Comments: Overheard 5,000 Times at my House

I LOVE the cover pic! But I want someone who speaks Swedish to explain how "gods in Alabama" got turned into so many words. They've gotta be saying something extra in there, yes? Oh..a thought! Ok, I just tried an online translater and it says the title is now something like "Indeed Find the gods in Alabama." Interesting!

Posted by DebR at June 10, 2006 3:55 PM

Love the cover!

My little ol' local library had 2, count them . . . 2, copies of giA in hardback. My library, the one that normally doesn't have one copy of any book I'm looking for, had two copies gracing the shelves, and when I looked it up there were two more in circulation. Congratulations!

Posted by MichelleH at June 10, 2006 5:50 PM

As the token guy respondent, may I just say, YOW!Swedish Arlene is a TOTAL BABE! *gratuitous whistles and kissing noises* Lordy!

And congrats to you, Joshilyn! Anybody want to wager they'll buy Between, too?

You Pinch!

Posted by David at June 10, 2006 7:20 PM

I, for one, love exclamation points. Enthusiasm is a good thing. I might need to go out and get me some of that. Love the cover, she looks like she could be so naughty.

Posted by peek317537 at June 10, 2006 9:45 PM

Swedish Arlene is HOT! Peenchy! ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at June 10, 2006 9:57 PM

My stores didn't have it either, so now I will have to carry my camera with me every time I shop.

David stole my line. No not the one wiht the google eyes and kissy kissy noises...

You pinch!

Posted by C ele at June 10, 2006 11:56 PM

I went to the local mall here & went in to look for a book in Borders, and there just as proud as a new daddy was gods in Alabama! Sitting right at the head of the litature isle, all pretty & bright. I mumbled something about having a camera, my husband couldn't understand why I needed a camara in the book store.
I didn't answer him. I just peenched his butt & walked away laughing.
(and he ran to the car) :)

Posted by desi at June 11, 2006 3:50 PM

OMG that is the GREATEST cover! Except for what is with the BONANZA font? Well, okay, it's the whole "all Americans, they are the cowboy" thing, maybe?

Unfortnately, I can only say one thing in Swedish, and it is a Very Bad Thing, taught to me by a cool Swedish chick in Bali once, as the appropriate thing to say when Swedish dudes were being inappropriate in bars.

Hey, I maybe got asked to endorse guitar strings today... it is REALLY too bad that I do not actually play the guitar, but apparently having an appreciation for Bob Wills & His Texa Playboys is a Good Thing......

(okay, here is my Swedish: "Hey, dit gahm la slem spet." Apparently, calling a guy "you old slimy spear" in the Scando-lands is not a NICE thing." To my great embarrassment, this also works in Norwegian).

Posted by Cornelia Read at June 11, 2006 3:56 PM

p.s. My Mom always says that brunettes are the sought-after hotties in norge-sven-fin-mark world, as they're so rare as to be the stuff of dreams. SO, obviously Arlene is perceived by them to be not ONLY pouty and vulnerable, apres tequila-bottle swang, she is also, like, the Heerny-Peerny equivalent of Monroe/Mansfield... from the IKEA perspective.

Posted by Cornelia Read at June 11, 2006 4:01 PM

Okay, I made the mistake of showing my kids the commercial because they don't show it around these parts. Now I've seen it about 29 times and my son is walking around trying to pinch us.

Posted by peek317537 at June 11, 2006 7:16 PM

Sentences like this: "SO, obviously Arlene is perceived by them to be not ONLY pouty and vulnerable, apres tequila-bottle swang, she is also, like, the Heerny-Peerny equivalent of Monroe/Mansfield... from the IKEA perspective." are why I heart Cornelia. :-)

Posted by DebR at June 11, 2006 10:28 PM

Oh, DebR, I am hearting you right so much back.

We will be The Cowboy together American-Style, at El Rancho de Peench-O, Heerny-Peerny?

Posted by Cornelia Read at June 12, 2006 1:31 AM

That Arlene looks vulnerable, pouty, and like she's cruising to kick some more ass.

Posted by laura at June 12, 2006 11:49 AM

*Sigh* If I looked like that cover model, I would never wear anything but short sleeveless dresses, which I would casually rake up over my knees, and I would always wear red lipstick on my pouty lips, and my bangs would always fall in my eyes . I need to be more Swedish.

Posted by Elizabeth at June 12, 2006 2:33 PM

Conversation from my house:

Me: Read this! Isn't this funny? Here, look at this video!
Him: Yup, that's funny.
Me: I pinch! I pinch!

Later:
Me: I pinch!
Him: I pinch too!
Me: Hey! No! I am the crab who pinches!
Him: Can't we take turns?

Posted by Laura at June 15, 2006 6:45 PM