Comments: Down With The D Word / Three Questions with Alana Morales

Dude, it's been eons since I questioned the calling of dude. I am down with the dudeness.

Word.

Posted by Mir at May 9, 2006 12:02 AM

Ever since we saw Finding Nemo, we all say "Dude" LOL Gotta love Crush ;)

Now you *have* to watch Dude, Where's My Car?

Posted by Angel at May 9, 2006 1:01 AM

Somehow I got into the habit of calling my two-year-old Dude. Do you know how embarrassing that is to let it slip in front of your in-laws? Almost as bad as an expletive.

Posted by liz at May 9, 2006 7:22 AM

My six year old is now affectionately known as Little Dude.

He started with the Dude-ing at about three...

That might've had a little something to do with my response to bad drivers in New England... which is: DUDE! (better than cursing when your kids are in the car, right?)

Nothing funnier than a three year old piping up from the backseat... DUDE!

Posted by stephanie at May 9, 2006 9:53 AM

Dude. I say that ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I have no idea where I picked it up from. My most commonly used version is:

"Dude." Which means: You are NOT serious.

See, I can use it in context:

"And then, she TOTALLY cut me off and gave me the finger!"

"Dude."

This comment has been brought to you by too much medication.

Posted by Heather Cook at May 9, 2006 10:16 AM

I use "Dude" as my all-inclusive word for people who are driving stupidly. "Dude, use a turn signal!" "Dude! Don't cut me off!" "Dude!!!!!" My kids know this and tease me about it, but it's truly an all-inclusive, gender-neutral term. I sometimes throw in a "Dudette" but mostly it's just "Dude." It works for me.

Posted by Pattie at May 9, 2006 12:09 PM

I received a not-so-polite request from the husband recently not to call him dude. Or say LIKE all the time. But seriously, I SO live with a teen and 2 tweens. Like, I can't stop saying it, dude!

Posted by AGK at May 9, 2006 2:50 PM

My sons have contracted the use of the word "tight" to mean "of exceeding value." Therefore I hear the following sort of exchange all day,
"Did you see that bike?"
"Tight."
"Yeah. Tiiight."

I cannot use "tight." I would be more likely to use "bling," and I cannot do that either.
Dude.

Posted by Kira at May 9, 2006 3:36 PM

I think if I had a kid like Sam, I'd find a bunch of early-1900's British books in which the characters call each other 'old chap' and describe things as 'ripping.' See if I could start a new trend....

As a side effect, 'dude' begins to register as 'fop,' which makes life interesting.

Posted by kate q at May 9, 2006 5:25 PM