Comments: Some Random Neurons Firing in New York

First, did you check your wallets after all of your "help" had walked away? That, unfortuneatly is my first thought as a jaded yankee. My second is that, it must have been your accent. Maybe I should only speak for myself but those southern accents just make a person seem sweet as pie and while I enjoy being an obnoxious a-hole to other obnoxious a-holes, I just wouldn't be able to do it to a (young and sexy) Aunt Bea sound-alike.

Last thought, I hate when they close places on random weekdays. Why would a person check to see if a museum is closed on a Tuesday?

I hope you keep having a great time!

Posted by Em at March 15, 2006 9:37 AM

*sigh*
I utterly heart New York with a grand and fiery passion. I, too, found when I was there that it was chock full of helpful, lovely people. Of course, it soon became all too clear that someone must have put a sign on our backs that said "Talk to these white chicks...you will crack up", because it seemed that all we had to do was BREATHE where someone could hear us and folks were saying, "Ohhhhhhh are you from the South? Say "y'all"! How cute!"

Posted by Angela at March 15, 2006 10:32 AM

Oh, I envy you being there, and I envy "there" getting to hang out with you!

I hope you have a wonderful wonderful continuing time in the town-of-my-birth... sigh.................

Posted by Cornelia Read at March 15, 2006 10:58 AM

So. Jealous.

Have a wonderful time, Tulip! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Posted by Mir at March 15, 2006 11:01 AM

Museums always seem to be closed when I go looking for them too. But your trip sounds wonderful - is it tax deductible?

Posted by Cele at March 15, 2006 11:38 AM

This goes down as one of your best blog posts EVER, in my humble yet experienced-reading-your-blog opinion. I want to marry New York, and yet I've never even met him (or her?).

Posted by Cathy at March 15, 2006 12:15 PM

You have why I love Manhattan and Brooklyn down PAT!

Posted by Katie at March 15, 2006 12:50 PM

I think we are soulmates ... at least in the area of public transport. I have the same thing with being clueless above ground but a whiz at finding my way around underground. I genuinely love subways ... and subway maps ...I still have a poster of the Toronto subway system, circa 1990, on my rec room wall because I have such happy memories of it.

And I LOVE Brooklyn! Went there two years ago to do research for a book and totally fell in love. Although, I didn't find people as helpful as you did ... maybe I should have tried a southern accent.

Posted by Trudy at March 15, 2006 2:06 PM

I wish I couldn't find my own butt. Ummmmm, was that one of the "bad" words? Butt?

Posted by Edgy Mama at March 15, 2006 5:24 PM

I miss my days of traveling to NY for business -- enjoying the city on someone else's dime! The one thing I always wanted to do but never had the chance was to buy a cheap, obviously fake (or ill-gotten-booty?) Rolex from a shifty-lookin' street dude. I'm not even sure you can find those opportunities anymore. Have much fun; enjoy the world's best martinis and go spin the theater wheel of fortune at TKTS in Times Square!

Posted by bj at March 15, 2006 7:26 PM

wouah I'm so Jealous, I wish I could go right now to New York! By the way, sitting at my desk in Switzerland, I love to read your blog...It makes me travel all the way to America! I love it!

Posted by Marie at March 16, 2006 4:55 AM

Hi. I found your site through someone else's link on Blogging For Books. I'm not sure if I'm going to enter, but I had to post after reading your blog entry about Brooklyn, my home. Isn't it amazing? It's got a bit of small town feel, right in the big city. Plenty of Access to the mecca that is Manhattan with a charm and suburban unlike any other. Brooklyn is comprised of dozens of neighborhoods, each with its own name and ethnic diversity. Although I've traveled extensively, I've lived here all my life and have found no place to compare with its charm. I met and fell in love with a wonderful man from Salt Lake City, Utah, and he has come to love Brooklyn as I do, so here we are. Almost every nationality in the world is represented here and it makes for a fascinating life. I look forward to reading more of your blog, and your work. Feel free to check me out online at NYDeborah.LiveJournal.com
Feel free to email me if you have any Brooklyn related questions (there's that helpful Brooklynite factor). LOL

Posted by Deb On The Web at March 16, 2006 5:59 PM

You captured just how I feel about New York. And about public transportation. It's a family joke that I have no sense of direction, and yet I can navigate the heck out of public transport systems in NY, London, San Francisco--wherever. Even my very first day there.

Maybe I'm just passive-aggresively protesting the Car Culture; who knows.

Oh, New York, I miss it so. Blow a kiss to it all for me, please.

Posted by elswhere at March 17, 2006 7:57 PM

Vrey nicely done! I'm new to Brooklyn, and you definitely captured the ambience -- especially with your recommendation of the walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Posted by chidder at March 17, 2006 10:06 PM

Yes, I've done the sunset walk over the Brooklyn Bridge! You're right, you must! The history fills you and you do get teary. I think about Walt Whitman crossing on the ferry into New York. I think of George Washington in the fog escaping from the British. I think of Roebling who on the ferry in the thick of East River ice looked up and said...hmmm...I think there should be a bridge here. I think of Sophie and Stingo running across and Kevin Kline looking perfectly perfect. Oh, my, my, my...I'm jealous of you.

Posted by Waylon at March 19, 2006 10:36 AM