Comments: A Gavel Bangin' Good Time Was Had by All

Wow. I had already decided by reading that you were brave and good, but now, with the audio thing? You are Brave! And evidently (by the evidence), Warner thinks you are also Good! Very much congrats!

(I love how everyone, including me, who reads an entry of yours and then comments, somehow absorbs some of your adorable voice/style and injects it into their comments. Thank you for making us feel like Writers/Novelists (and Pretty) for these brief comment-y moments.)

Posted by MySelf at September 23, 2005 11:04 AM

Way to go Joss, how awesome. Does this mean royalties in your future? Not that you aren't royalty to us, I mean really gods and the Queen Mary II, I bow to you - metaphorically speaking.

See I told the bison was just fine, you will survive another day. Bison mozzerella rollup? Honey you've definately were blessed with a perverse sense of reality. Bon Appetite!

I do all my crits in RTF and I've never had a problem, beyond my own failings, but now that you've brought the possibilities to my attention I can see this gremlin rearing its ugly head to grin on my parade.

Posted by Cele at September 23, 2005 11:24 AM

Wait, can't you just open MS Word again and go to File>Recent Documents to get it back?

I clearly have no concept of what working in an RTF document might entail. LOL

Posted by Heather Cook at September 23, 2005 11:35 AM

Do I know this bad person? 'Cause I'm thinking maybe I do. LOL

SQUEEEEEEEEE! Reading the audio!! Big fat hairy WOW! That's BRILLIANT! Am
nd now I'm British, too! Congrats!

Posted by Amy-GO at September 23, 2005 11:50 AM

Technical note concerning the aforementioned rtf file. Those who don't care, please avert your eyes.

The fact that it was an rtf file was not the problem. The problem was that the file was never saved to the local hard drive. It was opened directly from the attachement in the email. When Joss hit save, there wasn't a local copy for it to save to. It saved as a temp file which is how an attachment is stored until you actually save it to a specific location. Word should have asked her to specify a location instead but alas, it did not. In searching, I only found a shortcut to the old temp location which no longer existed when I instituted the search.

End technical digression.

Resume witty banter.

Posted by Mr. Husband at September 23, 2005 1:33 PM

But it makes perfect sense for you to read your own books -- Barbara Kingsolver, after all, does. ;^> Said she couldn't bear someone else getting the accents in Prodigal Summer wrong, and once you've heard her version of an eight year old tomboy saying "Shitfire," you know she was right. Warner is a canny, canny business enterprise. Awwwwwwful lot of people listening to books on their ipods while they work off those five pounds of cruisebutt. They know a moneymaker when they hear it/her.

Posted by rams at September 23, 2005 2:23 PM

Joshilyn,

Please ignore all people who say rotten things to you/about you! Please recall the "reader" who didn't like the "effin" way you used dialog and the weirdo in the book store who had a GREAT idea for a novel, but couldn't read other peoples work or he'd loose his own voice (God can you please make that happen soon?) … clearly they were whack jobs …. only listen to those of us who come to visit your world daily. YES, YES, YES you should read! Although you are not a "Professional", aren't you a "professional" ie: you studied the theater at some point? Anyway, I have heard you read for “gods” and can’t imagine anyone else doing “Between” equal justice. My vote is you read … and we get to listen soon!

Posted by Mit_Moi at September 23, 2005 2:59 PM

You will be FABULOUS reading your own book!!! I promise. One of my favorite books to listen to on tape is Fanny Flagg's "Red Bird Christmas", and it's because she read it herself. It just sounds perfect in her voice.

Posted by liz at September 23, 2005 3:35 PM

LET THE RECORD SHOW that I gushed over your perfect demo tape while you told me to SHUT UP. (Listen, I am so rarely right; I have to flaunt it when it happens.)

Posted by Mir at September 23, 2005 3:58 PM

You...beat out Jodie Foster? Um. Wow.
I can believe it.

Posted by Kira at September 23, 2005 4:09 PM

Wow! I may have to buy Between in Audio just for that reason!!!

Posted by Heather at September 23, 2005 5:26 PM

I will admit to a prejudice against audio books. I want to read books, not have them read to me. BUT...hearing Ms. Joshilyn read her story aloud herveryownself? Hhhmmm....I admit that tempts me.

I'll still buy the ForRealWithPagesToTurn version, but I may have to arrange to borrow the audio book from the library. (The librarian will faint.)

Posted by DebR at September 23, 2005 5:44 PM

Wow! Can I just say that I SO enjoy reading your blog? I mean... really, I do. You entertain the socks off of me and I'm not really a blog reading kind of gal to begin with. So, this is a pretty spiffy deal for me all the way around. I read your book: love it. Immediately wanted to read MORE from you. And oh, what's this? More of this woman who wrote this charming book!

So, now on a near-daily basis, I read your blog: love it.

Can't wait to read a new book from you!

Alicia

Posted by Alicia at September 24, 2005 7:58 AM

After talking with you on the radio lo those several weeks ago I am not one bit surprised to hear that Warner loved your tape. Your voice is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. It's bell-clear, you have a gorgeous soft ladylike mild southern accent that is like buttah, and your timing is awesome. Must be a combo of god-given gift and theatre training - but whatever it is, you have IT. Just another reason to say YOU'RE PRETTY.

Posted by Jilly at September 24, 2005 1:49 PM

Hey! Thank you for rambling relentlessly like the voice in your head-its really rather comforting. and added bonus-quite amusing!

One day I'll get my act to gethre and do something insane like you and actually write a novel. Its been lurking for some time now scrambling to get out. Nice thing about your glogging deliciousness is that I can get a little foretaste (is that a word) of what life might be like when I do. Thanks!

Posted by sp8cemunky at September 25, 2005 2:30 PM

and yes I am a non spell checking my email numpty (little Britishness there for ya)

Posted by sp8cemunky at September 25, 2005 2:34 PM

It appears I'm going to have to buy Between, Georgia in two formats -- and I've never bought an audio book in my life. Way to go!

Posted by Aimee at September 26, 2005 10:15 AM

Ooooo. You'll have reading your own book on tape in common with E.B.White. Him reading his very own Charlotte's Web is our family's all-time favorite book on tape. We listened to the first copy we ever got so many times we wore out the cassette tape. I've personally bought & given away at least a dozen copies of that.

And I'm planning on doing the same for Between, Georgia (even without having read the book yet)!

My favorite books on tape are those read by the author(ess), (except for Tony Hillerman whose voice is NOT PRETTY) because the author(ess) knows best how the book should sound!

Way to go, Miss Joss!

Posted by Lulu at September 26, 2005 8:57 PM

Um, it's me again (speaking of too stupid to live). And I meant to say that I've given away dozens of GOOD audio copies of Charlotte's Web read by E.B. White, not the worn out cassette of it.

Posted by Lulu at September 26, 2005 9:00 PM