Comments: An Open Letter to Joss Whedon

Every now and then, you know, I start thinking that you are just so far beyond the rest of us that I can hardly hope to keep up with you.... And then, you show that your inner dork will forever keep your feet firmly rooted in the firmament.

You had me at discount uterus. You two are the perfect geek couple.

Posted by Mir at October 24, 2005 8:25 AM

Ah, yes, Serenity. I've seen it four times already, and love it more each time.

And have I mentioned that I got to go to the premiere in LA, and I was *this close* to actually touching Joss Whedon? I'm sure all of his genius would have instantly rubbed off onto me. I was still trying to think of something suitably witty and brilliant to say before he changed directions and walked away. Alas. I guess I'll have to make do without borrowing his genius.

Plus, all those actors are really pretty on the screen, but they're even better looking in real life. It's astonishing (and somewhat annoying).

Posted by Shanna Swendson at October 24, 2005 11:24 AM

I spent a week emailing anyone who would listen when the Sci-fi channel canceled Farscape. I saw the writing on the wall and gave up. Then Fox canceled (about a week later) Firefly. Crushed. A plot was formed but Sci-Fi still didn't listen to me. Had they we'd have Firefly weekly. I loved Mal and his quirky crew. Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin = ahemmm = smile.

Oh, Delight, Delight, Delight Serenity the flick. Don't shake your head - I've still not seen this wonderful piece of celluliod. I so am looking forward to the DVD with all its little treasures hidden in a director's cut edition. I just refuse to pay $16 for tickets, $20 for popcorn and pop. Cheap witch that I am. But I'll dole out $16 for the DVD and live in glorious Sci-fi happiness with it and my Firefly and Farscape disc.

Posted by Cele at October 24, 2005 11:44 AM

I came to check on the B4B contest - fingers crossed for my sister the finalist - and instead found your letter to Joss. I read. I cheered silently at my desk because I am not the only adult who knows that Hush was amazing and the musical was genius and that the scenes of Buffy and Spike just ripped your heart out. (Although, in a teenage love sort of way, so did "I Will Remember You.")
Anyway - just wanted to say hello and ditto and thanks for the post.

Posted by Kathy at October 24, 2005 11:54 AM

"Once More With Feeling" (aka Buffy, the Musical) was the best hour of television ever. EVER!!

I would give "Serenity" an 8 out of 10 on the Joss Whedon Scale of Perfection. But the JWSoP is to mere mortals like the human/dog years thing. So an 8 out of 10 on the JWSoP is like a 56 out of 10 for other people. I liked it. A lot.

You are soSO right about Buffy and Spike. Angel is only interesting when he's Angelus. Or a muppet.

I'll be in my bunk.

Posted by DebR at October 24, 2005 12:33 PM

No! Don't wait for the DVD! See it in the theater!!! Skip the popcorn and coke if you have to (I couldn't eat while watching it, it was so intense). For one thing, you must see it on the big screen. For another, it seems too many people are waiting for the DVD and not seeing it at theaters, which is translating to box office failure in the eyes of the people who are making the decision about whether or not there will be more movies. If you want more Firefly, see it now, in a theater, right away. And then buy the DVD. Otherwise, you're actually sabotaging Joss! Really!

Posted by Shanna Swendson at October 24, 2005 3:33 PM

I get to go on a date this week! An actual date! With no children! And my husband will be there! And now I know what we're going to do. At least for the first part of the evening. *SMIRK* ;)

Posted by Amy-GO at October 24, 2005 6:28 PM

The husband has promised to take me on a date Saturday. The teen came home last weekend raving about Serenity, so, with all the loving vibes here, I am more than ever determined that we will see that movie this weekend!

Posted by Jensgalore at October 24, 2005 11:11 PM

I'm a fan of Riley, personally, though I'm glad he married a nice girl who is so much more with it and loves him more than self-absorbed Buffy ever could.

And, not to be contrary, but I think Serenity would be better on the small screen. There were way too many ultra close ups -- I could practically count River's pores half the time, and I don't think we needed quite so many close crops. I think it would look better not so big. I hat to say it, but It hink there was still abit of small screen mentality going on with whoever was framing those shots.

Still loved the movie, though.

Posted by Diana at October 25, 2005 9:52 AM

Bought the DVD. Watched it. (Never saw it on TV. Incredible, I know.) NOW, by golly, I'm off to see the MOVIE. Just try and stop me. Go ahead, just try. Joss, you ROCK! Um, both Josses, actually. Heh.

Posted by David at October 25, 2005 10:10 AM