Comments: How to Get Chips

LOL It is, of course, essential to defeat room service. :)

Posted by Jensgalore at May 4, 2005 8:08 AM

*dismayed expression* Again? The same hotel?! Jos-a-lyn! Why, oh why, did you not pack copious amounts FOOD in your suitcase? I mean, really, this should be instinctual. After all, YOU.ARE.A.MOTHER. But at least you got a nice little hike out of it all.:-) Oh, and by the way? Alabama Booksmith? Eeeee!

Posted by David at May 4, 2005 8:19 AM

I've decided to call my first novel "Chips of the Just." I can pay you some royalties, if you need. Perhaps in chips...?

Posted by Mir at May 4, 2005 9:27 AM

Joshilyn, pack your own chips (i.e. comfort food) in your very own luggage. Nothing can compare to the comforting glow of cheetos smiling up at you, nestled happily in your undies. Another travel hint - get TWO of those key card things... I invariably lose one or somehow demagnetize it. Then there are more trips to the lobby in ... loungewear.

Read the book. Finished it. loved it. Peggy in Tulsa

Posted by peggy spence at May 4, 2005 9:47 AM

David & Peggy in Tulsa:

You don't understand. I weighed her luggage and it was 49.999 lbs. Miss Cheapo (wonder where she comes by that) would rather be set on fire than pay for an overweight bag! Hence, lounge wear in the lobby.

The Papa

Posted by The Papa at May 4, 2005 10:30 AM

Call me spoiled but I order room service at the slightest provocation. Feel like having a 3am meatloaf and pie? ROOM SERVICE! Ice not cold enough? ROOM SERVICE!

Might be expensive, but when my wife and I plan trips we build my insane food delivery antics into our budget. It's called my Discretionary Fund.

There's something special about picking up a phone and telling someone you want 3 pieces of whole grain toast, an apple and a half rack of ribs. After a very tense 20 minutes you then have a polite, well dressed person literally wheel your food RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. I love it.

Posted by Matt at May 4, 2005 11:45 AM

Is it saying something that I read this entire entry with the character of EYEORE being played by someone I thought was called EYESORE? I thought that was hella funny. EYESORE. Upon further review, it turns out his name was EYEORE. Ah. I get it now.

But you have to admit -- EYESORE is a funny name, too.

Posted by Julia at May 4, 2005 12:14 PM

Man, you must REALLY like chips. :) You persevered long after I would have slunk back to my room wailing against the injustice of the world against my woeful self...

Posted by Marilyn at May 4, 2005 1:13 PM

What I want to know is why the heck you're back at the same thrice-damned hotel after that food fiasco on your last visit. Did you mention to the person making your travel arrangements (I assume someone at the publisher's?) that your last experience at that hotel sucked the big ol' donkey nether regions?

But the chip hunt made a great story. :-)

Posted by DebR at May 4, 2005 2:29 PM

What kind of crack-smoking hotel management are we dealing with, here? Only ONE chip-vending machine, but TWO rooms with the same number on the door? That's not right, Kimosabe. Perhaps it's not Memphis, but a small quadrant of the Twilight Zone, hmmm?
Can't believe you didn't eat those chips in front of Eeyore!

Posted by Amy at May 4, 2005 2:36 PM

Hysterical! Just saw a full page ad for your book in People magazine. Hope your sales soar through the roof.

Posted by MoMMY at May 4, 2005 2:54 PM

Great story - I loved it completely. Found your blog through Blogging for Books regarding Gods in Alabama. Followed a link from the site regarding your book... wow, didn't know published authors bother to blog. Very cool!

Posted by Charity Triplett at May 4, 2005 6:39 PM

Now let's see....you forgot to spell the name of that hotel. Can I get that please? My sign must be correct, I wouldn't want to look like an idiot when I do my picketing in the front lobby.

Posted by hiai at May 4, 2005 10:35 PM

*laughing hysterically*

Oh, Joshilyn, what a delight you are! You're better than a cup of coffee at 6:30 a.m. on a day I do NOT want to get out of bed.

Posted by Katrina Stonoff at May 5, 2005 9:55 AM

OK, going back to this entry this morning, I discovered -- along the lines of the Eyesore/Eyeore confusion -- that I thought you were back in that same MON-K-EY Suck hotel. Monkeysuck is far funnier to my juvenile brain than moneysuck, I will admit!

I've been good. My AUTOGRAPHED hardback copy of Gods has been sitting on my endtable for over a week, winking and flirting with me. Tomorrow I will have 4 uninterrupted hours on a train to read said book! And then Sunday, I have the mate to that 4 hours... I'm not sure I'll be able to put it down in between, but if I don't, my Mom will hurt me ;-)

Posted by Beth at May 5, 2005 10:44 AM

You know Josh, I knew before I even read it that you were going to go up to your room in the wrong tower :)

Posted by Kitty at May 6, 2005 6:37 AM

Poor Eyeore man, doing laundry in a hotel. And why only one CHIPS room? Surely the MONKEYSUCK hotel could pony up for a second vending maching...

Posted by Sarah at May 8, 2005 10:51 PM