Comments: It Got Quiet

Oh man... (((HUGS))) So happy she is OK now, even if it is all your fault :) One mom to another, it's always "our fault."

Posted by AGK at March 26, 2005 11:05 AM

I love you my dear sister in law and I tell people all the time what amazing parents you are because your Sam and Maisy are so great. I know that won't stop the night time evil voice dude because it is hard to stop our crazy brains from running a billion miles an hour when we don't have "tasks" to occupy our minds. I just wanted you to hear a not so evil voice in the daylight!!!

Posted by allison at March 26, 2005 11:10 AM

I am SO relieved everything turned out. How frightening!

Posted by katie at March 26, 2005 11:22 AM

ugh. big ginormous hugs to you and maisy and scott and sam too (cuz he probably woke up - well, maybe not...irene seems to sleep through anything, so maybe sam does too). but good lawd! you got all that night stuff EXACTLY RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!!! and it is possible that perhaps it's a gene that wakes up the second that sperm hits that egg. i had it to a much lesser degree pre-children, but NOTHING like i've got it now.
you're a good mother. maisy and sam are delightful and healthy little creatures. you are good. all is good. hmmm, i must be tired b/c i'm getting rambly.

Posted by kristen at March 26, 2005 11:24 AM

As one mom to another - I know EXACTLY what you mean about taking the blame when there really isn't any blame to be had. My son was born with scoliosis and I went through months of back braces and doctors visits and special medecine and all that stuff and I agonized over it because maybe I slept too often on my right side and not enough on my left and that's why he's curled. I didn't take enough calcium - I took too much calcium - the cold medicine my doctor said was ok really wasn't okay - I worked for too long (he was born 5 days after I took a leave of absence) - I tripped once too many times - the car wreck really did hurt my baby before he was fully developed - hanging around people who smoked hurt him....

It was awful. Poor kid couldn't sit up because the brace squished into his weiner and it hurt really bad.

Good news is that he's a happy, active, smart 12 year old and he outgrew the problem. I am sure that your little'un will too. You are a good mother and I can hear the love and your worry in your words.

Posted by Karry at March 26, 2005 2:32 PM

Blame it on the MOMWRITERS, Joss. JUST SAY NO!!

Posted by Natalie R. Collins at March 26, 2005 2:52 PM

Oh you didn't know? Yes, all your fault. Same with my child. All my fault. Even when they are in their 40's and get the sniffles, it's still going to be our fault somehow...

((((((HUGS)))))))

Very sorry that you had that scare, glad things are ok!

Posted by Heather McCutcheon at March 26, 2005 4:10 PM

It can't be all YOUR fault; it's all MY fault. Seriously, I'll take it all. You rest. But it's your turn to shoulder the blame on Monday, mkay? Thanks, doll.

Posted by Mir at March 26, 2005 6:42 PM

I'm so glad Maisy is doing better. Gentle hugs to you both.

(Maybe you should modify the bunny foo foo song and sing about scoopin' up the croup and bashin' it on the head....it'll be afraid to ever visit anyone in your house ever again)

Posted by DebR at March 26, 2005 7:20 PM

Being 'at the mercy of that which is random' is what I refer to as 'the Monsters in the Closet'. When they were teeny tiny the Monster was SIDS, Croup (Erin had it at 6 months and we spent early Christmas morning at Egleston), RSV and others. As they have grown, the Monster has taken on different shapes and characteristics - illnesses and happenings that I dare not name for fear of jinxing my babes. I don't think the monsters will ever go away. I bet my Mom and Dad still imagine 'monsters in the closet' when it comes to my brother, myself and our children.

Posted by dana at March 26, 2005 10:09 PM

OH, Tulip, I am soooooo sorry. What an awful thing to happen. I'm so glad she's ok.

Sam is six weeks old now and every time I wake up in the night for any reason OTHER than that he's screaming for food it's with the sick thought: "he's SMOTHERED, you horrible person, and you SLEPT through it, SLEEP is more important to you than your CHILD, and you don't deserve him anyway."

Just so you know you aren't alone in the morbid-thought department. Lots of love to everybody!!!

Posted by Amy at March 26, 2005 10:39 PM

Oh, honey, but IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. I was wracked with guilt at UCSF Children's Hospital after our son's diabetes diagnosis. Because he was diagnosed near coma I blamed myself for not catching it earlier, even though his pediatrician had told us he was fine. There in the ICU, a VERY KIND male nurse said to me, "You were not supposed to know any sooner than this."

It'll be OK. SHE'S OK. Not, not, NOT your fault. Love, Martha

Posted by Martha O'Connor at March 26, 2005 10:49 PM

I am so glad she is okay.Love,Whitney

Posted by Whitney at March 27, 2005 11:30 AM

I have so loved reading your blog since discovering it a few weeks ago, and oh MAN this post just made me ache for you... Rational sense and motherhood don't have a whole lot of overlap, in my experience, and the opportunities for guilt are just so damn huge they defy gravity and anything else quantifiable.

I am so happy your daughter is okay, and just hope that the confluence of your fine work, your sleep, your marriage, your kids, and ALL GOOD THINGS mesh in a way that allows you much-deserved pride and comfort and even mental nourishment (as much of that as any of us are allowed!), from here on out.

Posted by Cornelia Read at March 27, 2005 7:08 PM

I'm glad Maisey is better. I hope you will be too. Hope you had a happy Easter.

Posted by carolyn at March 27, 2005 8:28 PM

You know what's your fault? That she lives, breathing luminescently next to you tonight. THAT is your fault, because YOU did that, along with Scott and God.
Once that life was set in motion, you do the best you can. And your best? Is wonderful.
Oh, and good heavens, you live in a state where humidifiers go to see what humidifying is all about. You don't need a humidifier there any more than we in Denver need an oxygen-sucking device carefully stashed in our rooms. Good heavens.

Posted by Kira at March 28, 2005 12:42 AM

Hello, this is my homepage.

Posted by bill66 at March 30, 2005 9:58 AM