Comments: A History of Movie-Watching

Ambiguous Aragorn? I think not! Show me the booty!

Posted by Janet at April 2, 2006 11:33 AM

I didn't think the ending was ambiguous, either. Although I do have to say that if I witnessed my husband causing people's brains to dribble out hotly, it might give me, you know, pause for concern. I think the reason the Academy mostly ignored it is that they like to reward films that are safe. Or if they reward a film that's edgy, it's edgy in a mostly safe way. That is why Crash won best picture, Brokeback Mountain didn't and Violence wasn't even nominated.

Posted by Aimee at April 2, 2006 12:22 PM

I have given up gory, violent movies. I will usually watch if it crucial and pertienent to the story. I now think I will pass on History. And sex scenes - Oh, God, don't laugh at me - I get really uncomfortable. It's like closing my eyes during survivor becaue there are snakes on the screen. Yeah, I miss a lot of the action. So despite missing his Aragornsen (good one Joss) I will have to say, "I will happily forgo History."

Posted by Cele at April 2, 2006 12:50 PM

I'm with you on this. I thought it was great. I was blown away. Hmm. maybe not the best choice of words. I found it very thought-provoking to consider which was the "genuine" life. Ultimately, I believe they both are. Although it seems incongruous to most people, both extremes seem comfortable to him. It's as if he was practicing abstinence with the violence, until it became mandatory. Great review. I enjoyed it.

Posted by NYDeborah at April 2, 2006 1:59 PM

I haven't seen A History of Violence because I'm pretty squeamish about graphic movies ... and also, I don't want to face any kind of challenge to my belief that there IS no such thing as too much of Aragorn's butt.

But I just have to say that your paragraph about redemption gave me the goosebumps, because that's exactly what I believe too, and you said it so well. See, you should get some kind of award, just for writing that.

Posted by Trudy at April 2, 2006 7:51 PM

I can't imagine getting tired of Viggosen's nekkid cheekies.

I've been dying to see this film. I will rent it.

Posted by Edgy Mama at April 2, 2006 8:07 PM

So Joshilyn,
When you become rich & famous, are you going to forget about us and not have time to do your blog? I sure hope not. Because, I'm almost sure your going to be rich & famous.
I just finished the ARC of Between,GA.
I - loved -it!
I had to pace myself, only a chapter a night. I did'nt want it to end.
When's the next 'en? :)

Posted by desi at April 2, 2006 8:17 PM

As I really don't see how you could possibly see enough of Aragorn's butt, I think I will have to rent this to judge for myself. Viggo nekkid? Twist my arm! ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at April 2, 2006 8:56 PM

Okay, I'm with Trudy--thank you so much for writing "But of course, in the deepest corner of my shriveled prune of a heart, there is a hot pink pulsing nodule where lives undying a mighty faith in redemption, a belief that there is no place so far from love that love can't find you and make you whole, that nothing else in this illusion-filled and transient world matters, that E. M. Forster meant so much more than ONE thing when he said, "only connect,""

And, okay, I loved it so much I had to CTRL-C it into here, just so I could read it again and feel like I had something to do with it.

Totally needed to read that today... just on account of mundane annoyances and TOO MUCH RAIN, but you brought a shot of joy to my own tiny black heart with it, dear J...

And I have actually never seen Aragorn's bootay. Perhaps this is my problem?

Posted by Cornelia Read at April 2, 2006 9:43 PM

I loved it... it was like a chick flick with enough violence thrown in so that my husband couldn't say I took him to a chick flick. There's no bleeding brains in a chick flick.

And the sex scene? That one where you see... you know, things happening... yep, I blushed. Totally. It was good.

Posted by Heather Cook at April 2, 2006 10:45 PM

Maria Bello was wonderful in this movie. She didn't get a academy nod, but she did get a golden globe nomination...though she didn't win....and she got several other nominations and awards for her role, though not as prominant (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004742/awards). At least SOMEbody is taking notes on her talent. :)

Posted by Carrie at April 4, 2006 2:26 PM