Comments: Hello, Great Britain---YOU ARE NOT HOBBITS!

Oh come on ... they are a LITTLE bit like hobbits, aren't they? Just a teensy bit?

Congrats on the UK launch and all the great cross-Atlantic buzz. We are reading gods up here in Canada too!

Posted by Trudy at August 7, 2005 4:56 PM

Josh,

If you are every in the SF east bay for a book tour.. I invite you to join me at my FAVORITE thai restaurant. Thier Tom Ka Gai will make you weep for joy.

Congrats on the international success of your book!

Posted by Debra at August 7, 2005 6:47 PM

Wait a minute. *stops, nonplussed* Did she just say "mouth pooter"? *ROFL*

Congrats on the still growing success of gods. Of course, you realize I'm still dying for Between, Georgia's debut! *hint, hint*

You know, given the choice, the British might not actually mind being Hobbits. After all, those turf-covered, in-ground home designs are to die for. All that lovely woodwork. *swoons with ecstatic envy*

Posted by David at August 7, 2005 8:49 PM

Oh. My. Goodness.

Thank you, m'dear. i can sleep easy tonight.

Posted by Heather at August 7, 2005 10:05 PM

As an ex-patriate Brit, I'd like to thank you for going to bat for us Britons. We really are not at all Hobbit-like.

Well aside from the feet.

Posted by Rachie at August 8, 2005 6:40 AM

Debra, she will never meet you at the Thai restaurant to weep for joy if you call her "JOSH". She really hates being called "JOSH". The JOSH in JOSHILYN is really pronounced JOSS. So practice that, and she'll eat Thai food with you. (She may eat with you anyway, but she'll weep for joy more if you have the name right) And ya'll don't EVEN want to know how a hobbit would pronounce it.... (just jossin' ya) By the way, maybe they didn't actually say HOBBITS. Maybe they said "BOBBIES" and the bloody bloke typing the words for the closed caption heard it wrong too?

Posted by Diana at August 8, 2005 9:28 AM

Actually, it's when you pronounce the JOSH part as FRED that she tends to get really upset....

Also, I hear talking about her like she's not actually there, say, on her own site, can cause problems... but I don't really know.... ;)

Posted by Mir at August 8, 2005 10:14 AM

Congrats, Ms. International Author! Woo-hoo.

Do you get to go to the UK to promote gods? I lived in London for two years, so let me know if you need a translator to accompany you--I specialize in Southern to British.

And Thailand? Does this mean that someone is going to translate gods into Thai?

More information, please.

Posted by Edgy Mama at August 8, 2005 10:44 AM

ooooh, first England, then the continent. Too kewl. Now think about this, somebody sitting on the seawall in Adelbrugh munching on fish and chips is saying something like this...

'I've got the best read, straight from the state's, "gods, of Alabama" quite naughty you know, but a delicious read. Really put down Austen, you've got to try gods, besides you've read that book 20 times. Past the malt, would ya now?'

I like hobbities, my son in law is just what I would think Sam Gamgee would be like, except Steven flies and won't go near a horse. Unless it is Uffington's White Horse.

Posted by Cele at August 8, 2005 10:45 AM

So, is the cover art different in the UK? I hope you'll post a pic (and one of the Thai cover, too -- how cool is that?!)

Congrats on both -- you deserve it!

Posted by Aimee at August 8, 2005 10:58 AM

On behalf of myself and my fellow brits I would like to thank you for your statements.

Just becuase my toes are hairy that does not make me hobbit like, and DBF (at a cool 6' 6" tall) is the most un-hobbit like chap you could meet!

HOBBITS! BAH!