Comments: gods in Vases with Frosting

You forever and always crack me up, and I only know you in cyber abstentia.

I agree back story is absolutely everything. It is the unseen backbone of the literary world. Unfortunately, not all authors are as adept at creating a character, nor do they develope the backstory that is so vital to a believable character and therefore storyline. We are the beneficiaries of your backstory detectiveness.

Ah, it is so heavenly to know there is more long worded Joss coming our way (albeit, way way down the pike - but anticipation is SOOOOO SWEET!)

Posted by Cele at October 4, 2005 11:56 AM

LOL! Yeah, the novel Iw ill write one day (not the YA stuff but the novel in my head) is about a Hittite woman from Judges Chapter 4 (I want to write Biblical fiction) but all that reasearch to KNOW Jewish culture, etc... It scares me spitless.

Posted by Heather at October 4, 2005 12:25 PM

PS yeah, I was looking for the boobie cookie picture. ;)

Posted by Heather at October 4, 2005 1:41 PM

Anybody that totes spiders outside instead of bringing a well deserved death to them and saves newts must have a few kick ass stories pent up inside of them.

Can't wait to see your new read!

Posted by Chickie at October 4, 2005 1:47 PM

It would be my deepest pleasure to find a way to come up with boobie cookies for you. Just say the word!

Signed,
Let Me Tell You More About My Vagina

Posted by Mir at October 4, 2005 5:53 PM

Oh, yes. I have these character bible worksheets that I use sometimes when I'm trying to flesh out characters. The worksheet asks like 8,000 random questions, but I find it helpful--particularly when I'm 60,000 words in and have forgotten what my secondary character looks like!

Posted by Edgy Mama at October 4, 2005 8:45 PM

Boobie cookies would be easy! A round cookie, vaguely skin-colored frosting, a blog of pinker frosting in the middle and then Cinnamon Red Hot or something in the middle of that! I can't believe they didn't include those. Heh.

Posted by DebR at October 5, 2005 8:39 AM

Man, I was so going to comment on DebR's boobie cookies, but I just can't do it. *blushing*
Backstory, now. Absolutely. The problem for me though is getting bogged down while trying to come up with the backstory, especially during world building for a future/spec fic setting. Rock on, Joss.

Posted by David at October 5, 2005 10:08 AM

If you should by any chance need an economist to consult, my "Don" back in college was Frank Roosevelt (III), and he's a sweet man. Also know a Brit out here in Cali who designs advanced financial models that are so obscure his wife (very cool Venezuelan art history chick) doesn't know what the hell he's talking about when he comes home from work at night. He was my skeet advisor--lent me his shooting coach's book on the sport after hearing me blather about what I'd Googled on the topic and deciding (with heavy sigh, eye-rolling, and slow headshaking) that I didn't know my butt from a clay pigeon.

Boob cookies no doubt available from the Erotic Bakery in NYC, if they're still in action and should you ever be looking for something in that line (Xmas treats for the TW field sales reps?).

Not that I would actually ever have patronized such a questionable business establishment, of course, being myself a wholly virtuous, dewy-eyed, innocent, clean-minded chick. (Cha.) It's just that I had a friend years back who developed this not-entirely-sound-in-the-dating-strategy-arena predilection for having lifesize headless/limbless dark chocolate female torsos messengered to her newer beaux as thank-you gifts. I hope she's read "The Rules" since. Probably not.

Posted by Cornelia Read at October 5, 2005 11:46 AM

Mmmm, chocolate...

Posted by David at October 5, 2005 12:55 PM

That candy is so cute!

Posted by cj at October 10, 2005 12:45 PM

hi! i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by stephanie at October 11, 2005 12:32 PM