Comments: Hop, Skip, Prance

Did you read who is on the "also worth mentioning" list below your name?

John Updike... who will henceforth be known as John "pwned" Updike.

Posted by Mr. Husband at June 2, 2006 2:50 PM

YEAAAAAA, congrats!
well kind of, I guess. I just had a horrible thought! What if.....Joshilyn gets Danielle Steele BIG and stuff and wont talk to us anymore? Doesn't think we're pretty & wonderful for loving her? THEN WHAT? What WILL I do? I bet Danielle Steele is so stuck up, she would never talk to her readers, much less have a blog. Now I'm crying. Pleasssseee, don't be like her. I miss you already,sniff, snarfle, sniff.
disclaimer:
I have no idea if Danielle Steele is stuck up, BUT she has NEVER said I was pretty.
P.S
If you get on the TODAY show, you have to say HEY, to all of us....by name!

Posted by desi at June 2, 2006 3:34 PM

As Jack Sparrow once said, "There'll be no living with her after this." Preen, dear Joss! Preen!

Posted by David at June 2, 2006 3:34 PM

I yell. I admit it. But never, ever at Joshilyn. I may call her a butthead for teasing about exciting news without sharing, but I do so in gentle, loving tones meant to coax her into at least telling ME. She is exaggerating.

Now for the yelling: YIPPEE!! OMG THAT'S FANTASTIC! WE LOVE BOOKSENSE!! SQUEEEEEEE!!

Ok, gotta go yell at everyone else I know until they swear to buy Between the second it comes out. ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at June 2, 2006 3:39 PM

Woohoo! I have already pre-purchased my copy! AND that lovely person at the Alabama Bookseller place emailed me to let me know I'd be one of the first in Canada to get my signed copy! YAY!

I like how in that Booksense list, the only number is #1 and it's YOUR BOOK. Woohoo!

Posted by Heather Cook at June 2, 2006 5:10 PM

HOLY CRAP. I was reading down the list -- DID YOU BEAT FREAKIN' JOHN UPDIKE?! As in... you and he were thumb-wrestling in the back during a boring wedding, and you CREAMED HIM? Doesn't he have to give you something, now? You know, like, his marbles or something? Or his thumb? I'll have it, if you don't want Updike's thumb lying around.

Also, question #2, is that Margaret Ball the one that we know? You know the one that wrote... that other book, whatever it was? You know what I mean?

Posted by Lydia at June 2, 2006 7:16 PM

Ha ha! I popped over here to tell you I just got the new Publisher's Lunch, and Between, Georgia is the Booksense pick for July...

but I see you already know.

CONGRATULATIONS anyway!!

Posted by Katrina Stonoff at June 2, 2006 8:50 PM

We were SO jazzed to see that! We had our fingers crossed, of course, but you never know. Of course I was grumbly that not only did they not pick my blurb for "Between" which was much more gushy, but they skipped my blurb for Laurie King's book too. I'm feeling snubbed, but ever so proud because I bet I blurbed you FIRST! Well, even if I didn't, I'm gonna say I did. Insider knowledge (and a copy of the manuscript instead of the ARC - you really do spoil us at SMB, Peach!) gave us the edge, and we absolutely CANNOT wait for the next one!

Oh, and Cornelia was wonderful to meet! I'll be posting a picture of her, and Lee, with Ducky on my blog any minute now. Next year, we want dibs on you, though!

Posted by Fran at June 2, 2006 11:04 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Can't wait to read it!

Posted by Jessica at June 2, 2006 11:13 PM

RE: the pwnzzorred Mr. Updike: It's all very fun to now claim I own his thumb and try to decide if I should mount it on my wall or make it into a necklace, but my reverence for the fellow FORCES me to pause in my revolting preening and ACKNOWLEDGE the man's superior and extraordinary genius.

BookSense is intended to draw attention to new or midlisty books and authors that the independents think should break out and be more widely known (that would be me, YAY! YAY! BOOKSENSE! YOUR LIPS TO GODS EARS! YAY!) Very few people need help from BookSense to discover that the latest Amy Tan rocks the vote or that Kazuo Ishiguro is a genius.

BookSense DOES highlight books by well established and famous authors but usually only when the latest work is somehow a stretch or a new direction or a personal best for that author. BookSense is generally HEAVY on the mid-listers and debut authors. For Mr. Updike to appear at all is an indication that this must be a watershed work for him, which, considering his body of work, COME ON, that's saying something.

I will be reading it come July, that's for sure and certain.

Posted by Joshilyn at June 3, 2006 9:31 AM

Woot! Go Joss! I cannot wait to get my hands on between.

Posted by Heather at June 3, 2006 9:40 AM

My lord, not only so brilliant and pretty, but SO GENTEEL, feeling the need to come and assure us all that Updike is a great author, too, lest lightning strike you down. I hope no one needed reassurance that Updike can write. And I'm sure he's thrilled to know you'll be reading his new book. ;)

Still. Gloat a little. You earned it!

Posted by Mir at June 3, 2006 11:11 AM

World on Fire, this is most excellent Joss.

Posted by Cele at June 3, 2006 11:28 AM

So happy for you and also? Somewhat proud, like Booksense have finally discovered what I have known for a while now- that you write a mean book baby! Congrats and I have already ordered my copy too. I can't wait. Smooches!

Posted by Nic at June 3, 2006 6:14 PM

Peach, I know you're being self-effacing and it's so SWEET, but the James Lee Burke and Laurie R. King that you beat out are NOT watershed works (although I still maintain Laurie's is original in it's own way, it may be the end of that particular series - I hope not, but it may be - and it's a fabulous book) but are parts of an established and very, very popular series.

So do revel in the fact that you are NUMBER ONE, because you DESERVE it and you absolutely SHOULD be riding on clouds!

Posted by Fran at June 4, 2006 2:33 PM

Yay! That is fantastic news! Must go pre-order now.

Posted by Aimee at June 5, 2006 10:38 AM

I'm days behind here, but had to pop on just to say Yaaayyy!!!

Posted by DebR at June 5, 2006 1:29 PM

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to read your new book!! Hurry up, July!

Posted by Angel at June 5, 2006 8:19 PM