Comments: GCC: 3 Questions with Shanna Swendson (and the first VIRTUE REPORT|)

I reported last night, not that you ever read my blog anymore. ;)

What a GREAT interview! I think the thing I like MOST about your blog is that through you and the folks you interview I'm learning that novelists are not, in fact, a superhuman species from Alpha Centauri. I mean, y'all are still MUCH COOLER than me, but I love the mundane details and seeing how even those who are successful struggle with all kinds of stuff. Very cool.

Posted by Mir at June 1, 2005 10:39 AM

My report: I ran yesterday despite being Capital-G-Grumpy. Also I made nutritious dinner of skinless chicken burgers. And I made a yummie brocoli salad that everyone hates but me. BUT I was very sweet-hungry and so I ate several small colored marshmellows. Fat free though. Little fluffs of goodness I say.

Great interview. I have bought many books that I've seen here on your blog and loved them ALL.

I have a question I would like you to answer. How do you find the time to read?? Are you just a speed reader? Because I have a dreadful time staying focused and reading....

Posted by Heather McCutcheon at June 1, 2005 11:30 AM

I am working up the guts to diet with you, but I'm now menopausal and fighting the B*tch effect. Ladies please buy stock in Tylenol PM when you get that far, sleep is now the most important thing in the world, okay not that important, but it ranks up their after God, Ducky, kids - grans, and ICE CREAM . Okay so the first four take no effort.
Love the interview with SS, your suggestions are going to make me book poor, but my authors are not producing at as fast a pace as I need, so no free reads at the moment. Enchanted, inc. will come right after The Avatar by Ivar Tarizi that is a Peggy Tibbetts suggestion, and she's got great taste.
Ugh, okay day one began with oatbran, blueberries, cinnamon, and a banana. Oh that is my normal breakfast. But it is high in fiber.

Posted by Cele at June 1, 2005 12:45 PM

Day 1 was 95% successful, eating to make Dr. Agatston proud, power walk with half of it UPHILL (pant, gasp, wheeze) and ending the day with a Yoplait yougurt. Which has sugar. But it was yogurt, not ice cream. And not a speck of flour. Today has also begun well. Thanks for the push and good going, you!

Posted by Dara at June 1, 2005 2:34 PM

Day One went okay until 8 p.m. when this huge peanut butter sandwich YELLED at me from the kitchen COME GET MEEEEE!!! Then, of course, the MILK started yelling and oh well.
Jill
of the size 16 butt
a pure disgrace

Posted by Jilly at June 1, 2005 2:44 PM

Jill
of the size 16 butt
a pure disgrace

Posted by Jilly at June 1, 2005 2:44 PM

1) The book sounds good. I need to check this one out!

2) First day of Virtue. Bleah. Virtue sucks. But I'm trying. Lots of water in the Big Blue Glass. A steep-hilly sweaty walk after supper. No bread. No 'taters. Nothing fried. No candy, cookies, ice cream, or coconut cake (sob). I ate a lot of fruit, which is sugar, but not refined sugar and if I didn't have it you would have been hearing about my rampage on the national news. So.

Today was grocery shopping day and I stocked up on an assortment of Virtue-approved foods and avoided the candy aisle and the counter in the bakery section where they give you a free cookie. Is it really only Day 2? REALLY??

Posted by DebR at June 1, 2005 4:27 PM

PS...It is 4:34 PM and I would gladly mug a little old lady for some nachos right now.

Just had to share that.

Posted by DebR at June 1, 2005 4:35 PM

I used to think authors had to be superhuman or from another planet. Even though I always wanted to be a writer, I never thought that was something you could do. Being president or an astronaut seemed like more attainable careers. Now I know that very human people can do it (I mean, if they'll let me in, anyone can stand a chance). Then again, there are plenty of people who think I must be from another planet.

I'm trying to ignore this whole virtue thing. I'm in the first week of a book release, so I need to maintain a healthy blood chocolate level in order to cope. But good luck to everyone else!

Posted by Shanna Swendson at June 1, 2005 6:05 PM

OK I'll join you (as I finish off the last of the cheap white merlot). I was good the rest of the day. Exercise was field day at school, those 2nd graders really made me chase a lot of soccer balls! And a couple of walks.

I really loved the interview, and that's why I'm joining your 20 days of virtue. That, and I need a new pair of shoes.

Posted by Patti Hermes at June 1, 2005 11:50 PM

So I didn't play along yesterday officially, but did pretty well by eating reasonable stuff for breakfast, no sugar in coffee, sushi for lunch (very little rice), and no Lemon Drop. Your timing is impeccable because we are supposedly training for a 5K (me) and a triathlon (Mr Boyfriend) so June 1 was the first day for no more crap-eating. So far today I've been good. But the day is young yet. And there are peanut M&Ms *right across the room*. (I hear the drums of Mordor as I write this.)

Posted by Julia at June 2, 2005 12:43 PM