Comments: 100 Thing About Sam

He is a fine, fine small accountant, your Sam. There is nothing that warms the cockles of one's heart quite like a child with a kick-ass parenthetical YOU MORON trailing a sentence full of excellent thesaurus words who then thinks it is hilarious to put his stinky boy feet on your bare leg. I was utterly powerless.

Posted by Mir at December 1, 2005 7:58 AM

Well done. As the mom of a boy, I was giving you an "Amen" all the way through the list.
These little fellows are a treasure, aren'they?

Posted by Denise at December 1, 2005 8:05 AM

You made me cry. You made Bane cry. We love you. Thanks. I'm gonna go hug my boo.

Posted by Gabi at December 1, 2005 9:15 AM

That was an amazing and wonderful list and Sam sounds like an amazing and wonderful boy-child. I'm now weepy.

Posted by DebR at December 1, 2005 9:17 AM

Someday, though, when he's older, you'll be able to show him this blog entry, and he'll love it. He sounds like a terrific kid -- in ways what you've written here reminds me of my nephew Sam. He doesn't talk like an accountant, though. More like an aspiring Dark Overlord. A few weeks ago he asked me to translate the word 'immolate' into Latin for him for a vampire story he's writing.

Posted by Aimee at December 1, 2005 10:31 AM

Made me cry, too. I love all your sublime 100 things, but "liquor store" in the pirate boat most of all...

Posted by Cornelia Read at December 1, 2005 11:19 AM

Ah, even kid-less me is touched! This list is wonderful and sweet and the sort of thing he is going to print out and tuck away in a box and carry with him when he goes to college. You are a DAMN good Mommy, Joshilyn Jackson.

Posted by Karen Abbott at December 1, 2005 11:30 AM

Weeping and laughing and missing him and you...

Posted by Amy-GO at December 1, 2005 12:00 PM

If every mom, and every dad cherished their sons - and daughters - like you (Scott) cherish Sam (and Maisy) the world would a very good to place to raise a child. Sheesh to raise an adult.

I recently started letters to my family. My parents were easy, my husband (number three was very easy - I just had to compare him to one and two.) The letter to my daughter is not complete (and therefore the one to my grandson is not even started) I couldn't quit crying because I love her so much, I am in awe of her, and she is such an integral part of why and who I am. Maybe I should try it as a 100 point list.

Kudos to you and family. Your love and joy is inspirational. "To the liquor store"...just too much.

Jane Austin (like you) never grows stale, but I enviably fall up the stairs.

Posted by Cele at December 1, 2005 12:34 PM

Joshilyn, you made me bawl because I swear on a stack of bibles that my kid is your kid. Only mine is four. He does so many of the same things and it's like I'm glimpsing my son's life in four years and it looks wonderful.

Except 72 and 74 really made me cry because they made me scared. But I'm pregnant so I'm doubly.. or triply more likely to cry.

Posted by Heather Cook at December 1, 2005 12:41 PM

sigh....I, 37 year old mother of a "Sam-ish" toddler, am totally in love with your child...and your husband...and you....Would the Jackson family collectively like to make out? Also, you are pretty. And If I were moderately wealthy, or at least able to fill up my car with gas, I would send you cute chocolates. Or at least yummy chocolates. Because you made me laugh...and cry...and remember how fun it is to live in a house with a "Sam" on today when I am very blue and bah humbug feeling.
Thanks Joss.

Posted by Angela at December 1, 2005 12:52 PM

Okay, I must unlurk here with a big stinkin' AWWWW! I too own an 8 year old, female version, and your Sam sounds very like her. There must have been something in the water back in '97.

Posted by Badger at December 1, 2005 2:31 PM

One more mom chiming in to say, what a great list! He does sound a lot like my 7 y.o. too (who desperately wants me to understand Pokemon, which I desperately don't want to understand). Yeah, this list will embarrass him when he's 14, but by the time he's 21 he'll cherish it, so don't delete it. (Actually, even when he's 14, he'll be secretly cherishing it, but he won't tell you).

Posted by Trudy at December 1, 2005 3:22 PM

Delurking to say I laughed and cried. Sam sounds lovely.

I'm hoping mine outgrow the unorganized losing of things. The gloves! My God, the gloves that are lost in this house.

Sounds like Sam will treasure this list - even if it isn't until he realizes your not a 'moron'.

Posted by MoMMY at December 1, 2005 3:29 PM

Ugh! you're not your

Just like me to delurk and then commit one of my biggest pet peeves.

Posted by MoMMY at December 1, 2005 3:30 PM

I love it! I love that there is a child in the world that is Sam! I love the fact that his eyes turned green, mine did at that age!

I found out today that my step-daughter (child of my heart, just not of my loins) is having another boy. They were upset, they so wanted a girl. I am just glad I get another boy to love and cherish until he is too old to be smothered by his "mawmaw" with hugs and kisses, that is in public!

Maisy is awesome! Ya'll are just too pretty for words!

Posted by Robbie at December 1, 2005 6:26 PM

Sam is adorable...and everything else wonderful you wrote about him.

Aren't kids "da bomb"?

Posted by Edgy Mama at December 1, 2005 8:56 PM

I am madly in love with Sam. Why? Because Sam is just so much like my own son that whilst reading your post, I was giggling with delight. I can't even begin to tell you how much they are alike. My son is now 13 and I still blog about him all the time, and he reads my blog daily. Sometimes he corrects me in the comments section, which drives me bonkers. But then I read HIS blog too, and comment as well. Heh! Mostly, though, he loves that I write about him and sometimes reads old Usenet posts from when he was a baby that really entertain him.

So I say, keep on blogging about Sam, because we all enjoy him.

Posted by margalit at December 3, 2005 2:04 AM

i love it. I love you for writing it and I love sam.

Posted by kath at December 3, 2005 4:30 AM

Wow. Just wow. Lucky boy. Lucky mama, too.

Posted by Dyanna at December 4, 2005 5:03 AM