Comments: Don't Mess With The Sussex Police

"...a little like feeling up history" PWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA FEELING UP HISTORY ::::::::::hooting:::::::: you should be a writer or something....

Jilly

Posted by Jilly at September 5, 2005 8:04 AM

Yay! You made it! Can't wait to hear more. BTW don't have eggs at a pub, that whole "fry them really hard" thing will fall on deaf ears, there. And the only thing worse than runny eggs is runny eggs in England which are surely swimming around your plate with a mess of BEANS.

Posted by Mir at September 5, 2005 8:39 AM

jealous jealous jealous

It survived WWII, but could it have withstood Katrina?

Posted by Heather at September 5, 2005 2:41 PM

Hey, I say 'brilliant' all the time and I'm Canadian. Of course, I also call people wankers and describe people as foppish. I may be rather British. Or, I've been watching too many Colin Firth movies. Whatever.

Posted by Jennifer Jacula at September 5, 2005 10:38 PM

Hey Joshilyn
You think it's crazy finding your book at the airport? Well I bought it only yesterday in a supermarket in a little town in Yorkshire called Halifax. My Canadian friend was amused to find that we Brits also have a town called Halifax.. I was quick to point out that the Canadian version was named after ours!

I was stunned to see your book, as last September when my husband and I were honeymooning in NYC, I met you in the bathroom of an Italian restaurant! You were celebrating your new book and talking excitedly on your mobile (sorry, cell phone) to a friend. I can't remember what was said between us.. I think we just got chatting whilst hurriedly applying lipgloss.. but I made a mental note of your name.. I even looked it up when I came home but assumed (wrongly!) that the book may not travel across the Atlantic. Anyway, a year on, there it was, in a branch of Tesco in a small town in the North of England. Not the most salubrious of places to have picked it up, but I'm so happy to have tracked it down! Once I've finished the weighty Charlotte Bronte novel I'm reading I'll pick it up. Btw, the Brontes are locals so if you make it this far North, the Bronte Parsonage is a really atmospheric place to visit.
all the best
Rebecca

Posted by Rebecca at September 6, 2005 4:14 AM

Ok, once again...Brilliant!

Posted by Amy-GO at September 6, 2005 8:25 AM

Unless you live in the east or south of America... you don't realize what it is like to live in history. Well maybe that is because I lived in Germany for two years, and stood in awe of the history I'd learned in school, and read of in copious books. (I've a Gatwick type story - but it take place 28 years early in Frankfurt at the height of Bader Meinkoff reign terror.)

My three week visit to England (which was originally to have begun the week after 9/11) was awesome, awe inspiring, and of what dreams had been originally made (oh wait, there wasn't some handsome devil to sweep me off my feet - which of course my husband probably appreciates, as does said bloke because he'd need a fork lift which is not really romantic in the least.) I walked away believing that everything and everyone was Lovely - oh so lovely - isn't that brilliant?

It is so nice to live vicariously through Joss' experience and trip to London. Filled with her joy at finding gods on more shelves in England than I've found here. I have this mental picture of her jumping up and down after grabbing the book out of the poor lady's arms, and then having to show her id to prove who she is because after 20 hours of sleep deprivation she doesn't look like the lovely photo on the jacket.

Ah, the QMII awaits.

Posted by Cele at September 6, 2005 11:30 AM

Psst...Gatwick security was like that when I first went to London 12 1/2 years ago- Kevlar vests, machine guns, ear pieces, and looks that could kill. The Europeans have always been more progressive than Americans, but back then it was the IRA and not Al Qaida.

Posted by Sabra Wineteer at September 6, 2005 5:05 PM