Comments: GCC: Three Questions with Robin Epstein and Renee Kaplan

I was so mad at the end of "My Sister's Keeper". My sister-in-laws and I have an informal book/share and we all were crying and angry and Jodi. But I guess that is the sign of an incredible writer.

Posted by Jo at August 22, 2005 11:27 AM

josh, I have a friend who writes graphic novels on the side. He is currently writing/bringing out his deceased wife's project "Omaha, the Cat
Dancer" which is apparently BIG NEWS in comic-dom. They are re-issuing all the old material in a new compilation and he is finishing a story she began. He is also doing a re-issue of his own, "Kings In Disguise", and turning a play he wrote about the same characters into a graphic novel. It's very interesting to listen to him discuss it and how he works with the artist and publisher. Just wanted to brag on him a little, since he is part of the Comic World......

Posted by peggy spence at August 22, 2005 12:20 PM

I read an article where Picoult said her 12 year old son chose to read this book of hers, for the first time, and wouldn't speak to her for twenty four hours. The problem with following a thread to its honest conclusion. Aie.

Neil Gaiman, oddly, is both a friend of the "Omaha, the Cat-Dancer" couple AND a co-author (Good Omens, with Terry Pratchett.) What are the odds. A nice blog, too -- www.neilgaiman.com

Posted by rams at August 22, 2005 7:43 PM

Uh, I have two boxes full of comic books, beautifully preserved in neoprene sleeves, in the basement. One of my deep, dark secrets...

Thanks, as always, for the heads up, Joshilyn. This sounds like my kind of book.

Posted by Edgy Mama at August 22, 2005 8:57 PM

For the record, Bill Sienkiewicz was the best ever X-Men/New Mutants artist! Always nice to hear about strong and smart female lead characters in graphic novels. Thanks for the heads up. Great site.

Posted by ginger at August 23, 2005 4:01 PM

This is on a completely unrelated topic, but I had to express my excitement to you -

I have no money. (No I'm not excited about that, quite depressed actually) So I can't buy your novel, (sadness!) BUT! The local library in my teeny town had a copy of your book! (so happy!) But it was checked out (so sad!) - but they do reservations, so I put my name on a reserve list (HAPPY!) and then went home without it (sadness!). The library just called me to say the book is in and I can go pick it up tonight! (Ecstatic!)

I can't wait to read it! I just had to share.... aren't you pleased with my apparent neuroses?

I can't wait for work to end today - lalala lalala

Posted by Karry at August 23, 2005 4:17 PM

Jodi Picoult. She is to me what Haven Kimmel is to you. I am sure you understand the magnitude of that statement. My Sister's Keeper wrecked me for any other books for a bit. I threw it down and yelled at the poor helpless novel before moving on. In other words, I loved it.

Posted by Heather at August 23, 2005 5:40 PM

Being married to aforementioned Kevin, I actually follwed most of this! I guess long-term exposure to geekdom can't help but be an influence...that's what I'd blame it on if I were you, Jos! :)
He's turning my kids against me, too. Owen can talk about the X-Men all day long at FOUR YEARS OLD! Help! I need a weekend at a spa to detox...or a cruise! Yeah, that's it! A cruise from LONDON! Sigh...I'm only slightly jealous of your life. *grin*

Posted by Amy at August 23, 2005 7:00 PM