Comments: Good Omens and Budding Sociopaths

'we poked him a LOT'...peeing pants laughing...remembering I have three boys...going to lie down now...

Posted by Amy at May 23, 2005 10:39 AM

LOL! Don't worry - my sister and I caught snakes and tadpoles (typically named Dead Fred), put crickets to sleep with clover juice, woke 'em up again with coffee - and we've grown up to be very careful caretakers of pets and children, with no signs yet of becoming serial killers! (Although we are GIRLS.)

Posted by Laura at May 23, 2005 11:05 AM

LOL what's worse is my 11 yo ds caught tadpoles last year, and they grew into frogs, and then he realized he couldn't release them because the hole of the bottle that he kept the little buggers in... well they just grew too big in the jar! Acckkk!

Go with the tad-tainer! It's a good thing! ;-)

Posted by Linda at May 23, 2005 2:09 PM

Oh honey, you don't know sociopath tendencies. What I wouldn't give for a little harmless wildlife torture over here at my house....

Posted by Mir at May 23, 2005 2:17 PM

Um, Joss, I get the neatness of that moth, but it is durn sheery! If it landed anywhere near me I would probably faint dead away and then wake up and cry.

heh

I am NOT outdoorsy, ya think?

Posted by Heather at May 23, 2005 4:29 PM

ahem

SKEERY

not 'sheery'

back to your regular scheduled comments

Posted by Heather at May 23, 2005 4:31 PM

Here is a hypothetical situation: if I caught two of my boys playing catch in the driveway with a guinea pig, should I consult a therapist? For them? After getting the guinea pig a new home STAT, of course. Or should I resign myself to the fact I am raising multiple criminals?

Again, just wondering....for my friend.

Anne www.tinykingdom.typepad.com

Posted by "Anne" at May 23, 2005 5:02 PM

Grace and Andrew used to catch crawdads(mistakenly called CRAYFISH or CRAWFISH by the wrongheaded) and leave them in a bucket of river water overnight in the garage, without telling. Either the dogs would chew through a solid maple door to get in the garage and torture them, or the next morning we would find the garage floor crawling with randomly-spaced desperate crawdads gasping for air. This shared wildlife irresponsibility produced two relatively sane children, but alas, the same cannot be said of the crawdads.

Posted by Jilly at May 23, 2005 5:20 PM

The other weekend, my daughter and her friend came running in asking for a jar. Why they thought I would give them anything made of glass, I do not know. I asked them for what, they had caught a toad. I told them to use the bug house. A little screen house thingy that daugther forgets and leaves grasshoppers to perish in. Probably in the process of torturing said toad, he escaped. I think he is still under the holly bush in a state of panic.

Posted by Robbie at May 23, 2005 6:48 PM

THAT is a luna moth? Wow. Who knew? (Didn't B. Kingsolver write about those things in Prodigal Summer? Or maybe I'm thinking of another book...but I know I read about them somewhere...I was just too lazy to Google them to see what the heck they looked like...)

I really and truly think you need your own TV show...because this is much more entertaining than anything I can find on my 100 or so channels...

Posted by Marilyn at May 23, 2005 9:03 PM

Yay Marilyn! Joss on REALITY TELEVISION . . . what more could I ask for?

Posted by Dana W at May 23, 2005 11:31 PM

I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled upon your blog (I think, perhaps, it was a google search for "twee definition"), but I like it. I live enshrouded in the kudzu badlands myself, and I find it entertaining.. I look forward to continue reading.

That luna moth is certainly beautiful, rascals or no...

Posted by Melissa at May 24, 2005 2:25 AM

I was a luna moth for Halloween once. It was the most awesome costume EVER.

Posted by lizardek at May 24, 2005 5:00 AM

Oh good googily moogily what the hell is that? A Luna Moth? If that came near me I think I'd leap into the air and pee my pants in one swell foop. Must be a non-outdoorsy-Heather-thing.

Posted by Heather McCutcheon at May 24, 2005 11:11 AM

Ah, see, the Heathers think the moth is just scary. Must be in the name.

And, yes, BK wrote about them in Prodigal Summer. Love that book! But, it did not make me love bugs.

Posted by Heather at May 24, 2005 11:19 AM

Wow..gotta love that moth! I've never seen one - I think - maybe I have and didn't pay it no mind which is really not very understandable since if something like that were to come anywhere within the proximity of my being, I really think common sense would be to marvel at its brilliance. Of course..the key word is common sense. Oops, two key words...like I said...*smile*

Posted by Dorothy at May 24, 2005 12:32 PM

Joshilyn

I found your blog link at, of all places, a costume-maker's journal! (She wants to make fairy wings, and someone mentioned your luna moth photo.)

I can't be sympathetic about the basement full of boys, though--there's hardly any kids in my neighborhood besides my own, and I would love to have a house full all the time!

Posted by Dianne at May 26, 2005 4:04 PM