Comments: GCC: Three Questions with Alesia Holliday

More great books to add to my list. Thanks, Joss-a-lyn.

Posted by Edgy Mama at July 27, 2005 10:32 AM

Thank you for introducing us to another interesting author. I work in the world of politics, where nice-but-tough is the only way to survive. (One genteel, soft-spoken, gray-haired woman lawmaker recently gave me a look that would peel paint at 30 paces. But graciously...)
Shall look for Alisia Holliday's works. Thanks!

Dana

Posted by Dana at July 27, 2005 1:39 PM

Ooops!! And here I've been pronouncing the H! Glad you said something ;)

Good interview!

Posted by Angel at July 27, 2005 3:14 PM

What a treat! I enjoy the Literary Chicks blog, so I was tickled to see this interview. Thanks!

Posted by Andi at July 27, 2005 4:36 PM

Oh my gosh! I just finished 'gods in Alabama", and I soooo loved it. An interesting side note is that from reading the book and from your picture on the cover, I just knew I somehow knew you. Since I grew up in Muscle Shoals, Al, graduated from UNA, and have lived around Atlanta for the last 24 years, I was crazy trying to figure out where our paths have crossed. I can tell I am much older than you so it is unlikely that it was in our youth...Your bio didn't tell me the name of your hometown--just deep South. Then finally I ran across the interview where you said Possett was loosely based on Leighton!!! I called my best friend who gave me the book and now lives in Huntsville and was just gloating that I had solved the mystery!!! I don't know you personally; I just know you because everything you write about is just soooo familiar. Southern writers always just suck me in, but the more I read them, the more clear it becomes that they are regional. A quarter way through 'gods'and I knew you had to have spent some considerable time in Northwest Alabama. I see bits and pieces of "my people" all through your characters. Write fast; I can't wait for the next book.

On a different note, the Microwave Garden, uh I mean Olive Garden is just barely passable when your NOT on vacation. Around Atlanta, find a Provino's. It is a family owned place or used to be family owned that has been around Atlanta for years. Yummy!

Posted by Joan White at July 27, 2005 10:36 PM

To Joan's comment above-- Wasn't 'gods in Alabama' just ADDICTING?? I loved this book so much, and read it JUST after finishing Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd). If you are sucked in by the Southern style, and haven't read this one, 'bees' will do the trick. As for Joshilyn's 'gods' book, I truly missed the characters after I finished the book, because they came ALIVE during the story and I felt as though they were friends who had moved away when I was done. Eagerly awaiting the next one...more Southern style, served only the way JJ can serve it. Sunny side up.

Posted by Diana at July 28, 2005 12:01 AM

I know exactly what you mean! I am so sorry to be finished with it. Yes, I, too, love "Bees"!! I just read her second one, "The Mermaid's Chair". It is not Bees but is definitely worth your time. I have a hard time even committing the time to a book lately if it is not Southern. I just finished two books by Cassandra King before I read 'gods', and they were good--'The Sunday Wife' and 'Making Waves'. I liked Making Waves the best. King is married to Pat Conroy, and I love his stuff too even though it is often dark. Oh, and you might read a little book called 'Ellen Foster' by Kay Gibbons. She is from North Carolina. I read it right after I read Bees and it too is about a young girl. I laughed and cried all through this tiny little book. Thanks for the comment; I can't wait for J.J.'s next one!

Posted by Joan White at July 28, 2005 12:42 AM