Comments: The Terrible Thing With A Snake (Part 2 of Yesterday's Squall)

Okay, I can relax- she writes! Congrats Joshilyn, it sounds like in a crying, puking kinda way you and your book are both growing. I can't wait to see the results. Smooches to you.

Posted by Nic at April 11, 2006 9:31 AM

How? How do you always make me laugh? Where do you come up with it all? Screaming batcrap? *ROFLMAO* You are priceless, do you hear me? Priceless! Thank God you still maintain at least a modicum of Mental Illness. I'm glad you're typity-type-typing again, and glad it's a kinder, gentler process for you now. Oh, and just so you know I'm not schmoozing, Amy-Go is right, you are TOTALLY becoming a better person. Of course, you're a pretty good one right now and I'll bet there's plenty of folks that'll back me up on that. So there!
P.S. R.I.P the poor little snake.

Posted by David at April 11, 2006 10:30 AM

"After I was finished throwing up, I stood looking at the snake and then I understood my book." ~ For some reason, this made me bawl. Breakthroughs come in the weirdest and most unexpected places. I'm sorry you had to go through that to get there, but glad you put the snake out of its misery. And very glad that you found the path through.

Posted by Aimee at April 11, 2006 10:36 AM

I'm with Aimee and David. I laughed, I cried, and that's just at the blog post about how you started writing the book again. How the hell will I react to the book??

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if it hadn't been the snake something else would have made the idea click for you at some point, perhaps without death and puking. So we'll hope for a non-violent epiphany the next time around. This time, I'm just glad to hear you're past the wall and writing again.

Posted by DebR at April 11, 2006 10:49 AM

I have an "unreasonable" fear of snakes. I think it is very stupid for fear to demand reason. But there you have it the balance of reason and fear. I know snakes have good and bad places in this world. If they want my backyard, I will gladly work in the front while they gobble up badly little bugs in my poseys. I will try to abide.

You were ever so kind to the poor little snake - I would have been blaising the trail for Sam and Maisey to the basement Rec-room while figuring out disposal with a 10 foot handled shovel (Mine is only 4.5 feet long.)

Hallehalujah! Joss is writing again, the world is turning around, and many live in peace with healthly mental numbers. I have to admit I was worried when you said you weren't writing and not worried about it.

Posted by Cele at April 11, 2006 11:27 AM

Oh, I wish I had enough sleep last night to respond to this glorious post with a tiny modicum of that massive applause it so deserves. And it *itself* should get the Pulitzer, IMHO.

Was kept awake by unicycle-banging child from 2:30-5:30, however, so it just made me cry and I can't think of enough glowing things to type about it well enough to do justice.

YAY YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted by Cornelia Read at April 11, 2006 11:34 AM

You rock, glad you found your way.., the snake appreciates it too, but write, WoW will be here....grins, and hopefully won't be so dang slow. Hugs to Mr. Husband and kids, who I'm sure are relieved you are the Snake Goddess...we need to get you a new character, SNKGOD in game...Horde or Alliance?...Smiles and hugs....

Posted by Gabi at April 11, 2006 12:31 PM

1) I love you.
2) I love Scott. ("Do you need me to come home and... fix the snake?")
3) I am sorry for the snake, but I also think he was your very own personal sign and as the lives of snakes go, that's pretty cool.
4) I could not drink flaming anything while reading your writing; I would end up singing off my eyebrows.

Posted by Mir at April 11, 2006 12:33 PM

I love your blog. I do not always comment but you always make me laugh and remind me to get back to writing!
This post also gives me hope. I am so glad that there are husbands out there who would offer to leave work to "fix the snake for you!"
(Congrats and hugs regarding that event!)

Posted by LoryKC at April 11, 2006 2:06 PM

Joshilyn, You are FABULOUS. Not only do I LOVE your book BUT I love your blog. And I especially love how willing you are to share the process with us all. You give me hope for my own writing and allow me to stop beating myself up and carry on with writing as well. [I say, 'Well, Joshilyn has these little mental health outages and SHE is clearly a writer, a real one. So... I could be one too! These little fits of writing insanity don't preclude me.']

And I love most of all that just when I think I'm reading some nice little story about a woman killing a snake and I'm laughing... you pull out this wonderfully wise thing and KPOW it on me.

Nice. Very nice. You're my Hero of the Week!

Alicia

Posted by Alicia at April 11, 2006 3:02 PM

Redemption, fixing dead snakes alive in the driveway, redneck professors, Zen, flaming cocktails - your blog has it all. Thank you!

Posted by Lilymane at April 11, 2006 4:00 PM

I smiled, I sniffled, and I have to know... Did you ever make it to the grocery store?

Posted by Christina at April 11, 2006 5:05 PM

I am with Christina, did you ever make it to Kroegers? I have a child that has used the word "actually" since she was 3. I understand Sam. Only in the South can one have an ephinany over a dead alive snake. : )

Posted by Robbie at April 11, 2006 8:16 PM

Brava

Posted by rams at April 11, 2006 8:43 PM

Yes, you are right, that's me looking skeptical, because I SEE YOU! I see you GROWING AS A PERSON! Do NOT try to fool me! The mentally ill do not handle such things gracefully nor do they have full-blown epiphanies over poor pitiful snakes dying in their driveways! The mentally ill scream and flap and totally miss the point and they MAKE SCOTT COME HOME AND FIX IT. YOU are growing as a person. Face it. ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at April 11, 2006 9:42 PM

That's the second time today you've made me weepy, Peach, and I thank you for both!

When you write your book on how to write books, be sure this blog is in there, verbatim! It's brilliant, as are you!

Posted by Fran at April 11, 2006 10:18 PM

Loved this post!
But I have to admit to being very sad for that poor snake.
I would have puked also.

Posted by Kim at April 11, 2006 10:44 PM

Country girl??

Posted by RonTarbox at April 11, 2006 11:25 PM

I think this post was amazing. Thank you for writing it and sharing it with all of us.

Posted by Pattie at April 12, 2006 8:26 AM

Congrats on getting over/through! I'm currently reading gods in Alabama and loving it and can't wait for your next book to come out! Keep writing because I'm sure I'll keep loving what you write.

Posted by Jessie at April 12, 2006 9:03 AM

No, that's a totally legitimate epiphany!!! Your writer's heart kicked in and recognized a heroic moment-- heroism that was also sad, beautiful, pitiful, brutal, scary, sympathetic and nauseating. That there's writer territory!

Thanks for another great post.

Posted by Renee at April 12, 2006 9:37 AM

"The books I write are driven by character, not some underlying brilliant theme, and they don't have any sort of international scope. They have a strong sense of place and are often funny and suspenseful"

This sounds a lot like the Pulitzer prize winner "A Confederacy of Dunces" by O'Toole.....

In your books, and in your blog, you have a profound way of writing light humor which cleverly disguises gut-wrenching emotion which seems to appear out of nowhere and turns the universe on its head. Thank you for sharing the entire story of the snake and not just ending with throwing up and (eventually) going to the grocery store. Something good came out of that awful experience.

Posted by Elizabeth at April 12, 2006 12:56 PM

I agree with Fran! Can you include this in the forward of your new book? It needs to be officially "out there" as it is simply wonderful!

Posted by Andreia at April 12, 2006 1:31 PM

Joshilyn, honey, don't forget you are first and foremost a Southern woman. Our hissy fits, in part, define us! your just having your hissy fits over every book you write. Kinda like I have a hissy fit every time I tell my 16 yr old to clean her nasty,pig sty, can't have company over, room.
(some of us are more prone to hissy fits.)
Elizabeth put it perfectly!

Posted by desi at April 12, 2006 3:18 PM

Only you can make dead-alive snakes and throwing up both seem like wonderful things that I wouldn't mind seeing/doing myself...

I know. huh?

I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading another book of yours. Thanks for the blog in the meantime.

Posted by Tracy at April 12, 2006 10:41 PM

I have the top seven. I was just making one last decision. I'll email them to you shortly.

Posted by Autumn at April 13, 2006 12:48 PM