Comments: Good Sex (PG 16)

I also liked "In Cold Blood." I read it when I had to teach it (don't know how I missed it before?), and my students also liked it.

I can't think of any books as you describe, with the "good sex" scenes...

Posted by Pattie at February 3, 2006 11:49 AM

Jennifer Crusie: Welcome to Temptation, Faking It (where the first sex scene -for the characters - is NOT good [for the rest of us, it was fantazmic]) and Bet Me (how to combine sex, chicken marsala and Krispy Kremes).

Really truly good.

I'm tried to find out where in her blogs

and

Jenny writes about how the sex scene can't exist in it's own little world but must move the story forward -- couldn't find it. Good blogs, too.

Posted by Holly at February 3, 2006 12:44 PM

OH.GOOD.LORD. *faints dead away by bleeding to death through the skin from excessive blushing*

Posted by David at February 3, 2006 1:21 PM

One I really like is in Mark Helprin's "Winter's Tale", the first sex scene between Peter Lake and Beverly. There's so much emotional development (and plot development) between those two characters...I just love it. My husband and I just wrote a sex scene for our latest screenplay wherein the sex scene is also a huge reveal to the audience about who the bad guys are.

Posted by Aimee at February 3, 2006 1:34 PM

I also don't recall what David's referencing, and I'm sure this is NOT it, but HOOBOY is there sex doing multiple jobs in "The Secret History," which is such a favorite of mine I like to recommend it at every possible opportunity. So.

P.S. David! You naughty man! ;)

Posted by Mir at February 3, 2006 2:36 PM

Do you miss your characters after your done writing a book? I sure miss them after I'm done reading! Do you read Dorothea Benton Frank? She has some good sex scenes too. There is one that is quite hilarious, I can't think of which book of her's it was in, but had a very funny scene with feet,lol.
Did you make it out to see General Lee yesterday? We did. I have twin boys and it's their birthday on groundhogs day, so they had to go spend it with the General,lol. He sure does live high on the "hog"! So it's an early spring for us here, according to Beau!

Posted by Tanya at February 3, 2006 4:31 PM

David, I wrote something on my blog about the incredibly realistic and emotionally moving sex scenes in Ann Packer's Dive from Clausen's Pier. I can't remember if I referenced it here on Joss's blog, or maybe she's channeling me, or maybe this is a random irrelevant aside. Regardless, good sex scenes in the novel.

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 4, 2006 10:43 AM

Another aside: I'm taking an on-line short fiction course, and I just workshopped a rather sexy short story. All the women in the group were like, "Bravo! Perfect!" The male response? "More sex please."

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 4, 2006 10:48 AM

I am just trying to picture sex with Krispy Kremes and chicken marsala. And you people thing *Clamato* is gross?

Yuck!!!!

Posted by Cornelia Read at February 5, 2006 3:25 AM

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE by Audrey Niffenegger had some very, very explicit sex scenes--so much so that I BLUSHED as I read it and I was ALONE in the room! To the best of my recollection they propelled the plot b/c typically *blushing wildly now, having to admit this* I skip over sex scenes. So the fact that I READ them means they must have been crucial to the story.

I know there's been another book recently in which I didn't skip over them, but alas I cannot recall the book now. I think the only reason I recalled TIME TRAVELER'S was b/c they were so explicit.

[I read the sex scenes in gods in Alabama as well and felt they were extraordinarily done AND propelled the plot as well. Thanks, Joshilyn for your great post on writing them!]

HTH,
Alicia

Posted by Alicia at February 5, 2006 8:23 AM

I can recommend the sex scenes in Melanie Rawn DRAGON PRINCE series if you like fantasy...

or the KUSHIEL'S DART series.... The last are intense - BDSM is involved, so if you are light of heart or stomach, I'd recommend being sure you want to read them.

However, Rawn's scenes are meaningful and touching for the most part. Usually pretty mundane and normal, aside from that one scene.

Posted by Autumn at February 6, 2006 3:47 PM

So, um, what did yer mama say?

Posted by Heather at February 6, 2006 6:50 PM