Comments: As God is my Witness...

A radish? I thought it was a turnip for some reason... Oh, well. What do you want from a Yank?

Signing off on proofs??? That means we have more booky goodness coming our way in a handful of months! I can't wait ;-)

Posted by Beth at November 15, 2005 10:50 AM

That was one GINORMOUS radish. But I'm a yank, so what the hell do I know? I would totally have said turnip. Or beet.

Posted by Cornelia Read at November 15, 2005 11:05 AM

IN THE BOOK. No idea about what it is in the movie. In the BOOK it IS a GINORMOUS mutant radish all bitter and spicey and pungent from being underground too long.

Posted by joshilyn at November 15, 2005 11:07 AM

I couldn't get past Chapter 1 of Making Waves. Maybe I just tried at the wrong time. Do you ever do that? Start a book and can't enjoy it but pick it up later and love it?

My 5 Southern Authors to Meet in heaven Would Be:

Pat Conroy
Fannie Flagg
Michael Lee West
Joshilyn Jackson (*wink* Does the fact that I already met you count)
I guess Barbara Kingsolver is not southern, huh?

Who would be #5? Rebecca Wells maybe? I'm just not sure.

Posted by Heather at November 15, 2005 11:12 AM

Radish is right. Twelve Oaks is NOT. That scene happens at TARA, after she gets home and realizes nothing will ever get all fixed the way she was hoping.
Sorry, but Margaret Mitchell is tops on my Southern Author list. Along with Pat Conroy, Harper Lee, Fannie Flagg, and YOU, Tulip. I thought gods in Alabama was WAY better than Haven Kimmel's book, and I'm not just saying that 'cause I love you. Although I do. Go ahead, get all spluttery and tell me why I'm wrong, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one. So there.
P.S. It's snowing here. SNOWING. On Nov. 15. Do NOT be surprised if you find me on you doorstep later today....*whimper*

Posted by Amy-GO at November 15, 2005 11:32 AM

Dear Joss, if you can't pick yourself as one of the Heavenly Five, I vote for Sharyn McCrumb.

WHY do you have to keep posting links for fantastic chocolate sites?! I managed to resist the handbags but now I might splurge on half-priced ghosts. (but that was a wonderful way for an editor to thank you for a blurb)

Posted by Elizabeth at November 15, 2005 11:51 AM

I don't get out much I guess. I would have to put Joss as authors one through five, because Fred Willard and Mindy Friddel are the only two I've heard of, and I've not found Friddel's book yet. I didn't look for Willard's book. I am probably one in a small handful of American women who've not seen Gone nor read the book. I've just never been enticed. Hmmm is Grisham southern?

Elizabeth is right those little ghost were sooooo scrumptious looking and a half price it was really hard to resist.

Posted by Cele at November 15, 2005 12:11 PM

Hmmmm. Yes, Flannery. Gotta go with William F. Harper Lee. Pat Conroy, and Margaret Mitchell. Wow, only one on my list is alive.

Okay, the meet on the street list: you, Joshilyn and Mindy. Kaye Gibbons. Ron Rash. and, damn, I don't have a fifth. Can I go with Wild Turkey?

Posted by Edgy Mama at November 15, 2005 2:13 PM

I am an idiot. Jos is right, it was Twelve Oaks. I can't believe I didn't know that - I've only read the book about fifty times. Must go punish myself by standing in the cold. Mea Culpa!

Posted by Amy-GO at November 15, 2005 2:20 PM

Pat Conroy, Fannie Flagg, and Harper Lee, are my other recommendations (unfortunately echoing everyone else, making me look like Miss Copy Cat, here in the center of the USA!).

Posted by Pattie at November 15, 2005 2:26 PM

I would have to add Eudora Welty to the list as. I enjoyed reading her lectures as much as her stories. I second Flannery, always a favorite. I like Janisse Ray, although I've only read the one novel by her (doesn't she have a new one out? or am I crazy? could go either way...). Olive Ann Burns and Celest Sibley.
Whew, a lot of great writers and hard choices. Couldn't we have a party and each person bring their guests of honor?

Posted by Chris at November 15, 2005 3:52 PM

Top five? No problems...

C.S. Lewis, Stephen Jay Gould, Sir Issac Newton, Saint Paul, and Haven Kimmel.

I pick Haven Kimmel because I expect there will be billiard tables in heaven and I'd like to play a few games of nine ball with her.

Posted by Mr. Husband at November 15, 2005 9:52 PM

Hey Joshilyn,
Thanks so much for the plug...wow. That's a nice thing to read after a long day.
I'm looking forward to Between Georgia...give me a shout when you head up here to the Palmetto state.
Best,
Mindy

Posted by Mindy at November 15, 2005 9:55 PM

I just started Tony Parsons new book, "Stories We Could Tell" and despite the book being set in 1977 at an NME type music paper, being the ardent music fan and the music of that time being amongst my favourite, I just couldnt get into the book. Maybe its the way it was written, I dunno. I read his music writing from years ago but this was the first of his novels I read, and about 2 chapters in I just began to hate it....

Posted by Bookseller to the Stars at November 16, 2005 2:12 PM

Lee Smith?
Kaye Gibbons?
Allen Gurganus?
Bobbie Ann Mason?

Joshilyn Jackson?

Posted by ellen de Graffenreid at November 17, 2005 5:48 AM

There are not enough authors called Bobbie Ann in my opinion....

Posted by Bookseller to the Stars at November 17, 2005 10:10 AM