Comments: In Which Ducks Are Bad

OH MY GOD I love that label... I think you need to print it out and frame it and hang it right next to your flying cat cruise artwork in your office. Purty please? HA!

Posted by Mir at February 16, 2006 11:22 AM

"Watching the Fonz eat Chachi" made me spit water out of my nose. And "Lungus" made me pee my pants...well, ok, not really, but close. I miss you, I miss Julie, I miss that park with the ducks on 'roids...remember the gruesome heron? Ah, good times. Thanks for my morning gigglefest! ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at February 16, 2006 12:09 PM

Way to go Jen.

Y'all got nasty, mean ducks, maybe they need Dr. Phil and some good meds. Poor baby he will need Dr. Ruth one day.

Posted by Cele at February 16, 2006 12:35 PM

O, I miss GetUpGrrl too. One of the best blogs ever.

Who knew that there are so many badass ducks in Atlanta? Remind me not to take my kids to that park next time I'm there.

RE: B4B. If you e-mail me the Live details a day or two ahead of time, I'll post about it with linkage, which should drive some traffic to B4B. I bet others of us who have guest judged and/or won would do the same.

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 16, 2006 2:56 PM

One day I will enter B4B with an entry that I wrote just for the contest, and not cheat with an old one from my archives. I keep meaning to. One day. When the workload goes down. Which should be about in...July. Meanwhile, I'll try & remember to link to it, too, so all twelve of my readers will see it.

*Sigh* Oh man, I miss GetUpGrrl too. I'd love to just once again see the Monty Python one. And the ones where she wrote in the style of different authors. I'd like to see her take on newborn screaming in the voice of, say, Tom Robbins.

Posted by elswhere at February 16, 2006 3:18 PM

About ducks.

You probably don't get this down South (or maybe you do, 'cause I find that my Tennessee relatives think it's a "cold day" when it's 50F and I'm out in my short sleeves, so I guess everyone has their version of winter), but if you go in the deep dark of winter to a pond where there are normally a lot of kids/families feeding ducks in the summer, and you just SHOW UP, not even with a bag of bread or anything? You will be Attacked.

Seriously. Happened to me and my family. We went sliding in the park in December and thought, "Oh, let's just take a walk down to the duck pond." We were met by a welcoming committee of about 5,000 ducks who had not been visited or fed (except for park-duckkeeper-approved seedy stuff, which I guess they hate) since Labour Day. Seeing us arrive with two plump little children they SWARMED us and began pecking at our feet, battering us in the knees with their wings, making doomed attempts to fly into our faces -- it was terrifying, and we got out of there very quickly. We had nothing to feed them anyway, and I was afraid if we did they would have torn each other limb from limb just to get to the food, then turned on us next in the feeding frenzy.

Ducks are Bad. No doubt about it.

Posted by Trudy at February 16, 2006 3:37 PM

Hmm. Perhaps those ducks need to be invited over for dinner. Duck L'orangePOM, anyone?

Glad you're feeling better.

Posted by David at February 16, 2006 8:07 PM

Yeah! I won! See? That judge was SO wrong when he said my forgery would get me nothing but trouble. In your FACE, judicial system!

Ducks, badass for sure but last spring I had to walk my children past a new family of swans on a narrow path. Swans must be like the moose of fowle. They look all nice and majestic and all out there on a lake but up close they are big and.. BIG. Without exaggeration, that swan was as big as my oldest in height and weight but WAY meaner. Having to walk my babies past hers and knowing we were both in the same protective state of mind I wasn't entirely sure who would come out of it the least injured if it came to blows. Luckily, aside from a little squawking and posturing (on both sides) we made it past without incident. No doubt about it though, I was scared!

Posted by Megan at February 16, 2006 9:29 PM

I tried too. I searched every variation of it I could come up with, but all I found was mixed drinks with Amaretto and strawberry syrup.

Posted by Heather at February 17, 2006 9:53 PM

The duck story had me in tears with laughter. I could use a couple of those bad boys at my office. When projects aren't going well, I could just send them into the men's room to provide a little motivational therapy. Maybe put one on duty under the conference room table.

Posted by Bonnie at February 17, 2006 10:13 PM

The ducks at our local park are pretty tame..they'll come up to you and eat out of your hand, but ignore you completely if you have no food.

The GEESE, on the other hand are total predators. They will pick your small child up and carry him away to hold for ransom until you come up with the bread (get it? bread?).

I'm seriously considering entering the nest B4B, if I can just get over this huge inferiority complex (hmm, I don't seem to have an inferiority complex about my inferiority complex. Perhaps that could be the next subject on B4B? I'd totally run away with that contest).

Glad you're feeling better!

Posted by Contrary at February 18, 2006 12:34 AM

Laughing out loud at this post!!! (Esp. Fonzie and Chachi...) And yes, Zithromax is magical in its healing properties.

Posted by Pattie at February 18, 2006 11:39 AM

Considering the nasty nature of ducks, don't you find it ironic that one of the favorite past times of mothers with small children is taking them to the park to feed the ducks! I mean, I did it all the TIME. The kids loved it. And yet, lurking just beyond the fence, waiting to rip off a small arm, or at least peck at it furiously, is a toddler-hating duck.

Boy, we do dumb things....

Posted by Natalie R. Collins at February 19, 2006 2:56 PM

I'm curious how she found out someone had done that. The thought freaks me out. ACK

Posted by Tiff at February 21, 2006 6:53 AM