Comments: WEEPITTY WEEP WEEP WEEP

OMG, I need a break after just READING about your Monday, much less living through it. All that and the Augusta thing to worry about too. I think you need some new shoes. At least you'll be stylish as you walk around Augusta mumbling, "Is this where I'm supposed to be?"

Posted by chris at January 24, 2006 9:37 AM

Just so that you aren't alone in the stupidity of saving each chapter as a separate file, I do the same thing. It makes it easier on me to "SEE" it all laid out. I also have overwritten multiple chapters in doing this insane form of file saving. But its how I work, along with taking out a pencil and notebook to write the book, then the semi-edit upon transposing this onto the computer. Really it doesn't matter how inefficient anything is as long as this is how it works for you. It would probably cost you TONS more time and effort to change yourself.

But I'm so thoroughly relieved that you found the overwritten files. That would truly suck. *Mental note to backup more*

Posted by Tina at January 24, 2006 10:06 AM

Oh, goodness, Joss, what would i do without you? I need you to make me giggle.

Posted by Heather at January 24, 2006 10:45 AM

AND you even ate spinach instead of junk food. After a panic session like that, I would've stuck my face in a bag of Reeses.

You are awesome.

Posted by Elizabeth at January 24, 2006 10:51 AM

I am so glad it's not just me who does the wild swings of lascivious to dangling over the abyss by my toenails. I STILL think that word should be "laviscious," though, which is what I thought it actually WAS until about my third year of college when I said it out loud once and everybody stared at me. But, I mean, LAVISCIOUS just sounds so much more... um... onomatopoeic, somehow. Like something you would lick. Which would NOT be spinach for me. Reese's. Definitely.

I do make ginormous word files with all the chapters in one thingie, though. Because then I can word-count myself all day long, before emailing the honking thingie to my yahoo account at the end of the day, with humble prayers that it is not all massive suckiness put into the body of the email.

Posted by Cornelia Read at January 24, 2006 11:04 AM

I still have Christmas butt from 15 Christmasses ago, so I don't think you really need to panic about that just yet :)

Posted by Kitty at January 24, 2006 11:07 AM

I quit smoking on December 1st 1996, by Christmas, the bubble butt my husband adored was required to have its own zip code. Then menopause set in and the city council is now considering a double zip code utility fee to boost the city coffers. Will rubbing your book over my double zip code help reduce its size? It seems to do something for your thighs...so I was hoping.

Mr. Husband might back me up on this thought...Flash drive...say it after me...flash drive...see how easy that was. Saving in a few places...and your yahoo mail would maybe ease your mind a little bit more.

Gosh, now I need to go to work, you've worn me out...I am laughing but exhausted. I hope you have a more balanced, happy Tuesday.

Posted by Cele at January 24, 2006 12:15 PM

*Smacks self on head*
Cele you genius.... I have a flash drive just sitting in its brand new case (over a year old now mind you) that I've just never used. Brillance. Simple, elegant Brillance.

Posted by Tina at January 24, 2006 12:35 PM

Oh my gosh, as soon as you said you were changing numbers around I thought "oh please don't let her overwrite anything!" Very happy you found your lost chapters!

Posted by Heather Cook at January 24, 2006 12:52 PM

I'm a one-chapter-per-file person, too. AND I use a flash drive. Two, in fact. AND I archive at intervals on CD's. AND I keep them in different geographic locations in case of fire, famine, whatever. Nevertheless, just days ago, I had to email friends and family to see if anyone still had a little snippet I'd sent them. It existed ONLY in that email. My dear, sweet, blessed friend and candidate for sainthood, Kathleen, still had it. *kissing her feet* IT IS NOW SAVED AS A FILE, thankyouverymuch. I'm so relieved to hear you recovered yours.

Posted by David at January 24, 2006 1:25 PM

Wow, I SO needed to have read about this last night to jog the memory. I just blogged about serial nightmares and I completely forgot to mention this horrible scenario as my number one worst serial nightmare of all times. Sorry this wasn't a bad dream, Joshilyn, but hooray for your happy ending!

Posted by cathy at January 24, 2006 1:55 PM

OMG, I'm giving you a flash drive for your birthday.

My first novel is divided up into 8 files on my computer, while my second is in one humongo file, and actually, I think I'm going to have to go back and divide it up, because scrolling through 172 pages of text is just a huge pain in my
Christmas butt.

Posted by Edgy Mama at January 24, 2006 3:29 PM

Laugh at me if you must — and, yeah, you must – but I write first drafts in longhand on Steno pads. Have yet to have one of those go corrupt or fail to back up.

Also, after retyping a novel into the computer, I have a revolving system for "go-backs," or corrections. I can only go back a maximum of 20 pages. Any problems further back than that, and I just write a Post-It note that says, "this sucks, will fix later." And my brain percolates on that problem until it works out the kinks without my needling it.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that Joss writes LITERATURE, which probably takes a more creative and clever system than mine. Straight-up mystery genre stuff. Fast food for the rods and cones.

Posted by Dana Conrad Haynes at January 24, 2006 3:38 PM

Whew, thank goodness!

As for the Christmas butt, mine celebrated Hanukkah too. And New Year's, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It also celebrated Valentine's Day, and Casimir Pulaski day, a whole month and a half early. It drowned my sorrows about the flood in triple venti frappucinnos and root beer floats.

A friend of mine said she thought the PT cruiser "fit me" as a car. And I realized it is because the PT cruiser has the same butt that I do.

Posted by Martha O'Connor at January 24, 2006 4:06 PM

Little teensy suggestion: Save each chapter not just with the chapter number, but WITH THE DATE you save it (eg. Chapter 3-01-24-2006.doc). Then you have a new file not overwritten & you can back up to whichever version whenever you need to.

Shutting up & crawling back under my rock now....

Posted by Lulu at January 24, 2006 4:32 PM

I save mine that way too! Only I have two books going at the same time, so I have Chapter 3 and Chapter Three (like it makes a difference, really!)

How do I keep it straight? I don't. I just re-write as Chapter 3a and then I can really have a mess on my hands. But it's all there ... every stinkin word, and boy do they stink!

Thanks for the laugh, and sometimes I even think I'm normal!

Posted by Patti at January 24, 2006 7:51 PM

Oh Tulip, I was distraught for you until I read the last part. I would have ripped the computer from the wall and thrown it through the gorgeous new paint job in a fit of rage. And you ate spinach! Sometimes I think you are FAR more mentally healthy than you give yourself credit for. Thank Goodness for Gmail!!

Oh, P.S....My Christmas butt is FIFTEEN POUNDS lighter now, thankyouverymuch!!! Sorry for gloating all over your blog, but I know you'll understand. *PREEN* ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at January 24, 2006 10:10 PM

Speaking of an over-abundance of smug....

Posted by Amy-GO at January 24, 2006 10:12 PM

Well, you're on theologically sound grounds. See Revelation 3:16.

(Oh, don't look at me like that. I had to google it.)

Posted by rams at January 25, 2006 9:21 AM