Comments: Picture Salad, LEADING UP TO TOMORROW'S NEW CONTEST FOR DELIGHTFUL PRIZES LA LA!

All that talent in one family? Your parents must be so proud...

Posted by Karen at April 13, 2006 1:20 PM

I LOVE your brother's drawings!

And I'm totally with you on that goody two-shoes little Rainbow Fish!

Posted by Edgy Mama at April 13, 2006 2:16 PM

I hate that Rainbow Fish. He's just Socialist propaganda. Oh, I'm sorry. Do I sound crazy?

I love Horace's little feet - they almost look like little cloven hooves, which would be appropriate, since he is very, very bad.

Posted by laura at April 13, 2006 2:26 PM

Bob is very attractive. Is he single? Does he now reside on the right coast or did he have to turn left again to go home? Do I sound desperate? Please, please don't answer that.

Posted by hollygee at April 13, 2006 2:32 PM

I am so with you on the 'Rainbow Fish' thing. How creepy is that book? I'm all for encouraging my kids to share, but ripping off bits and pieces of yourself so that others will like you? Making yourself less 'you' so that other people feel better about themselves? Not so much.

My son loooooves the 'Series of Unfortunate Events' books. He keeps saying "the last book (which comes out this October, appropriately enough on Friday 13) BETTER NOT HAVE A HAPPY ENDING!!!". I think he would have loved your Horace. He's a villainophile.

Posted by Laura at April 13, 2006 2:44 PM

I do and have always detested the Rainbow Fart Fish.

I adore Horace.

I think your contest should be: Whoever is named Angela and lives in Birmingham and reads this blog wins.

OH LOOK! A winner already!!!

Posted by Angela at April 13, 2006 3:23 PM

*sigh*
I want those books. Raphael would love those books, and would belly laugh at the pictures of Horace. WAIT! I'll show him Horace!
*time lapse*
As expected, he laughed, which drew his brothers. Max wanted to know WHAT HAPPENED, and was irritated when I said I didn't know.
So. Tell the publishing world that Max wants to know what happened to Horace, and Raphael is annoyed that there are no more pictures of Horace.

Posted by Kira at April 13, 2006 3:39 PM

I. WANT. THAT. BOOK!!!! It looks just hysterical! Since you have an in at Warner, have you thought about trying to pitch it again? Horace is marvelous!

Posted by Beth at April 13, 2006 4:34 PM

I *love* Horace! He's perfectly cranky-looking. I second what Beth said -- why not see if Warner would be interested? If every wackadoo non-writing celebrity under the sun can publish a children's book, there's no earthly reason why you shouldn't, too.

Posted by Aimee at April 13, 2006 4:44 PM

Aw ya'll're sweet and Horace IS unendurably awesome, but I have so much on my plate---I can't imagine trying to promote a children's series right now.

I want to get Between properly launched and I want to finish this book I am writing for Warner right now. I can't see past that--- I am so buried I can't even see my FEET. If I added "find, edit, polish, sell, and promote children's series all stages of which must be co-ordinated with artist and other writer" to my to do list, I think my head would pop off.

Let me just get this book done please.

Posted by joshilyn at April 13, 2006 4:49 PM

I'm down with any contest that involves me being a winner. Hmmm--- let's see, think we can make that happen? ;)

I love Horace too -- I think I may need to interview dogs to find a real life Horace, sidenote: Horace is a TRULY wonderful puppy name, will file for future doggies.

Posted by patricia at April 13, 2006 5:24 PM

My daughter, quoting Jane Yolen who I will now semi-misquote, says that the Triumverate of Evil is Rainbow Fish, The Giving Tree and Love You Forever. (Yolen may say Of Mediocrity, but she's being tactful...)

Posted by rams at April 13, 2006 8:43 PM

You could have a contest to see who can write the best story of how Horace kills the Rainbow Fish. Just a slightly evil thought.

Did Bob ever get to the point of wanting to have sex with the character you wanted him to want to have sex with in Between? (I hope you know who/what I mean because I am way too lazy to go through the archives and find pesky details like character names.)

I love your brother's drawings.

Posted by DebR at April 13, 2006 10:26 PM

As it's agreed everyone loves naughty Horace perhaps your contest should be a description of THE DEED that caused his banishment to the Soup Mines. Or an explanation of what, exactly, constitutes a Soup Mine. Or even, perhaps, a scientific argument for or against the theory that global warming will lead to Condensed Soup Mines in the future.
Can you make Hachette (ohh la la) pay to bring you back north for Between?
Please? Pretty, pretty please?

Posted by debra at April 13, 2006 11:02 PM

Joss you are delightful. And to everyone else, brother Bobby's work is awesome...so be prepared to scrabble it out for the prize... oh an neee ner, neee ner, nee ner! I'm soooo gloating in my specialness - okay so I'm a legend in my own mind, don't burst my bubble.

Posted by Cele at April 14, 2006 12:26 AM

I think we still have that stinking Rainbow fish tripe around here somewhere. I always hated it. Let's let Horace eat the Rainbow fish while gleefully asserting his individuality! Now that's a book I would buy.
I can't wait for the contest! ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at April 14, 2006 9:54 AM

Ms. J you are so pretty, and Horace could make me want to actually own a dog in real life, but only if he could have those eyebrows and little cloven Horace feet. Your bro is AMAZING!!!

And I lurv Angela's "Rainbow Fart Fish." And also the idea of Horace killing him in myriad ways for your contest, a la DebR's suggestion.....

Posted by Cornelia Read at April 15, 2006 12:14 AM

Wait, what, you want us to eat muppets? Is this a southern thing? I remember the grits, but not muppets. Was I a lot drunker on that trip than I remember??

Posted by Mir at April 15, 2006 1:40 AM

Now I'm feeling trashy because I kinda DO like the Rainbow Fish. But that's probably because it IS socialist propaganda and I'm just like that. Admittedly, I never thought of it as ripping out chunks of your own flesh just so people would like you better. I just like the pretty sparkly scales and I think it's nice when everyone has one ... yeah, it's pretty much just that I'm a flaming socialist.

The Giving Tree, however, is clearly a glorification of co-dependent relationships, and should be burned. The book, I mean. I sure don't want that tree to suffer anymore. Just get some therapy, tree!

Posted by TrudyJ at April 15, 2006 6:44 AM

Okay, I read above that you have too much to do already and can't re-pitch this book now, but the first thing I thought when reading this was "yes! But now! Lemony Snicket and Neil Gaiman (The Day I Sold My Dad for Two Goldfish) and the Happy Hocky Family and all kinds of edgy weird and/or pseudo-Victorian stuff is IN right now. It will sell, people will think it's cool. I'm a school librarian and I KNOW."

But then I read your comment, so okay, I understand! Write, please, not least so I can have something to read in summer 2007 or 2008 when I need a break from endless kids' books. But please don't forget about it! Because I would so buy it for my library. And then when some kid asked for Rainbow Fish I could say, "Well, it's checked out, but how about THIS?"

Posted by elswhere at April 15, 2006 2:02 PM

I had a post not too long ago on the three branches of the Triumverate of Mediocrity. Branch One: Rainbow Fish. Branch Two: Giving Tree. Branch Three (and I'm surprised no one has mentioned this): Love You Forever. Now if we consider how hot the current market is for kids books, weigh in the fact that you are talented beyond measure, and take your galleys to heart then you have a better chance now of getting them published than ever. By the way, Rainbow Fish isn't socialist propaganda. I never met a socialist who enjoyed lobbing off body parts because they looked too sparkly. But that's just me.

Posted by Fuse #8 at April 19, 2006 12:50 PM