Comments: Ready, Set , BOOM!

Great lecture, Joshilyn. Thanks for sharing.

It is a little like sneezing...

Posted by Edgy Mama at April 4, 2006 5:28 PM

Awesome post! VOICE and HOOKS; critical mass components for books. Joss, you are the best! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Posted by David at April 4, 2006 6:53 PM

Joshilyn,
you have such a way with..well, words. perfect compare & constrast between your two books!

Posted by desi at April 4, 2006 7:48 PM

Joss,
That was hands down one of the best guest chats I have attended and I have been to more than I can tolerate sometimes :) It is your vivacious, yes even wacky personality that made it such a success. You made us all feel as if we have been friends for years. Thanks!

Micki Mallie1025@aol.com

Posted by Micki at April 4, 2006 9:30 PM

I'm no author (no, really), but I absolutely agree. If I'm reading an author for the first time, it's more than likely that I will read the first chapter before ever heading to the cash register with it. If I like the voice, I buy it, if I don't, well, I don't.

Posted by Contrary at April 4, 2006 10:31 PM

the W2P group salute you! It was a five star session, and we enjoyed it so much. And thanks to you, I'm killing a few trees to meet my 1000 query quota...never let it be said that a Yankee can't take heart from a Southerner's words of wisdom.
;-)
thanks Joss (not Josh, hehehe)
dee

Posted by dee at April 5, 2006 1:52 AM

I think established authors have more wiggle-room when it comes to things like good titles and cover art too.

If I already know and love someone's writing, they could call a book just about anything and I'd buy it. But if I'm shopping around to try a book by an author whose work I've never read, first the title and cover have to be catchy enough to even make me notice the book in the crowd of other books, THEN it has to pass the "first page read test" (does reading the first page make me want to read more or does it make me yawn or roll my eyes and go "pleeeeease"?), THEN if it passes that test, I'll *start* to consider plunking down some of my $$ to read it. Lotta competition out there for reader bucks!

Posted by DebR at April 5, 2006 9:08 AM

As a reader, I agree with you completely.

However, perhaps I'm the odd reader who flips a book to the middle and reads a couple pages there, rather then the first few. I've read many fabulous books that didn't have the best catch at the beginning. So I just sort of hop into the middle. Of course, I also usually read the second or third book in a trilogy before I read the one before. I'm weird.

Posted by Autumn at April 5, 2006 2:29 PM

As a reader (and only a reader) I agree totally with the idea of a good beginning hook and a clear voice. These things propel you into the book - they make you care, right off the bat. But for me, a good ending is an essential. I always read the last page first (except in Joshilyn's books! She made me pinky swear! And threatened to throw me out of the Beautiful Tulip Society!) because nothing irks me more than to spend time engrossed in a book and have it end badly. It makes me feel ROBBED.

Posted by Amy-GO at April 5, 2006 2:54 PM