Comments: What Willie Nelson Said

What kind of person can make murder seem, well, funny and just(tified) at the same time?

And blasphemy? How can that be KO?

The answer is Joshilyn. (She's not your ordinary kind of author for one thing). When you meet Jim and get to know him, you realize it's OK to kill him. You kind of, sort of, wish you had done that to a few of the "Jim Beverlys" of your own high school days. They are everywhere and they do make folks miserable!

Well, the blasphemy thing, when it's with a little "g" for one thing and so true for another, it is funny.

What I'm trying to say here is I really, really enjoyed the misadventures of Arlene. What a fun book. I mean, death, drunkenness, rape, fornication, deception, metal illness, cruelty to animals - did I mention rape and fornication? It's all there. And more fun that a barrell of monkeys.

"gods" will make a great movie. I nominate Kristen Chenowith to be Clarice. Arlene is a tough cast to make. A young Sally Field would be good. A blockbuster nevertheless.

Thanks for the memories. Even if you are the kind of girl who uses escorts!

Michael

Posted by Michael the escort at April 25, 2005 11:04 AM

If this is what you DO have time to post about...I can only imagine how fabulous the 'didn't make it onto the blog' adventures were. Sounds like you're enjoying yourself. :)

Posted by Marilyn at April 25, 2005 3:10 PM

Ok, Joshilyn, I read this post this morning before leaving for a day of errands and found myself compulsively singing "On The Road Again" the rest of the day! And I don't know very much of it, so I was singing the same parts over and over and over and over....Aaaarrrggghhh!! This is all your fault!!

So I just had to write and say thanks for the earworm. :-P

And referring to the comment from Michael, there's a post I'd like to see from you someday, Joss. Who would YOU cast in a movie of "gods in Alabama" if you could have anyone you wanted? (Playing "cast the movie" is a favorite game of mine!)

Posted by DebR at April 25, 2005 4:05 PM

Oh no -- don't do as Deb asks and say who you would cast in the movie! (Apologies to Deb for being contrary). That would taint the reading experience for people who haven't read the novel yet, making them unable to envision their own Arlenes and Flos.

Posted by KarenB at April 25, 2005 4:59 PM

Great to see you at the Alabama Booksmith and thanks for signing the book. Cannot wait to delve into it.
"Anne Glamore" www.tinykingdom.typepad.com

Posted by "Anne" at April 26, 2005 8:22 AM

I think crab puppies sound delicious. But I'm from Texas, so there you are.

Posted by laura at April 26, 2005 10:36 AM

I *heart* Fannie Flagg. I do. But I am just as excited to meet you, b/c you are... real. Fannie is a woman in my imagination that i have no chance of ever meeting. You are real. I KNOW you.

Is tomorrow a signing or a reading?

Posted by Heather at April 26, 2005 1:42 PM

Crab puppies sounds like a friendly venereal disease.

I shudder to picture gods as a movie. Just because movies are NEVER as good as the book, and as neurotic as that makes ME as a consumer, I can imagine that as the author, your mental illness number would skyrocket. And, well, EEK. ;)

Posted by Mir at April 26, 2005 8:17 PM