Comments: Myers Can Bite me. So Can Briggs.

I might have to take this thing again. I took it once and was deemed an ISTP and would therefore likely do well in a mechanical trade. I'm a career machinist. So. I was borderline on one of the letters that would have leaned me toward artistic rather than mechanical. Now that I'm scribbling a bit, I wonder if I've crossed the line. Oh, and just to stir the pot a little bit, show me a successful mother/homemaker who doesn't have the skill set to be a good Field Marshall

Posted by David at June 29, 2005 10:19 AM

I just took the damned thing and was labeled a Guardian, which is total crap. "More comfortable working within the system" - HA! I am famous for toppling systems and inventing new ones, then reinventing them, and so anti-status quo that I dig up my garden every year and move things around, like furniture. "Guardians believe in following the rules and cooperating with others." COME ON. I never met a rule I liked, and have spent half my life breaking them on principle. So Joss; if the test was wrong for me, then maybe you're not a Field Marshall after all. (DH confirms that my test results are complete B.S., and he believes in that stuff.)

Posted by Jilly at June 29, 2005 10:27 AM

LMAO - what a great demonstration of an ENTJ! Woohoo! You are probably right on the border of the T/F... with just enough T to be able to plot and just enough F to put some emotion in it. I am a total F so I cry at stoopid things and can't plot to save my life.... can we switch?

Posted by Heather McCutcheon at June 29, 2005 10:45 AM

When I was younger and would take these things, I always came out INFJ (counselor). A few years ago though, I started consistently testing out as INFP (healer). Both are part of the Idealist category, as is the teacher you think you should've tested as. If you just use the labels, I don't think of myself as being much of a counselor OR a healer, but if I read the descriptions....yep, I see myself in there.

Posted by DebR at June 29, 2005 11:44 AM

I also came out as a Guardian (total crap) which is very unlike the Bloginality test I took way back when, so I must conclude that the test is crap.

'Sides, the real Meyers-Briggs test is over 500 questions, I believe, so any of the abbreviated versions are just dumb. So saith ME.

Posted by Mir at June 29, 2005 12:29 PM

Okay, I found the test hard. Quit rolling your eyes. Do you find that you fall inbetween the two answers? Or wanting to skip a question because the answers don't apply? That's me on so many levels. Plus there is the trait of wanting to chose one answer, but knowing that everyone always says the exact opposit about me. Argh... So I took what the voice(s)in my head said. So doesn't that make you feel good that a Guardian hears voices in her head?

Most fit me, I didn't buy so I've no idea my letters, but if you asked me I would have told you I was a nurturer or a healer. But, if I would have bought it would have told me I was a Protector or a Provider. I always have to fix everything and make it right for you. Hense I am darn good at critiquing. Just ask me I will tell you.

Ugh, this makes me sound so cookie cutter, run of the mill, yes ma'am, on the double ma'am. Ugh, I've tried so hard all my life (that's a lot of years) to not be THAT person. I want to be unique, instead I'm Jane Smith (I'm sorry Jane no offense intended.)

So sad. Darn, now I'll be blue, cookie cutter, run of the mill, feel sorry for myself, yes ma'am I'm on my way, but here let me fix that for you first...cover your shift, no problem, and while you're there here are passes to the musuem enjoy...I'll take care of every thing....doormat...all day long.

Zoloff anyone?

Posted by Cele at June 29, 2005 12:35 PM

I'm an Architect, INTP. But I ALWAYS split the I/E questions 50/50. So I am both an introvert and an extrovert?

A psychologist friend of mine says that your Meyers-Briggs is not set in stone--it can change during your lifetime.

Joshilyn, regardless of your type, you are hilarious.

Posted by Edgy Mama at June 29, 2005 12:43 PM

I used to be an ENFP. Now, apparently, I'm an ENFJ. Give it time. Things change, Atilla.

Just kidding. Don't have me killed and fricasseed, please.

Tee hee hee...

Posted by Lani at June 29, 2005 1:50 PM

Welp, they say I'm a Guardian. The whole guardian description pretty fits me to a tee, except they missed out on all the procrasting and time-wasting I do. What do I need to do to get my four letters? How will I know if I'm a supervisor, a protector, an inspector or a provider? Do I have to pay my $14.95?

Posted by laura at June 29, 2005 2:18 PM

I think I'm an LMAO. Or perhaps a PB&J.

:D

Posted by lizardek at June 29, 2005 2:23 PM

Well, as Mir said, the actual Meyers-Briggs is a MUCH longer test. Sure, everyone waffles on answers, but if the test is long enough, you collect enough info to know where you likely fall.

An abbreviated test such as this will give you a rough idea, but you may well fall into a "neighboring" category if you took the full thing.

Posted by Mr. Husband at June 29, 2005 4:22 PM

I took the test last year - and was just as outraged as you at my ENTJ description (and how hard female ENTJs were to live with, etc. etc.) I decided though that what we needed was a description for Southern female ENTJs. Here it is: http://everythingandbutnothing.blogspot.com/2004/11/entj-southern-female.html.

I love your blog! Keep up the good work.

Posted by Shawn Lea at June 29, 2005 6:53 PM

Wow, I haven't taken these types of tests in years. While I don't remember the exact casting, I was always an introvert type, which is very true to form. I'd like to take a mini-test again to see where they say I fall in.

Posted by Cherlyn at June 30, 2005 9:52 AM

I am also a Guardian. Pretty accurate I think.

Funny when I was reading your description about yourself and killing anyone who gets in your way, I just pictured you eyeing up your perfect shoes on sale and someone else grabbed the last pair. Just sayin'........

Posted by Peek at June 30, 2005 10:17 AM

I didn't send them any money, but the free part showed I'm an Idealist. That actually fits pretty well. Except they didn't mention my tendency to procrastination which keeps me from actually changing the world. :)
Judith

Posted by Judith at June 30, 2005 12:02 PM

Several years ago I was doing some work in the Organizational Development department of a large corporation. One of my coworkers (who seemed to downright dislike me, but always with a fake smile on her face) was insistent that I should take the Myers-Briggs. She told me (as an OD consultant) that she could totally tell me beforehand what my results would be. She wrote down her prediction (without showing it to me)...I took the test...and the results were the opposite of what she thought they'd be. It was a truly gleeful moment.

Posted by Marilyn at June 30, 2005 1:28 PM

I have taken this a dozen times at least over the past 15 years and always come out the rare and elusive INFP.
Portrait of an INFP
- Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving
- (Introverted Feeling with Extraverted Intuition)

Key is to realize NOT everything in the description has to BE you. But as a generality the test is fairly close about who people are in their core, even if the person actively strives to reverse something they see as an issue. I knew a person who had created a life entirely not themselves according to Myers Briggs and when Meyers Briggs 'identified' them, they broke down and cried. They had hidden their inner self, because they did not like what they perceived as negative aspects of themselves.

Posted by Shawn B. at July 1, 2005 10:29 PM

Every type has its downsides and benefits. But remember that the types are just tendencies. Having a natural tendency to act a certain way, doesn't mean you have to act that way if you don't want to. I know it's easier said than done, but it's certainly not impossible.

The first step to change is awareness.

Posted by Roo at July 9, 2005 4:51 PM