Comments: The Plural of Man-O-War Should Be Men-O-Pause

So are you collecting quotes or not? Here's mine, from my ol' grandmother (punctuation optional): "Wish in one hand, shit in the other, and see which one fills up faster."

Posted by laura at June 8, 2005 6:07 PM

I'd take your call. Then we could have a pithy party.

One thing about aging: Time gets more valuable as it whooshes by (runs out). (Supply & demand, I think.)

Just pithing in the wind,
T.

Posted by tyreese at June 8, 2005 6:43 PM

You have to be going through menopause to have three floaty black chin hairs! Egads, I have had them since I was 35, now I am 38. My daughter tells everyone I am 36....she's 10, so I let her imagine away.

Quote: Oh shit!

Posted by Robbie at June 8, 2005 6:56 PM

I am so excited I decided to link to you yesterday, Josh! Cuz today, while I'm hard at work (still) on getting into the Guiness Book as the oldest living woman to have 5 periods a month- well, I find this!
Menopause is everything it's cracked up to be and more! More, I tell you!
Now about your agent. As you wax poetly about his death, you're sure he's still your agent? He might be having his retirement party at this very moment.
Cheer up- you're a baby, I've seen pictures of you and you look great.

Posted by vicki at June 8, 2005 7:20 PM

So is Men-o-pause the plural of Man-o-war? Or the past tense?

Posted by Katrina at June 8, 2005 8:10 PM

That was a heck of a digression, m'dear, lemme tell ya. Your agent is probably still chuckling to himself about lit fic authors. My pithy quote for you? Okay, here 'tis. "Funny thing about aging -- women grow beards and men grow boobs. What's up with that?"

Posted by David at June 9, 2005 8:00 AM

I cant' recall how I came across your blog but I just love it.

I am a writer of some kind and its great to hear the "digression". It makes the writing/publsihing/real life mixture seem possible.

If your book has any of the flair your blog does, I'll get cover to cover in just seconds.

And I am SO relieved to hear that I'll get all wise in my 40's-I only have one year to go and I could use some wisdom.

Posted by Julie at June 9, 2005 9:14 AM

ooops wrong url earlier-
here's the correct one

Posted by julie at June 9, 2005 9:27 AM

When I turned 30, I decided no one (particulary no one male) could mess with me. When I turned 40, I decided no one could mess with me, but I, I am fully allowed to mess with whomever I want--no more bullshit filters, no more nice manners just because my Mom says so, no more putting up with people I just don't like. AHHHHHH! Victory is mine.

And speaking of aging, there's a nice debate about certain "surgical procedures" going on over at my site.

BTW, I want to be Vicki when I grow up.

Posted by Edgy Mama at June 9, 2005 11:54 AM

Hell, what's magical about 35? Many of us start falling apart LONG before then.

I suspect that 35 is when you start making sure you have a pair of tweezers by EVERY mirror in your house.

Not that I would know. Yet.

Posted by Mir at June 9, 2005 2:17 PM

Heck, tweezers in the car, tweezers at work, tweezers in your purse...okay, enough already I should be bald, but drats I was blessed with a lot of chin I guess. Yup, it gets worse.
Four years ago my eye doctor told me "Cele you're at that age where your vision will begin rapidly deteriorating."
What the *!*? Four years later I am half blind, and nobody tells me if I've got a three inch hair under my chin and I can't see it. And of course it's not black, oh no it is the brightest silver hair on my head.

unpithy, beyond the thirties, almost into the fifties quote...

"Close you're eyes you won't get quite as dizzy."

Better yet, don't blend the margaritas just pass me the whole pitcher. That way I'll have an excuse for being dizzy, beyond the overdose of bottle blonde.

Posted by Cele at June 10, 2005 1:08 AM

Like fine wine I only get better with age is my mantra. Turning 40 was a new beginning for me. Accepting who you are and where you are in life will only make you happier. I'm 48 and happy to be so. Getting older isn't as bad as you are led to believe. Enjoy 35....it's only going to get better

Posted by rosie at June 10, 2005 10:26 AM

You know, I've now become utterly addicted to your blog. I sit here and laugh my ass off while my husband looks at me with his head tilted to the side and sighs. What does he know, anyway?

Know what I love the most? Your book read just like your blog - I laughed through that too, when I wasn't getting all teary eyed.

I'm going to forty years old in a month, and my boobs never once pointed at the sun. I have been *robbed*, I tell you! Robbed!

Write on, Joshilyn!

Posted by Kris at June 10, 2005 7:41 PM

Not old, just older.

That said, if the rest of me goes the way of my boobs, aging will Not. Be. Pretty. *shudder*

Posted by Amy at June 11, 2005 11:28 AM

Oh dear, I'm glad someone else says "I'm going to hell" just like I do. Perhaps it means we're just southern and not exhibiting a stratospheric mental illness number (although I would bet you a case of my new favorite thing -- Minutemaid Light Limeade -- that in my case this is a longshot).

Ellen, whose creativity is wasted in Public Relations

Posted by Ellen in KY at June 12, 2005 10:51 AM

Is 35 a magic number?

I always think that in just 5 more years I will be better off, and of course I always am. One day there will be no more years, and I will be content having lived the life I have and moving on to something even better.
or...
I'll be dust.
But...
Maybe both.

Posted by Shawn B. at June 13, 2005 10:34 AM

Hey, having hit the pause button at the ripe old age of 29 I have one thing to say- see you in the freezer, or rather, standing in front of it with your shirt open carrying on a conversation about your dog with your horrified neighbor who didn't want to see your sweaty, blotchy, heat flashed skin while trying to sell cookies!

Posted by Chris at June 16, 2005 5:10 PM