Comments: In Which I Successfully Become Stephen Hawking

There are days, Joss, when I read your blog and I laugh and laugh and laugh until my sides hurt. And then there are days when I do that, but also, I find myself poking myself in the eye with a REALLY sharp stick trying to deal with the fact that ANYONE would willingly subject themselves to DOCUMENTARIES regarding Chaos Theory.

Okay, actually that last only just now happened, but still...

Excuse me while I take some Tylenol.
Good luck kids. Have fun stormin' the castle.

Posted by Angela at December 8, 2005 1:51 PM

This is weird. I was not good at math - okay that isn't the weird part. The weird part is that (being a Streisand fan) I actually learned prime numbers from watching the Mirror Has Two Faces.

Now that being said, I have not even begun to edge one single brain cell around chaos theory, well the chaos part is a close friend of mine, I have no understanding of why it needs its own theory, it works soooo well without one. But because your are involved (hmmm Joss / chaos - imagine that)I look forward to bending three braincells around this theory when this book hits the market.

oh and please, please, please include the whole math geek segue theory introduction in your book, because it's a hoot.

Posted by Cele at December 8, 2005 2:48 PM

I'm sorry, you lost me at "I want to learn about physics." A sentence I will never say.

Pet names, though, all right! I especially like the "Go-Go" part of the puppy name. ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at December 8, 2005 4:21 PM

SKIP MIT's a pretty good pet name, too.

Okay. A CARTOON GUIDE TO PHYSICS by Matt Gonick. He taught at Harvard, but quit -- presumably because he's funny. Trust me.

Posted by rams at December 8, 2005 4:49 PM

Since I took debr's nerd/geek/dork test and scored 87% on the geek part, it probably isn't a surprise that I LOVE to learn about Chaos theory.... and quantum mechanics and string theory and fractals (which are math, not physics, I think, but they're so cool you have to include something about them in your book) and Shrodinger's cat and all that. In fact the character in my nano book has a strange intellectual grandmother who has an evil black cat named Shrodinger (who bizarrely enough, has the exact same personality as our black cat Fred). And even though I've read books about all this physics stuff once or twice a year for about five years now, I still feel like I know only thiiiiiiisssss much (see me holding my thumb and forefinger up with almost no light between them) about any of it. But gosh, it makes my heart go pitter pat. So now I'm even more excited to read this new story of yours. Too bad I can't research quantum mechanics for you and you can research old growth redwood forest and the lumber industry for me.

As for pet names, I'm very disappointed that my darling Rosita La Changa que Vuela did NOT make your top spot. (non spanish speakers - Little Rosie the Flying Monkey) Or how about my cat named Cow? Short, but strange.

Posted by Laume at December 8, 2005 4:52 PM

Yep, I actually have a NOVA program on Chaos theory on tape in the basement. I'm prepped and ready to go.

Now to understand how chaos theory works you need to have a basic understanding of Quantum Physics. Of course, the principles of Quantum Physics are explained by Super String Theory, or if you are a particularly progressive physics student, M Theory. I wonder where I put my copy of Brian Green's "Elegant Universe"?

Now how can I hold her attention long enough to explain the 10 spacial dimensions that M Theory requires? Mustn't go too fast. Perhaps Abbott's "Flatland" is a good place to start.

I must start building a reading list for this project. I can't afford to waste this opportunity as I can assure you it will never present itself again.

Posted by Mr. Husband at December 8, 2005 5:16 PM

I got lost at the term Chaos Theory, but then my wee little brain perked up at the wonderful puppy name. No wonder my poor little munchkin has a hard time at school, her mommie's mind wanders and then selectively picks the most fun too.....

Posted by Robbie at December 8, 2005 5:48 PM

I think Quantum Physics and Chaos Theory and all that stuff is way cool. Like Laume, I barely understand the teeensiest smidgen of it, but what I get fascinates me. I'm someone who would watch a documentary on Quantum Physics on purpose. For fun. Scary, yes?

Just sign me GeekWannabe.

Posted by DebR at December 8, 2005 5:56 PM

PS...I figure according to Quantum Physics there are Universes in which my checkbook balances every month so it doesn't really matter so much that it never ever EVER happens here.

Also sign me DitzR

Posted by DebR at December 8, 2005 5:58 PM

Oh no. Enviro-spouse got his Master's at MIT and understands all this stuff. I still don't know what he really does for a living, except that it involves computers, lots of complex Math, and saving the world.

O Maripan, O Mazipan, how do you go-go, puppy?

Posted by Edgy Mama at December 9, 2005 7:50 AM

I only understand human created chaos, and it doesn't seem to have any 'rules' to it ... only something suspiciously like "Murphy's Law". Anyway, I'm just chiming in to recommend Bill Bryson's, “A Short History of Nearly Everything”. He explains these geek things in non-geek language. Even better would be if you could TALK **swoon** to the esteemed Mr. Bryson. You’d have sooo much fun.

Posted by Mit_Moi at December 9, 2005 12:11 PM

I absolutely cannot wait for this book to come out! My hubby has a phd in economics (he works for a bank in risk management crunching numbers that i can't even start to comprehend.) He's a bigtime geek... when we saw A Beautiful Mind, he was all "Yep, look at that... Nash Equilibrium. Interesting." I wanted to smack him.

Posted by CMJennKirby at December 9, 2005 10:31 PM