Comments: 3 Things I Want to Tell You (unrelated)

I love you Smoshilyn-except-with-a-J-in-front-and-the-H-is-silent. Please, oh please, would you be my secret friend next year? And if not, would you be my not-so-secret-friend? Either will do really....

Thanks ever so. I'll be looking for my card in the mail in about 11 months.

Happy Christmas to all y'all yummy Jacksons!

Posted by Angela at December 22, 2005 9:19 AM

My god, you did win shopping! You are so very, very, VERY brave for tackling Target so close to the day. Mattel should make a Smoshilyn action figure for adults. She'd have credit cards and a stocking stuffer list and a sleeping toddler. I would totally buy one.

Posted by Aimee at December 22, 2005 10:11 AM

Aimee wrote:

"Mattel should make a Smoshilyn action figure for adults. She'd have credit cards and a stocking stuffer list and a sleeping toddler."

And the tiny handcuffs with the tinier keys.

Posted by Holly at December 22, 2005 10:25 AM

I saw P&P and did enjoy it, I thought the scenery was fabulous, but then I'm kind of biased as I live in it, I'm only 10 miles away from Chatsworth House *hee*

But, have you seen the BBC mini series version of P&P with the delightfully delectable Colin Firth as Darcy, becuase if you haven't, I am telling you know, YOU MUST!

Merry Christmas

Posted by Kitty at December 22, 2005 10:45 AM

OH I forgot to tell you that I told Kira about the handcuff keychain and she said "You know that's, like, a secret sign to other bondage fetishists, right?" And first I said NO, that I most emphatically did NOT know that, and SECOND I said HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT WAIT NO PLEASE DON'T TELL ME.

So, really, they're sort of the gift that just keeps on giving, disturbingly.

Love,
Your Secret Space Station

Posted by Mir at December 22, 2005 10:53 AM

Holly wrote:

Aimee wrote:

And the tiny handcuffs with the tinier keys.

I'm writing :

And pretty, pretty, pointy shoes

Posted by Em at December 22, 2005 11:30 AM

Oh Mir way to funny on more that one level, and far too too appropriate a gift for Smoshelyn.

I loved the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice, delicious. I've been an Austin fan forever. I devour her books in large helpings and go back, the years I'm not rereading LOTR, and read them all over again and dream. Yeah I know middle age and I still dream. Middle age, when did that happen? I look forward to the new production of P&P and look forward to adding the video er cuse me DVD to my collection. I would love for them (any them) to shoot Persuassion. I thought Mansfield Park not as good as the book, but it was an interesting twist on the view point and characters.

Handcuffs...too funny. I can see Joss getting two fingers cuffed together and having to be rescued by hubby after losing her keys. :)

Posted by Cele at December 22, 2005 12:21 PM

Far be it from to go off on something that was just a small tangent, and I promise not to get all soapbox-y and long winded, but . . .

I just felt the need to point out that Restless Leg Syndrome is a real thing, and it is pure hell for those of us that have it, and the dumb Requip commercial doesn't even come close to describing what it's really like, and Requip sucks anyway.

Okay, there, I'm done.

Posted by Sarah at December 22, 2005 12:43 PM

my friend the perfumer says that smell is the sense most closely linked to memory. i believe him. i was at a friend's childhood home and the smell of the upstairs took me right back to my grandparents' farmhouse.

Posted by sue at December 22, 2005 12:44 PM

I too braved Target yesterday...but alas! I did not fare so well! AND I nearly strangled a clerk, as well. I'm not sure I agree with BJ about that not being Christmassy...it would have done LOADS for MY Christmas spirit...

Keycuffs! Excellent!

Posted by Amy-GO at December 22, 2005 12:55 PM

I haven't seen this newest version of P&P yet and it's a must-see for me, but I'm glad I read the review you linked to before I do so I have an idea what to expect.

Smell and memory - I had a lot of respiratory problems as a child and spent a lot of time with Vick's rub and inhalers and steamers and STUFF, and to this day the scent of eucalyptus gags me because to me it will always be the smell of illness. OTOH, the smell of wild honeysuckle will always mean hot, lazy summer days at my grandma's house to me. That one makes me breathe deep and smile.

Posted by DebR at December 22, 2005 1:07 PM

Actually -- I do not want to be misread on this. My problem is with drug companies advertising. NOT with any illness--- I was not tryign to say RESTLESS LEG SUYNDROME does not exist, rather I was trying to say IF YOU ARE SEEIING THIS COMMERCIAL, THE CHANCES ARE, YOU DO NOT HAVE IT. 99% OF YOU DO NOT NEED THIS DRUG. I do not think drug companies should run commercials trying to get people to ask their doctors for drugs and self diagnosing based on flashy graphics and concerned-sounding voice overs. If you have terrible symptoms, you go to a doctor, and he says RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME and gives you drugs. Nothign wrong with that. But There IS soemthing wrong with prescription meds with serious side effects being peddled like floor cleaner.

Posted by Joshilyn at December 22, 2005 1:33 PM

I, not so long ago, asked my doctor about a medication (because someone was taking something I was concerned about) he told me, if they have to advertise, you don't want to take it. I trust his opinion.

Posted by Cele at December 22, 2005 6:04 PM

Could you please elaborate on the "abasement" of Patricia Rozema's Mansfield Park? I didn't remember their being anything particularly wrong with it, but it's been a while. I also don't know if I would enjoy a supermodel-thin Lizzy even in channeled from Knight, it's so not Austen.

Posted by Sabra at December 23, 2005 9:10 AM

OH she did this thing where she made gentle, terrified, and-yet-I-yearn-for-goodness FANNY be NOT Fanny, but rather had Fanny be the way she thought Jane Austen herself would be or was, which is to say lively and sassy and teetering on passionate and whatnot, and it made me clinically INSANE because if Fanny is fiesty and lively the entire book makes no sense, thematically AND hit on a pet peeve of mine as a writer...

Perhaps I am alone in this but it seemed PERSONAL and INTRUSIVE, too, to make a character INTO the author. This movie came out long before my first novel, but I was already seeing this tendency with shorts I had published...I hate it when people insist, to my face, that I simply must be Arlene, that gods, because it is first person must be true, and that I am CLEARLY not a a good enough writer to MAKE STUFF UP (which is pretty much what fiction writers do, you know. I think you can generally always trust me to write a main character who is not, Thank God, me...just mine. There's a big difference. Jane was NOT Fanny. NOT. She was Jane. Fanny was HERS, but not and never her. So.

Posted by Joshilyn at December 23, 2005 10:15 AM

And totally unrelated to your post: HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! :)

Posted by AGK at December 23, 2005 12:25 PM

Interesting. I didn't see Fanny as lively and sassy, but more of a bit miffed about being an accessory of sorts and struggling with that frustration within the context of her rather insecure and demure personality. Was there any scene in particular you remember which pissed you off with its misinterpretation of the text?

I think Mansfield Park is my favorite book by Austen, and like you, I've read it all.

Posted by Sabra at December 23, 2005 12:30 PM

Joss, I loved the new P&P. Not as much as the A&E version (mini-series), but I did love this one. I have a teensy girl crush on Kiera Knightly. I don't want to be with her. I want to BE her.

I don't think I have seen Mansfield Park. Or read that one. I got burned out and took a break. I need to read the rest of her novels.

Aww... Mir is awesome! My secret friend emailed me three times. I just heard from her saying my giftie is on the way. :)

Posted by Heather at December 25, 2005 5:17 PM