Comments: Mercy on the Side

I know bangers and mash is sausage and potatoes in some form, but I don't know exactly how it's cooked.

Bubble and squeak has cabbage in it. That's all I need to know about that one. Bleah.

I've tried Vegemite, which is basically the down-under version of Marmite (courtesy of my bud Morven from NZ). If you picture beef boullion jelled to something about the consistency of deviled ham, you pretty much have the picture. Very salty, very beefy, very...um....not something I'm ever going to eat again.

Have fun in England!! Take LOTS of photos! Lots and LOTS!!

Posted by DebR at September 3, 2005 9:40 AM

Much love, Tulip! You will have a WONDERFUL time and I can't wait to hear all about it. Bon voyage to you and Mr. Husband and don't forget to have FUN. *smooches*

(creamed marmoset??? bwahahhaahhaa)

Posted by Mir at September 3, 2005 11:06 AM

Bon Voyage! Have a great time - I'll be looking forward to your impressions and photos.

Posted by Jenny at September 3, 2005 11:53 AM

Oh take me with you pullllleeeease. drats.

Funny I never ate a single thing on her list either. Half I didn't see offered thank God.

Bubble and squeak - cabbages? the title speaks for itself.

I will settle for pictures.

Posted by Cele at September 3, 2005 12:14 PM

Mmmmmm, fried dill pickles. *wipes drool off chin* Yum.
I'm so jealous. Although frankly not because of the cuisine. The sightseeing! The history! The entertainment! Take me with you!
Have a wonderful time. Photograph EVERYTHING. And come home soon...I'll miss you! :)

Posted by Amy-GO at September 3, 2005 1:28 PM

New reader here. Just want you to know that I LOVE your blog.

Have a lovely trip.

Posted by MIM at September 3, 2005 2:55 PM

Joss,
We have been living here in England for almost 2 years and I still dont know what some of that stuff is. I guess we have been so focused on sightseeing and other things we have not paid too much attention to the food. Do have some fish and lovely fat greasy chips mmmm. Have a wonderful time!!

Posted by Whitney at September 3, 2005 3:43 PM

Bubble and Squeak

An old English dish, named for the sounds the ingredients make while cooking (or from the sound one's stomach makes after eating it). Some sources say it was originally cold boiled beef and chopped cabbage, others claim it was originally mashed potatoes and cabbage, while some claim it originally contained all three.

Today it is typically made from leftover potatoes and cabbage fried together.

Had it... love it... will make Joshilyn at least try it.

Posted by Mr. Husband at September 3, 2005 3:57 PM

Actually, the best food in London tends to be Indian cuisine. I try to avoid the native stuff--you never know when a kidney is going to pop up on your plate.

Have fun!

Posted by Edgy Mama at September 3, 2005 8:38 PM

Have fun. I continue to be glad I like you so I don't have to ahte you. ;)

Posted by Heather at September 3, 2005 11:39 PM

Lord, Jos, I think we may be related. "Don't you forgit ter pour sum of that black-strap muhlasses on that biskit if thar's eny left"

Posted by Deb at September 5, 2005 3:35 PM