Comments: Trading Space

Good luck with the renovations. I had a teacher use the expression "Slough of Despond" to describe the revision process in personal essays -- It's the time when you're hopelessly trapped between a million brilliant ideass and you can no longer determine what exactly it is that you want to write about. Great expression. Where is it from?

Posted by Michele at January 9, 2006 7:23 AM

There is a scary sharp implement of destruction on your desk, you see. Right near a child's cutesy pink cup and what appears to be teeny mini-versions of your oh-so-awesome book. Hmmm.

Posted by Janet Mc at January 9, 2006 8:39 AM

I had to read this aloud to my Intrepid Spouse, who nodded sadly and familiarly and then *sighed* and said "I hope to buy that woman's husband a drink some day, if I ever manage to spelunk my way to the front door of our house again. But I am heartened to know, Bunny, that you are not the sole Lightning Rod For Entropy in the Universe. Alas, poor Scott..."

Posted by Cornelia Read at January 9, 2006 8:56 AM

My entire house bears an startling and unfortunate resemblence to your desk photo, only without the plastic sword and roll of smarties. Sigh.

Posted by DebR at January 9, 2006 9:35 AM

Oh, Tulip, that's not so bad! My whole house looks like that. Want to bring your shovel and hazmat suit out here and help me find my carpet? No? Hmmm. Can't imagine why. :)

Happy new beautiful office! Can't wait for the pics!

Posted by Amy-GO at January 9, 2006 9:36 AM

Alas, I can truly sympathize, dear Joss (or Scott, as the case may be). I, too, am accumulatively inclined, though sadly there is no co-habitor to point out the error of my slovenly, would-be-starving-artistly ways. And so, here I sit, waiting for the day when mankind achieves practical space flight, at which point my entire place will likely be beamed up and launched into the sun. All those dust bunnies will make quite the solar flare, I should think. ;-)

Posted by David at January 9, 2006 10:19 AM

Because I wasn't brought up well, I have to say, while I think you are wonderful, your daughter is pretty as a picture and your writing is fabulous, I do not like that picture you bought. I wouldn't hang it in my office. Luckily for you, my office is not in your house and you are free to do whatever you want.

However, if you are looking for an alternative to scary dragon/pirate ship/cat pictures, I would like to suggest framing an enlarged picture of your newly carpeted, newly painted and organized office to preserve it forever. If things get very very bad, you could even enlarge it to door size, fit it strategically into those lovely french doors and viola! Guests will never know! And you will never have to clean or organize again. I think I'm onto something. I'm going to clean all of my rooms for the last time! Never mind, I'll clip pictures out of decorator magazines. So much better! I think your scary dragon/pirate ship/cat picture has sparked an idea that will make me rich! I love that picture now!

Posted by Em at January 9, 2006 10:22 AM

It must be the New Year Writer's Clean Desk Week. Over on Jenny Crusie's Argh Ink, she came to a crisis also:

then Susan Elizabeth Phillips accepted a double-dog-dare and posted her photo:

Y'all are going to be so productive there won't be any room for mental illness anywhere...hahahahahaha!

Posted by Holly at January 9, 2006 10:51 AM

You know you're going to spawn a whole new epoch of office renovations. This will in turn around regional economic down swings. Spur new businesses to spring up overnight. The balance of the nation's economy is now about to turn around because of you. Because after the office...well folks there are entire houses to redo.

What's a matter with white and mini blinds?

Love the french doors.

Posted by Cele at January 9, 2006 11:27 AM

In my vow to De-lurk this week I shall say hello. I love your blog and I read everyday.

I would say your office looks familiar but alas mine is worse than plain white - it is *gasp* panelled. Ick! I cleaned it a few weeks ago and already I can't find the desk top. *sigh*

Posted by MoMMY at January 9, 2006 1:53 PM

I find it very impressive that you are able to take something like a messy office and make it interesting to read about.

Posted by blueprincesa at January 9, 2006 3:33 PM

And that is why I am not even "allowed" to have a sewing room ... just a corner that can easily be covered by a Beautiful Throw (which is exactly what I do with it).

Good Luck living in your new surroundings, until the squalor creeps back in, that is!

Posted by Patti at January 9, 2006 4:27 PM

It could be worse..... my hubby vows that if/when we have our kids my office will indeed become one of their bedrooms. I'm flabbergasted enough to ask why they can't all pile up in the other bedroom via a flashback to Little House on the Prairie. This, he believes, will not do at all and thus the "office" room and the guest room will become "kids bedrooms". Gargh.

Posted by Tina at January 10, 2006 3:24 PM

You need a bookshelf, dude...

Posted by Bookseller to the Stars at January 16, 2006 5:13 PM