Comments: The Quality of Silence

You are just too much! Such a deliciously wicked sense of humor. Reading you first thing in the early, early morning makes coming to work early worthwhile. Oh, to be a fly on the wall wherever you are. I am still rolling -- on the floor, I mean.

Posted by David at February 22, 2006 7:37 AM

Congrats on doing such a good job so far (and for not farting of course). Also, thank you for the morning laugh....the conversation with you and Max? Hillarious.

Posted by Jessie at February 22, 2006 8:40 AM

Why the heck does the microphone need to be so sensitive that it picks up your heartbeat? That sounds, well...inconvenient. There's probably some deep metaphor to be had about the sensitivity of the microphone too, but I've barely started my first cup of coffee this morning, so the "quality of silence as a snowflake" thing is still sounding profound-ish to me, which doesn't make me a bit of help. Sorry.

Do they have audio book outtake reels, like for moives? Because that last conversation with Bob and Max SO totally needs to be on an outtake reel.

Posted by DebR at February 22, 2006 9:29 AM

*ROFLMAO*

Posted by Amy-GO at February 22, 2006 10:02 AM

*giggle* "Bob: Well, we have a ways to go, then, don't we. Try the line again."

Please tell me he wasn't *snort* able to say this with a straight face!

Posted by Mit_Moi at February 22, 2006 10:03 AM

I'm with DebR. I'd love to hear an outtake reel on this one. Thanks for starting my morning off with a laugh!

Posted by dragonfly at February 22, 2006 10:40 AM

Joss, please if you haven't already, go pick up a copy of the kids' book Walter the Farting Dog. I know your son is already reading Tolstoy and whatnot, but he would probably still get a huge kick out of the hapless Walter. (And I know for sure that you would be ROFL'ing.)

Posted by Jenn at February 22, 2006 11:36 AM

I'm with Deb and Dragonfly-- pleaseprettyplease ask the audiobook company to include an outtake reel (as "collectors edition" DVDs do).

Your story of what happened in real life was even funnier than what happened in your dream (and the horrible stuff you feared didn't even happen!)

Posted by Elizabeth at February 22, 2006 11:51 AM

I may actually buy both the audio and hard cover book and then sit in bed and have you read to me. Then I'm going to fart and when my husband says "did you just...?" I'm going to say, "no, I think it was Joshilyn" but I'm going to say it JOSH-I-LIN. Bwah-ha-ha-ha....

Posted by Heather Cook at February 22, 2006 1:18 PM

Joss I love ya. I'm with you, some personal functions should be kept personal. Now could you come teach my DJ's this? PLEASE.I.NEED.THIS.BAD. Plus, I have a DJ's that hacks like a smoker and clears her throat so loud you hear it down the hall - from a sound proof booth - at least 15 times in 10 minutes, and she's only don't a crossword puzzle and rambling on and on about what nobody knows because we tuned her out hours before, broken only by the incessant throat clearing that we can't tune out.

Sorry I got off track. thank you for the vent... me three I want the out takes reel...of course he's recording you in digital...so no reel. soooo CD?

Posted by Cele at February 22, 2006 3:01 PM

Precious. Absolutely. I think this post should be the first chapter of a novel.

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 22, 2006 3:42 PM

Hah! Sign me up for the outtakes too! Maybe it could be one of those hidden tracks, where they don't list it but if you go on listening when the book is over you get to hear Joshilyn and the producer talking about sex with Henry. Though it might make people have accidents if they were listening while driving.

Also--that individual quality of silence is called "room tone." My Partner the Sound Designer can go on and on about it. I can't think of a metaphor either, but I'm no good at that stuff.

Posted by elswhere at February 22, 2006 9:47 PM

But would it really be so bad if you made him sound like Elvis? I love Elvis-sounding persons...

Posted by Cornelia Read at February 22, 2006 10:30 PM

Maybe try reading Henry so he sounds like Bob. He can't argue with that.

Posted by LoryKC at February 23, 2006 11:51 AM

That Roni, and your Henry voice, are SO right.

Posted by Karen Abbott at February 23, 2006 12:48 PM