Comments: On Contemplating Plagiarism

I knew that line sounded familiar! I too love Julie, she's so smart and funny and her last post regarding the Cathlolic teacher who was canned for using IVF was fascinating.

Posted by Nic at May 16, 2006 8:43 AM

Oh, and the rear description sounds like a bad thing- I'd rather my tail didn't resemble fighting animals...

Posted by Nic at May 16, 2006 8:45 AM

My heart is broken. I looked at the tour dates, and my stalking self is just sitting here crying because you aren't coming to Raleigh anytime soon. What did I do? Was it because I asked about the pink socks? I swear I don't care. You can never ever tell the pink sock story and I will never ever bring it up again, just don't cut me out of your life like this. Sniff sniff....what am I going to do..my world is over....Grins...wish you were coming this way, but I know thing are hectic on the tour schedule. We are talking about making a trip to Atlanta to see Wicked....maybe we can get you and Mr. Wonderful to come see it with us.

Posted by Gabi at May 16, 2006 8:45 AM

1. I think you should delurk to Julie. Anyone who would write that line could clearly be a potential friend of yours. Then you could send her a copy of "giA" and she will love it and then you could ask if you could use the line in a future book in exchange for some sort of dedication, like: "thank you to Julie for giving me my favorite line in the book" which would be really fun because then everyone who reads it would be trying to figure out what your favorite line is and no one would know except people who stop by FTK regularly and we could all lord it over other mere mortal readers and laugh manically while wielding our awesome power and....uh....where was I? Oh yeah. You should delurk to Julie, seriously!

2. I've always assumed the possum-butt thing to be bad, simply because possums are such unattractive little buggers, sort of like rats on steroids. And I know the possums are in a sack so we aren't actually SEEING them, but still you KNOW what they look like in there. I think for me to think that saying was describing something good it would have to be something like "Watch her walk----her back end looks like two speckled pups fighting in a sack." Now that has cuteness potential!

Posted by DebR at May 16, 2006 9:51 AM

Oh-my-Lord, Joshilyn,
how can you think 2 possoms fightin' can look good on anybody? CASE IN POINT: STEELE MAGNOLIAS! The best movie God ever made. In the dance floor scene, Dolly says (something like) my lord, look at her in that dress, it's so tight, it looks like two possoms fightin in there, I haven't left my house without licra since I was 15.(shot of dancing big fat woman's butt without licra) Have an open mind, and rethink this. :)

Posted by desi at May 16, 2006 9:54 AM

On the possum butt:
I, with my total Southern roots firmly planted in the soil of Alabama though my road has taken me to the heathen world out of the South, have always believed that the phrase was more about the fact that a woman's pants were too tight. You see, no one's butt would look good when smushed up in a skirt or pants that would cause blood flow to be restricted. So, while I believe that the phrase indicates a "bad thing" -- I believe it is more the whole look and not just the butt alone. In proof of my position, I will also refer to the film Steele Magnolias. Note the lyrca comment AFTER the "pigs in a sack" comment.
So I must ask, Josh, have you been told your butt looks like two possums fighting in a sack and thus you took it as a compliment? And have you ever said this to someone's face -- a surefire why to know if it is a compliment or an insult -- we Southerns so rarely compliment someone behind their backs.

Posted by Patricia at May 16, 2006 10:08 AM

Good grief I hope no one would ever say ANYTHING so personal about my butt to my face, whether they meant it nicely or not! I don't think "hey lady, nice tush" is so much a compliment as ....hugely innappropriate and creepy. And "Hey Lady, your tush is NOT nice" is hugely innappropriate, creepy AND mean.

I had FORGOTTEN that steel mags version. I read it in a short story by I THINK Ferrol Sams, and it was said LECHEROUSLY in my recollection, and the girl with the possum butt turns out to be the daughter of the man sitting by the possum-butt-lecher. So perhaps it was NOT a comment on the butt -- perhaps you are right. Perhaps it means the PANTS are trampytight!

The short version of my name is actually Jos or Joss, for the record, and the H is silent in the long version, so it's pronounced exactly as Jocelyn is. If you want to know why it is SPELLED one way and pronounced another, I shall refer you to my mother. If she tells you, please explain it to me?

Posted by Joshilyn at May 16, 2006 10:15 AM

The key to the possum-butt/sack-of-ferret-butt distinction is that there are TWO possums. A butt pretty much looks good if it can be represented as two of anything. I'm thinking there are about a half dozen ferrrets in a sack (10 if you're metric), and your butt should never look like 6 (or ten) of anything.

In the southwest, we express it as "two puppies fighting in a sack", because puppies are cuter than possums, and we don't have possums.

Posted by The One True Josh at May 16, 2006 10:25 AM

As a connoisseur of all things "Steel Magnolias," I must beg to differ. The line is, "It looks like two pigs fightin' under a blanket" and it refers not just to the woman's BUTT, but to her stomach and her butt, both of which are protruding without benefit of lycra. One lump in front, one in back. Now CLEARLY a bag full of ferrets would be bad, and had Joss not explained the roundness of the possums, I would have thought that was bad, too.

Posted by Aimee at May 16, 2006 10:37 AM

OK, Joshilyn
would it be plagiarism if you reworded it a little to something like this? ....
mama'un'us, we just been thinkin, we might oughta start prayin to the Holy Spirit, cause we done used up God'n'Jesus.
Because where I come from it would really be said like that. In Tn. wur jus po-et-ic like that.
(feel free to use any of the above, without fear of plagiarism)

Posted by desi at May 16, 2006 10:39 AM

OK, I'm sorry, this Virgo personality has to ask you: when you used 'tauntly' was that a typo?

Cause, cause, cause my little paperback Webster's at work says:
Taunt: v - to jeer at, deride. n - A scornful remark.
Taut; adj - Pulled or drawn tight.

I'm sorry, it just was glowing neon and pulsing off and on and I couldn't ignore it.

Posted by hollygee at May 16, 2006 10:55 AM

I'm with DebR (of course this happens with some frequency) delurk and just send gods to her. She will love you. You can borrow with acknowledgement and we will all live happily ever after.

Posted by Cele at May 16, 2006 11:33 AM

Joss, I'm all for coming out of the bushes to Julie... I bet she'd plotz for joy over giA, you should totally send her a copy. (She's originally from Louisiana, you know?) Incidentally, you introduced me to Julie's blog a couple of months ago, and I stayed up till 3am that night reading the archive and cackling my ass off. She's now on my must-check-daily blog list too, even tho I've never dealt with infertility. I just think that she has such a great way with words and can't wait to read the next thing she posts! (Actually, that pretty much describes you too... your blog and hers are the only ones I read obsessively and laugh every time there's something new!)

Posted by Jenn at May 16, 2006 12:03 PM

If it's not Southern, it ought to be. Maybe you should just adopt it and teach it to eat grits and drink sweettea (in Southern, it IS one word). You should definitely delurk and ask her.

Posted by Carter at May 16, 2006 12:56 PM

Joss, please forgive me -- I feel horrible to have mis-shortened your name. I promise to never do it again (though if I get an answer from your mother, I will share) and will never discuss your butt to your face or behind your, um, behind either.
Deal? Forgiven? PLEASE.

Posted by Patricia at May 16, 2006 3:44 PM

"so long have I crouched silently in her bushes"

*raises eyebrow*

So, Joss, the possum thing is a BAD thing because the possums are FIGHTING, therefore, the butt is doing much more jiggle-jiggle than is ghetto worthy. And have you ever SEEN two possums fighting? I have. It makes big, fierce dogs run in fear with their tails between their legs. Not. Good.

And I totally have a blog crush on you. I pimp you on my LiveJournal all the time, but I am WAY too embarrassed to share it with you.

Maybe one day I, too, will sit at the big kids table.

Posted by Angela at May 16, 2006 4:51 PM

Anything fighting in a sack is NOT GOOD if it describes something attached to your body. Implies movement where there should be none. Ick.

Posted by Amy-GO at May 16, 2006 5:33 PM

Bowing, awestruck to Julie, to whom I, also, am devoted in slathering fandom.

One of my fact Southernwhatever lexiconicalments is: It's so good it makes me wanna slap my Mama.

Anyone wanna explain that one?

Posted by Edgy Mama at May 16, 2006 6:18 PM

Now you know how I felt when I first came upon YOUR blog. *grins*

Posted by Heather at May 16, 2006 7:58 PM

It means it better be the best thing that ever passed your lips, so good it will make said mama forget that her child just slaped the most sacred thing in the south next to Jesus & Sweetea. cause if it aint, mama is gonna throw a hissy fit all over the place and said child is going to meet Jesus mighty quick.
But, of course this is only theory. Because no real southerner, in their right mind or even crazy for that matter has ever slapped their mama...and lived to tell about it. It's been told around camp fires you automaticly die.

Posted by desi at May 16, 2006 8:12 PM

Edgy Mama,

We also say, "So good it'll make your tongue slap your brains out". Have ya heard that one?

Posted by Angela at May 16, 2006 9:06 PM

Okay, I laughed plenty at this entry, but I plum smooth fell over and died when I got to the metric ferrets. (Obviously, my ghost is writing this for me.)
And I cast my vote "aye" on the delurking on Julie.

Posted by David at May 16, 2006 9:32 PM

Desi,
You are soooooo wise, girl.

I've never heard the tongue slapping lexiconment, Angela. Sounds pretty gross, though.

Posted by Edgy Mama at May 17, 2006 9:41 AM

The first rule of Possum-fight-butt is - you don't talk about Possum-fight-butt.

Posted by laura at May 17, 2006 4:18 PM