Comments: But I was Mad, Though, Is Why

Ankle strap?? But... but... STUMPY! Leg-dissecting! And if you don't believe in the pointy toe I may drive RIGHT PAST THE 1811 HOUSE MISSY!!

Smooches... see you soon. :)

Posted by Mir at May 14, 2005 7:43 AM

You didn't complain to the Hateitwithvim Hotel management, did you? SIGH. Your head will not explode if you stand up for yourself, sweetie.

SO JEALOUS of Mir right now. Have a wonderful time - how about a pointy-toed-with-an-ankle-strap compromise?

Posted by Amy at May 14, 2005 9:16 AM

PHEW I'm glad you're having a better day than yesterday in Chicago....I got all verklempt worrying about you. Vermont is adorable, no? The whole state is adorable. And are you going to that wonderful bookstore in Montpelier that is a half block from the statehouse? They have a SHOP CAT. Bookstores with SHOP CATS are the bomb.

Posted by Jilly at May 14, 2005 9:18 AM

EEEEEEEEEEEEE! I forgot!! I was innocently watching TV yesterday and suddenly THERE YOU WERE! Or rather, there was the commercial for gods! Which I had heard only unconfirmed rumors about! And I screamed and danced about! And then I Tivoed it and made Kevin watch it the minute he walked in the door! And we both think you are VERY COOL. :)

Posted by Amy at May 14, 2005 9:21 AM

kitten heel: YES!!
wedge: no
pointy toe: yes (but I like the rounded ones too)
ankle strap: only if you have super-model legs...for those of us with mere-mortal legs, I've gotta go with Mir on the stumpy thing

It's all about the shoes, baby! :-)

(Glad you got the Good Hotel this time, so things will go smoothly and you don't have to learn to speak Vermont.)

Posted by DebR at May 14, 2005 10:38 AM

A chocolate honor bar? One visit from me, and they'd probably have to abandon that system.

P.S. I laughed out loud at your Southern to Chicago translations.

Posted by katie at May 15, 2005 10:44 AM

LOL! I can SO relate to the Southern vs. Chicago-speak. The biggest rows I've had with my husband were over things I "asked" for (and in one case, "insisted" and "begged") but which he ignored. He speaks New Yawk, and I speak...hmm, not sure what to call it. I'm from Phoenix, but I learned it from my Indiana mother. My ancestors left North Carolina in 1813, so surely it isn't Southern, unless it came from the line that was in Kentucky as late as the 1850s. But it sounds an awful lot like Southern.

Oh, and I agree with Mr. Husband. Go for the ankle-straps. You've got the legs!

Posted by Katrina at May 15, 2005 11:14 AM

WAILING!!!!!!!!
I didn't know you were coming to Vermont!! I LIVE in Vermont!! I had The Day Off!!! I could have seen you and admired the new shoes! And heard all about gods....
*sigh*
That'll teach me to pay more attention to posted schedules....
Hope you had a good time

Posted by Gayle at May 15, 2005 7:27 PM

OH! Poor orhpans! I can adopt some of them. You just send them to auntie Heather. ;)

Posted by Heather at May 15, 2005 11:17 PM

But, did you stay in the Burr room? Just seems appropriate with your book and all. Just sayin'.

Posted by Peek at May 16, 2005 2:31 PM

Okay, I grew up in Georgia as well, but I escaped when I was 26. It took living in London, Colorado, and, most importantly, Boston, for me to learn to cut the "I'm a sweet brainless Southerner who can't ask for what she needs because it's bad manners" crap. You can do it too! It just takes practice--like the first time you looked in the mirror and said, "I'm a writer. I'm a writer." (I know that you did--I did it for years before I could say it to a live person without dissolving into self-conscious giggles). Here's a trick: with your Southern girlfriends, try repeating back to them inane hints they make: i.e., "What do you think of those shoes?" You say, "Are you really asking me what I think of those shoes or are you telling me you like those shoes?" Good luck and best wishes.

Posted by Edgy Mama at May 16, 2005 3:26 PM

Saw the ad in PEOPLE. Very cool.

Posted by dlfp at May 16, 2005 4:44 PM