Comments: The Terrible True Story of What Happened on Mother's Day

OMG! So tiny, so cute!!! Little baby gerbil!!!

Posted by stephanie at May 21, 2006 5:43 PM

Adorable! And you are hilarious!!

Posted by Katie at May 21, 2006 6:54 PM

wow, what a fun thing for your kids to, um, witness!! In a disturbing kind of way... yes, you better got those gerbils all sorted out before there are more on the way!

They are cute, though :)

Posted by Tiff at May 21, 2006 9:50 PM

Don't you love the professional folks at the pet store, who swear on their dogs lives that, nooooo, they are all boys/girls. We check very carefully before we put them all in one cage. ohhh, pregnant! NO, they're just a little chubby. I took mine back to the pet store 2 weeks later,(the babies,that is) handed them back to the 17 yr old professional hampster sexer, and said congratulations, your a daddy, handed him 12 baby hampsters, turned around and left & didn't look back. It felt really good. There would have been 13 but mama got hungry & my 6 yr got to see that. I think that's what made me mad/brave enough to take them back to their rightful owner.

Posted by desi at May 21, 2006 10:06 PM

And yet all I see are Blog Prizes when you run out of ARCs and Nonny's.

They are cute, though. Good luck with your plan. How do you propose to figure out the gender? If the gerbil picks up a pink bow it can stay --- else it is out of here?

Posted by Patricia at May 21, 2006 10:10 PM

Nah, the amazing thing is that the Friendly Brothers gave birth to miniature Pit Bull puppies ... just adorable ... years ago we bought a little MALE puppy, who played nicely with the neighbour's dog, and gave us eight surprises ... my Mum was sooooo happy.
God bless,

Posted by Christine in Los Angeles at May 21, 2006 10:28 PM

I'm sorry, but...RATS! RATS is what they are! I have TRAPS in my basement for things that look mightily like the item this picture shows cuddled up against you! My cat sometimes brings me DEAD items such as these and I PRAISE him for it and give him extra food and allow him to continue living with me for it! Eeew, eew, eew. RATS!
Pretty skirt, though. ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at May 21, 2006 10:30 PM

Amy-Go, you took the words out of my mouth, right down to the pretty skirt!

Posted by Cathy at May 21, 2006 10:58 PM

Now...didn't you mean to say that these were the DARLING MANIFESTATIONS of the WONDER of motherhood that graced your special day? Isn't that what you MEANT?

Posted by Kira at May 22, 2006 12:35 AM

I have to say your children get a real education in your household. But really I don't want to win any non-arc or very cute non-Brother Bobby creatures.

Posted by Cele at May 22, 2006 1:25 AM

:::Melt:::

After hearing about hamsters all year from my daughter (they had MULTITUDES in their classroom) I was ready for a more horrifying ending for the baby gerbils. SO glad it was not *that* kind of a Mother's Day!

Posted by Angel at May 22, 2006 2:10 AM

Um, yeah. So I'm wondering how you are going to decide who is male and who is female what with the steller record of gender assignment so far..?

Posted by Nic at May 22, 2006 9:46 AM

At the risk of being called the creepy rat lady.... this is why we had pet rats. Very easy to tell the boys from the girls.

Posted by Laura L at May 22, 2006 10:02 AM

I, too, was braced for a more horrifying ending having had some cannibalistic gerbils as a girl. I'm glad things didn't go that way. It seems like a fairly unsolvable dilemma in terms of repeated breeding -- I vote for bringing them back to the store and letting them deal with it. Or, is it possible to have hamsters neutered?

Posted by Aimee at May 22, 2006 11:11 AM

GERBILS. Is it possible to have gerbils neutered, is what I meant.

Posted by aimee at May 22, 2006 11:12 AM

Amy, shame on you!

Baby gerbils are PRECIOUS, cute clean little things!

But what a weekend Joshilyn! :0
Really, can any future mother's days live up to it? ;) xx

Posted by diane at May 22, 2006 11:25 AM

I had the same thing happen as desi did... bought myself a brand new BOY teddy bear hamster and it turned out that he was a Mommy To Be...

Posted by Heather Cook at May 22, 2006 12:00 PM

Thank you for making me laugh 'till I cried this morning. I needed that. What a weekend for you, though! How are you going to separate the boys from the girls, anyway?

Posted by Melessa at May 22, 2006 12:02 PM

Ah, a wee beastie. Whee! Beasties! Very cute.

Posted by laura at May 22, 2006 1:03 PM

I'll take two. But tell them I'm not paying for the gender reassignment surgery.

Posted by Edgy Mama at May 22, 2006 3:35 PM

That's a good skirt for masking gerbil tinkle, too!

Posted by Lydia at May 22, 2006 4:24 PM

RATS, Diane, RATS! ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at May 22, 2006 6:00 PM

I cried, I laughed. I want a gerbil. But only one.

Posted by Becki at May 22, 2006 8:01 PM

I would assume gerbils can be ..."fixed", eh? I once had a hamster with breast cancer (no lie) and paid 90 bucks for surgery to remove THAT, so why not ALL reproductive organs on rodents? I mean, makes sense.

Posted by Janet at May 22, 2006 9:14 PM

Awww....

Posted by Heather at May 22, 2006 9:32 PM

Apparently Penn Gilette (of Penn & Teller) and his wife are related to gerbils. From E! News Online:

OH, BABY! Penn Jillette and his wife, Emily setting a second child up for a lifetime of teasing by naming their newly arrived son Zolten Penn. Their daughter, Moxie CrimeFighter, was born last June.

Posted by hollygee at May 23, 2006 12:31 PM