Comments: 100 Things About My Father

Well geeze, that made me all weepy. (But in a good way.) Your father sounds like a wonderful person.

Posted by DebR at June 19, 2005 10:04 PM

I'm sitting here with big tears in my eyes thinking of all the nice good things about my own daddy...I'm a daddy's girl, too. Ain't it grand?

Mr. Jackson, if you're reading this, you've raised one fine girl. I'm proud to know her, sir...all the more so after reading this post. Happy Father's Day!

Posted by Amy at June 19, 2005 10:51 PM

Thank you for writing this. Father's Day is always a hard one for me. I stopped talking to mine when his wife told me eight years ago that he believes I caused my daughter's autism. In a way it was a relief, because he'd been a jerk for a long time and I finally got to exhale and say, "well, that's just so damn *stupid* I give up."

But even though it starts out sad, this day, I cheer up quickly, because my husband is an amazing father, and because there are so many other amazing fathers out there--a lot of whom have been great "dads" to me, without the least biological connection at all. They deserve to be celebrated EVERY day, those guys.

So here's a toast to all the fine men who care about kids, the dads like yours who are brave and dedicated and generous, no matter what. They send so much good into the world, and they make up for those sad guys who aren't able to shoulder parenthood themselves.

Posted by Cornelia Read at June 19, 2005 11:30 PM

That was awesome.

I hope your dad reads it and sees himself through your eyes...Every dad should know when they're Superman. it sounds like yours was :)

Posted by Thumper at June 20, 2005 1:50 AM

Oh man, now I miss my dad even more!!

Posted by lizardek at June 20, 2005 3:18 AM

Damn. Damn, And damn.

I got here from a link left by lizardek on her livejournal blog. About what comes before "boom, bang".

So I read that and left a comment. Attempting at humour. Then passing the time of day i wandered back here. And read a hundred things about your father. Then I read "Vicious Gossip".

Damn. Damn. And damn. I may now have to sepnd the rest of my life reading all your other blog entries, and buying your book.

Then I might "interrogate" you about getting a literary agent. But for now I think I will sit under the eaves of a building somewhere, breathing slowly, watching the silver streaks of rain fall, and knowing you know how to write.

And I think, for now, that is more than enough.

Posted by Dyvan at June 20, 2005 4:01 AM

Thanks for that delightful glimpse at your dad. He sounds like one of the all-time greats. I feel that way about my own dad too, who, at age 75 has still not retired because he's not done trying to make a difference in the world around him. The world could use more men like them. They're priceless treasures and all too rare.

Posted by David at June 20, 2005 8:41 AM

That was truly lovely. I'm a Daddy's Girl too!

I have been reading your blog for weeks and LOVE it. I got your book from the library the day they got it and finished it in a day. WONDERFUL!

Thanks for sharing your life and your talent.

Posted by Mim at June 20, 2005 9:07 AM

How lovely. *sigh*

Posted by Mir at June 20, 2005 9:28 AM

My Dad is one of my Hero's.
While I am the oldest of 5 and my Dad worked a ton of overtime keeping us off welfare, he always made time and sacrificed to give us opportunitities.

He introduced us to his loves; trapping, hunting, archery, and helped us understand Nature's Balance. He was a championship level athlete and we took after him. I chose soccer over Football and he was never disappointed.

He never pressured us to be HIM. He just gave us what he had to give in time and knowledge. For those things he felt were important and he had no knowledge (computers in the 70's/early 80's), he spent what would have been money for HIS new gun or car or vacation to buy us a Sears Laser Apple IIe, a set of EXPENSIVE Encyclopedia's (which I read front to back), and more.

At the time it was hard because I saw my Dad less than I thought I should. Today, as a new father myself (2.5yo girl) I realize that the time he did give us was all the more precious. It was the quality, not the quantity. He could have been a welfare bum giving us all the time in the world and teaching is nothing. Instead he instilled in us a sense of responsibility to make the most of what we have, to strive to be a better person, and to take time to appreciate the things that mean the most to us.

My Dad is a pyscho good Archer, and it is really one of his passions. For me, it is nifty but not something I 'love'. I visited him this Fathers Day and it is my turn to repay the favor. I picked up a used bow, he fletched me some arrows and we shot a few rounds on his homemade range. I scored 'Perfects' at 20 and 30 yards after not shooting for 15 years. You should have seen the joy and pride on my Dads face. I have 33 years of appreciation to pay back, and I take every chance I can.

Posted by Shawn B at June 20, 2005 9:54 AM

Bwahhh I just finished reading and BAWLING right at my desk at work. My co-workers walked by and gaped at me like I'm a loon.

So to make them cry I'm now forwarding the link to this blog entry and then they can have messy make up and snot running down their faces too.

I always wanted to be a Daddy's Girl. I guess I sort of was, even through a nasty divorce where I had to pick sides I tried to be a Daddy's Girl and keep it fair at the same time.

Posted by Heather McCutcheon at June 20, 2005 11:57 AM

After my dad died, I wanted to write a piece to commemorate his life, but it always seemed too big, too difficult. With your list, you have shown me how to start. Thanks for sharing your love for your dad with us.

Posted by Dara at June 20, 2005 1:24 PM

Joss,
I have always thought of your dad as one of the most wonderful men in the world. He is one in a million!

Posted by whitney at June 20, 2005 3:33 PM

Joss, thanks for describing your Dad with the list of 100 tidbits. Having worked for (and with) him for a few years, it is the best description I've ever read because it is right on target! (That from someone who is a non-relative!) You are truly a blessed young woman to have had such a great example in your dad. I would be lying if I did not 'ditto' that for your Mom too. I am enjoying your blog very much. Oh, yes, and I LOVED THE BOOK!!

Posted by Sherrie at June 20, 2005 4:11 PM

What a wonderful post! I was a Daddy's Girl too :) Reading your list made me remember all the things my Dad and I used to do and it made me wish I still had him here with me.

Posted by Linda D. at June 20, 2005 5:32 PM

Joss, unbelievable. I had to go to work early so I am thankful I waited until after my airshift to do my blogging, you made me cry. But now you've also given me a wonderful idea for my parents' 50th anniversary in August.

Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous love affair with the written word with the growing mass known as us - those who have become utterly smitten with everything that pops out of your computer.

blog on

Posted by Cele at June 20, 2005 7:57 PM

I had to laugh about #15. The husband has plans, when the girls are old enough to date, to greet their suitors while cleaning his gun and telling stories about when he was an action guy. You know, the kind of stories that make them tremble with fear at the thought of even kissing that scary guy's little girl.

I love that my daughters are turning into daddy's girls.

Posted by Jensgalore at June 20, 2005 11:16 PM

My father died March 2004 so Father's Day is tough for me. But reading your list reminded me of my dad; they have A LOT of similarities. My dad did multiple tours in Nam as well. [I found out a month before his death he was a sniper and it was SO hard to reconcile with the gentle man I knew.]

Thanks for sharing this personal tribute.

Alicia

Posted by Alicia at June 21, 2005 7:49 AM

Nice words about your Good Dad. I try to be a Good Dad myself everyday. Just got your gods of Alabama book in the mail yesterday. Three chapters in and loving it! Wonderfully excited to find your blog and plan to keep checking in. My blogger friend, aspiring writer A Southern Girl Speaks was recently told by a VERY FAMOUS writer friend that bloggers were amateur nimwits who were wasting their writing time. Glad to see another perspective here with you. Thanks for sharing your time with us!

Posted by K. Brown at June 21, 2005 8:07 AM

Dear Joshilyn and other lovers of Southern writing,...recommend you check out http://asoutherngirlspeaks.blogspot.com/...

Posted by K. Brown at June 21, 2005 10:08 AM