Comments: The Cocktails of Truth (and a contest!)

I want to go out drinking with you some time. You get MUCH more fun drinks than I ever think to order. I've got to get some bluepomberry & makers mark and honey.

Posted by liz at February 14, 2006 10:38 AM

Well, let's start by spelling it correctly ;) --- try Stramaretto -- while I still can not find photographic evidence of the bottle you describe -- this is an ACTUAL drink - though most barkeeps blend amaretto and strawberries together to make it. Still hunting something that will make your friend believe you.

Posted by Patricia at February 14, 2006 12:52 PM

"Cocktails are society's most enduring invention."

--Elsa Maxwell

And on the subject of sheets, while there are higher thread counts of yumminess, if I ever win the lottery I plan to deck myself in Porthault for the duration (from NY Magazine):

Porthault

18 69th St., New York, NY 10023
near Madison Ave.
212-688-1660

Specialties: Linens

New York ladies live for this French shop’s statusy linens for tables and beds. Floral-print sheet sets (from $600 for a queen set) are good enough for most, but there are hand-scalloped or embroidered custom-made sets (from $3,000) for you robber barons.

***

I especially like that it is pronounced "poorTOE," my toe being the least of it, when it comes to the poverty thing.

I knew I could hammer the first people we bought a house from down on the asking price, when I saw they had Porthault sheets on their DAUGHTER'S bed. I mean, HELLO... no. mercy.

Posted by Cornelia Read at February 14, 2006 1:46 PM

This is the closest I've been able to come, and this most definitely makes it sound like the Stramaretto is a cocktail, not a bottled beverage. Scroll down to the Cedar Lounge restaurant to see what it says. Still looking for an actual bottle.

Posted by Aimee at February 14, 2006 2:41 PM

I couldn't find it either, which does not mean I've given up trying, but I do know that I now want to try a Strawmeretto Colada, I need a vacation with icy umbrella drinks now.

Posted by Cele at February 14, 2006 4:29 PM

There is another possibility: perhaps your *host* made it up. With Photoshop and a printer and everything. Which you could also do, and convince Karen, as long as she doesn't read this.

Your host is a genius. I wish I'd thought of that.

Posted by kate q at February 14, 2006 4:56 PM

Hello, you SO don't know me. I can't recall how in the world I came across your bl0g but I just wanted to state that it is in my bookmarks folder and I check it everyday. I don't drink and I'm not southern. I love fiction, but I doubt I'll ever get around to reading your books.

But you are a wonderful writer and I laugh uncontrollably with every one of your posts.

Thank you for many midday pick-me-ups.

Ray "Raedien" Devine

Posted by Ray Devine at February 14, 2006 5:04 PM

I'm still looking but I'm starting to think you were hallucinating. Makes you wonder what else was in that bottle. Heh. You should have stolen it. [grin] There are plenty of drinks using the two -- namely the above found Stramaretto/Strawmaretto coladas and a Strawberry Shortcake (amaretto, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream - yum!).

This is the first time I've ever been stumped Googling something. Now I have to find it, just to prove Google wrong!

Posted by dragonfly at February 14, 2006 5:12 PM

Can I come with you, Cornelia? Just to run my fingers over the forbidden sheetery?

Luckily, I didn't read this post until 5:00 ish, since it has made me want to drink, though having nothing as fancy as Blue Pomtinis (or whatever), I think I'll quaff a glass of red wine. Here's to you and your quick recovery from lung fungus, Joshilyn.

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 14, 2006 5:18 PM

Oh Edgy M, I would love that... we will have to do quick finger-running before they chase me out of the store, though. I don't even have SHOES fancy enough to pass muster at a place like that!

Posted by Cornelia Read at February 14, 2006 6:33 PM

In other madness.... Happy Valentine's Joshilyn

Posted by tina at February 14, 2006 7:44 PM

Dang. These are the moments that camera-phones were made for. If nothing else, it would prove whether or not someone was RWD (reading while drunk).

Posted by Lulu at February 14, 2006 10:04 PM

Well, I've given up looking, but I SO want to try this drink now.

And as for the sheets - I got zillion-count sheets for Valentines Day! Well, okay, only 480-count, but STILL. I heart high thread-count rich people sheets.

Posted by Shelley at February 15, 2006 12:19 AM

It might be Suntory strawberry. Google it and look or maybe it's just too darn early and I really need to get to work.

Posted by Gabi at February 15, 2006 5:46 AM

Hello, my pretty--

I DO believe you. And a tall frothy vat of stramaretto will be awaiting you tomorrow. So GET BETTER.

And I must say, Cornelia's dream sheets sound divine... I think I'm going back to bed for a bit (though mine, sadly, are from T.J. Maxx and not Porthault).

Posted by Karen Abbott at February 15, 2006 7:40 AM

How about if I just ask Steve (the host) to produce the bottle?

Posted by Joe at February 15, 2006 11:56 AM

Posted by Laume at February 15, 2006 10:49 PM

Sorry, my earlier comment posted to the wrong heading. Here it is again under the right one, I hope.

Thought you all might find this reference to POM amusing:

Maybe we should just go ahead right now and change the name of our institution to Pomegranate State University. Sounds kind of nice -- POM State. Yeah, I like it.

Posted by Joe at February 16, 2006 11:23 AM