed! As are my toes. This is most excellent news -- Congratulations!

Posted by Aimee at June 14, 2006 10:02 AM

oh, I'm so excited for you! Congrats :)
have both come across slottiness and felt it myself-- but not towards you, so I hope you can share more good news soon. xx

Posted by diane at June 14, 2006 10:09 AM

:crossing fingers:

Posted by Laua L at June 14, 2006 11:05 AM

yaaaaaaaaaa,
I knew you would be right up there with Danielle Steele. Now remember, you still have to blog!
I knew you were on your way when I saw you on Atlanta & co!!!!!!!!!

Posted by desi at June 14, 2006 11:13 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Can I be slotty if I only want the good slots for *you*? Because I do. And have everything crossed on your behalf, too!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is one of your most amazing posts EVER!!!!!!!

Posted by Cornelia Read at June 14, 2006 11:16 AM

Wow, did they really say that in the NYT? That makes me want to rush right out and buy it! Seriously. There are those of us who find that often what the critics don't like in popular fiction and movies is just the thing for us! (Eg., Failure to Launch--I LOVED that movie, and it got horrible reviews!) At least in your blog, your priapic prose is a lot of fun! And...

I am on my way to B&N today with my coupon for a free frap and 15% off an item because I'm a member of the club. Gods in Alabama is my pick for the day. Cross your fingers that they have it, and check your numbers later. ;) Maybe it was provident that BAM didn't have it last week--you needed sales today instead. Hehe.

I love your blog and thanks to Shanna for sending me this way last week! I have officially added slottiness to my list of character traits to avoid.

Posted by Julie at June 14, 2006 11:31 AM

Oh, wait! You were making that up...I feel silly now. Hehe. That's what I get for being a fast reader and typer. Think first, type later. :)

And I'm even the one who sends all the links to urban legend.com back to my family and friends who forward me stuff all the time. Sigh...you're obviously a better writer than those folks.

Posted by Julie at June 14, 2006 11:42 AM

I wanted to tell you I have had Gods In Alabama on my "must read" list for a very long time and I just got it this morning! I can't wait to read it! I am hoping the kids want to play outside today so I can go sit outside and read it while I watch them (or get lost in the book and totally forget the exist). I'm a super fast reader, so I expect that in a few days I will be heading back to the bookstore to get your next book.

Posted by tori at June 14, 2006 11:47 AM

Confirmation of what I already knew: You're amazing. Congratulations, Beautiful Tulip!

Posted by Amy-Go at June 14, 2006 11:50 AM

Way to go Joss, it is nice to see you and Arlene in the top three. This and Between, Georgia due to drop soon you must be in 7th heaven...which is way better than the 7th level...hmmm by several firey steps.

Posted by Cele at June 14, 2006 11:50 AM

Congrats - I really hope you win - your stories are pretty much the reason I have nothing to do with writing groups and conferences - as it is very easy to get sucked into the "now" of the audience and the whole little competition of it all.

I suggest getting people to send in stories of miraculous healings invovling your book to the judges - nothing helps tip the balance than a 14 page single spaced letter written in purple ink about how your book can heal anything from cold sores to athletes foot if placed upon the ailment under the full moon.

Posted by elizabeth McClung at June 14, 2006 12:07 PM

Ok, I'm such a dork, I thought you were serious about the NYT--I was trying to find the idiot would would dare insult you like that and was going to send them a very scathing email. Oops.

Congratulations on the nomination!! And hey, following Elizabeth's suggestion, I can say that I LAUGHED OUT LOUD while reading a funny part in gods in Alabama, all while waiting for a neurology appointment. So you *know* you're a good writer if you could take my mind off a doctor's appointment ;)

Personally, I think you should post all your good news ;)

Posted by Angel at June 14, 2006 12:26 PM

Angel beat me to it - I think you should go ahead and post all your good news too! Go ahead, deluge us with torrents of Newsie Goodness! We can take it, pinkie swear.

Congrats on the nomination! I haven't read the other two on the short list, nevertheless it is obvious to me you should win because a)you're pretty, b)I bet your shoes are better than theirs, c)your book title is best, and d)I read yours and loved it and I can make ANYTHING about me. It's a gift.

Also, is it terribly immature of me that the word "slotty" makes me snicker because it sounds like "slutty?"

Posted by DebR at June 14, 2006 1:06 PM

Omigosh, Joss! THAT IS SO AMAZING! Congratulations and good luck! (And you can't be so coy. What is your other good news???)

Posted by Martha at June 14, 2006 1:52 PM

Fingers crossed, and let us know the other good stuff so we can rejoice with you!

Posted by Dara at June 14, 2006 2:09 PM

I'm with all the others in wanting to know the other good news, so tell us already! We won't get slotty, cross our hearts!

Posted by dee at June 14, 2006 2:23 PM

Slottiness pervades and distracts. Its corollary in the corporate world (where slottiness exists too) is turfiness. Where turf is sacred and god help you if you step on a single blade of someone else's turf. It's as if there is an invisible fence around the turf, but the owner of the turf is the one wearing the shock collar, not you. And when they receive the electric shock, they beat you up (usually figuratively).

Posted by mothergoosemouse at June 14, 2006 2:32 PM

Congratulations! And thank you for the slotty reminder. It's easy to let yourself slip into jealousy. Harder to remember that doing it hurts only you.

I shuttled over to your blog via Cheeky Lotus last week and you have totally sold me. I plan to buy your book at lunch time today. If my understanding of the publishing industry is correct, that will glean you about 13 cents. So have another 13 cents! On me. Go buy yourself something nice.

Posted by Moose at June 14, 2006 2:38 PM

That is GREAT news -- please share the other good things, too! And out of all the blog entries of yours of read, this is one of my favorites -- I'm going to e-mail it to every writer friend I have. Thank you for writing it.

Posted by liz at June 14, 2006 7:13 PM

If I was forced to decide THE reason that I MOST adore you, I would be hard-pressed to decide between "because you're an awesome, funny friend" and "because you have taught me so much about how in this industry, you have the choice between celebrating your colleagues and learning from them or just being pissed whenever it's NOT YOU in the spotlight."

I am often guilty of being slotty. I've gotten so much better at NOT doing that, because of you. Because with you I've actually SEEN how much better it works when we assume we're all on the same team and that I can learn buckets from those who've pulled ahead. Which, incidentally, is SO MUCH MORE FUN than being jealous.

All good things for you, my friend. I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Posted by Mir at June 14, 2006 7:16 PM

Congrats on making the short list! So cool! I'm a-rootin' fer ya, of course.

Great post, too, even if I did have to look up priapic. I don't often run across words like that at my day job, y'know.

Posted by David at June 14, 2006 10:48 PM

I think it will be your weekend, Joshilyn. I believe you'll win the SIBA thing on the 19th and you'll win the Georgia Author of the Year for First Novel on the 18th. I feel like I should already say congrats!
Anywho...you're brilliant and it is high time you learned that.

Posted by tina at June 15, 2006 1:40 PM

June 19. On the calendar! And you better TOOT that horn!

Posted by Lena at June 15, 2006 10:06 PM

Joshilyn, you know I am such a huge fan...I will most certainly cross my fingers for you!

Posted by Julie at June 16, 2006 5:58 PM