Comments: Sweet September (New! Improved! More Charlize! Less Death!)

Bon Voyage, you two! And Scott, for Pete's sake, don't let her take any silly old math books with her. ;-)

Posted by David at August 21, 2005 1:20 PM

Wow -- congrats and good luck. Sounds like it'll be a fantastic voyage. Don't forget to enjoy a fluffy drink with an umbrella on the lido deck for me.

I heartily agree with you about a writer's group. Having one that is filled with people you admire and trust is essential. If you don't feel like you've had your butt kicked at the end of a session (but more loved than ever), you've got the wrong crowd.

Posted by Michele at August 21, 2005 2:01 PM

I'm certain your mother is feeling much better now, that you're thinking of England.

I think I left the package of umbrellas at your place. Please take them on the cruise. ;)

Posted by Mir at August 21, 2005 3:35 PM

This is SO COOL about your cruise and so smart of them that I think everyone should buy Cunard stock if such exists. I mean, QM2! AND YOU! AND they have a whole Canyon Ranch thingie, described as "The 20,000-square-foot SpaClub™ facility...located on two decks" featuring, among many other delights:

Rasul Ceremony – 50 Minutes
Embark on an exotic Middle Eastern cleansing ritual of Rasul, created thousands of years ago for royal lovers. Indulge all your senses in an exquisite, ornately tiled steam chamber designed entirely for your comfort and pleasure. You and your partner generously lather each other’s skin with rare, purifying muds and recline in gently warmed, tiled chairs as intermittent herbal steam surrounds you. Finish with a rain-shower rinse from a starry, fiber-optic sky. A Canyon Ranch signature service.

***
Plus which, I totally bet that those exquisite, ornately tiled steam chambers are newt-free...

The "therapeutic body cocoons" also on offer sound a little freaky, however.

Posted by Cornelia Read at August 21, 2005 4:37 PM

As I tell my friend Ash, who is having her dream wedding and honeymoon soon, If I didn't like you so much, I would hate you.

Hey, if you buy my book from lulu, I will call you pretty. ;)

Posted by Heather at August 21, 2005 6:00 PM

i haven't even finished reading -- i got to chess pie and stopped --- i'm wondering if this is what our family calls chess cake -- is it like 6 pie crusts w/egg yolk, sugar, and maybe butter (can't remember -- my recipe book w/my great gramma's recipe is far away right now...) if it is, of COURSE you cannot shun that b/c you ARE ONLY HUMAN!

my gramma made this for my uncle's wedding - THAT is how special it is in our family. i've had it twice...the last time was for my gramma's 90th b-day this past march.

and OMG! THE TRIP SOUNDS DIVINE!!!!

okay - going back to read more --

Posted by kristen at August 22, 2005 1:49 AM

I agree with you about the writing group, but HOW does one assemble said group? That's really the problem.

I once joined a group with three writers I respect terrifically. However, they all have lives and rarely made the meetings, so the group didn't make it.

The other group I've found has members who don't give useful crit at all. ["I liked it" isn't beneficial whatsoever. If my work were that great, it'd be in print already.] Although it's nice that they all want to be respectful to one another, I leave feeling that I can't really trust anyone's crit b/c it's vague and heavy on compliments. :-(

Extremely nice people but not helping me as a writer. I have no idea how to create a worthy group.

Posted by Alicia at August 22, 2005 8:47 AM

Have a great trip! Sounds glorious.

The extended turtle metaphor is sooooo perfect. I just finished the FIRST draft of a novel, and when people ask me when it will be out, they're surprised when I look at them as if they have a large hole in their heads!

Posted by Edgy Mama at August 22, 2005 12:01 PM

it soooo looked like a Mensa problem, but I couldnt' figure it out, so could I have - ohhhhh pulllleeease four gross of Lithium?

Oh I so loved London, have fun, stock up on crunchy Cadbury, fish n' chips, and steak and ale pie. Oh, yummmmm there are 5 of your six pounds and you didn't even hit the cruise ship yet.

Crit partners and writing groups are so critical, and all too often you find a group that gives you half assed (as if I need half an ass more) assessments - totally sucks. Alicia drop me a line, I love to crit, I'm almost done with my current.

Hmmm, btw Joss you missed that herd of turtles on fly paper over there.

Posted by Cele at August 23, 2005 7:36 PM