Comments: 3 Questions with Deborah LeBlanc

ohhhhh, that trailer is too spooky!
It is wonderfully different. The only thing that bothers me, and this may seem silly...but it puts faces to characters. To me deciding what the characters look like is half the fun. If you see this trailer before reading the book, you can't help but see these actors as the characters in the book.

Posted by desi at June 12, 2006 10:29 AM

I do need to become a DLB groupie. Her writing is right up my warped and spooky alley.

Thanks, Joss.

Posted by Edgy Mama at June 12, 2006 10:58 AM

First of all, yes, I believe in the blinding adoreableness of Maisy and her magic purple dress.

The trailer: I went. I watched both versions. I also saw the other kinds the other times.

My opinion: I still like the music video-ish one the best. The shorter version of this live-actor one is my second favorite, followed by the longer version, with the excerpt/still shot images one stil being my least favorite.

What I liked about the music video-ish one was that it gave me only about as much information as I'd see on a jacket blurb, but it established a mood - gave me a sense of the FEEL of the story without actually giving anything away.

These live actor ones were interesting, but for me they felt a bit too much like movie trailers and one problem I have with movie trailers is that they often show too much - they show you the best parts of the story before you go see the whole thing. These seemed to me to err just a bit on the side of "too much information", particularly the longer version. It's a bit like what desi said above - if I watch a trailer showing me exactly what the house looks like, what actors the author would choose to play the people, it detracts just a teeensy bit from the experience of a book unfolding in my mind without preconceived notions of what people or places are "supposed" to look like. Minor quibble though - wouldn't stop me from buying the book if I thought the description sounded interesting. (And this does!)

The author-read excerpt/still images style is one that just didn't capture my interest at all. I might read a book despite that style trailer, but not because of it.

So far, the only trailer that would actively encourage me to buy the book is the cryptic music video style one.

Posted by DebR at June 12, 2006 11:05 AM

SCREAM, scream, scream!!!!!!!!!!
Why didn't you tell us you were going to be on Atlanta & CO???
I just so happened to leave the TV on & went about my business, I walk back into the room and what do I see? A hu-mon-gus blow up screen with giA! So I stop, scream & say, "OH NO SHE DIDN'T"!
AND THEN there you were, sitting there, big as day! your a *STAR*!
I love,love, love that you identify yourself as a southern writer.
That was a great interview! YOU GO GIRL!

Posted by desi at June 12, 2006 11:26 AM

I just saw you on Atlanta and Company! I have heard so much about you from my cousin Amy-go, so it was great to see you. Wonderful interview, and I look forward to your new book. Maybe we can meet, if we get Amy back in Atlanta!

Posted by susan at June 12, 2006 11:47 AM

I saw a display of paperback Gods in my B&N on Sunday in St. Paul, MN. Sorry, I wasn't aware of the assigned mission, so didn't have a camera handy.

Posted by Carrie at June 12, 2006 10:37 PM

Is it just me or is the girl in the advert's left hand a veritable Rorschsch test? Is it a slug of some sort? Is it the turtle you can draw for admission into art school? Do small children really do things like that with their fingers?

Posted by debra at June 12, 2006 10:58 PM

First of all, that is OBVIOUSLY a magic purple dress and Maisy's going to win some sort of award for sheer adorableness!

Secondly, we have giA on display at the shop, and if you'd like photos of both the hardcover and paperback edition displays, just shout and I'll send them right on out.

Third, I have a confession to make. I love trailers for movies. I really do. No idea why, but I do, so I really enjoyed the long trailer for "A House Divided". By the time I read the book, I suspect I will have forgotten the faces so I can superimposed the ones I want. So yes, I enjoyed this trailer, but I really like all the clever websites for books. One I really enjoy is Robert Ferrigno's "Prayers for the Assassin", which is an online newspaper of the world he created. What can I say? I'm a sucker for clever, and Deborah's is definitely clever!

Posted by Fran at June 13, 2006 12:55 AM