Comments: SCDD...

Um...I hate to make trouble...(ok, I don't REALLY hate to make trouble, but I like to pretend I hate to make trouble)...but I like the title "40 Dead Horses" better than "40 Ghost Horses".

"40 Ghost Horses" makes me think of some song by Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson and some other people I can't think of. "40 Dead Horses" makes me wonder WHY are they dead? WHY so many? WHO or WHAT killed them? Are they LITERAL horses or METAPHORICAL horses? I want to KNOW these things!!

But hey, that's just the opinion of one reader. Someone who, FWIW, has already bought The Book That Doesn't Exist, AKA Gods In Alabama. (Your amazon sales rank number was 29,666 at that point, BTW) :-)

Posted by DebR at February 17, 2005 12:47 PM

See, 40 Ghost Horses, while I like it, makes me think of a Nancy Drew book that I worshipped when I was, oh, about eight years old. The Secret of Shadow Ranch, wherein a "ghost" palomino haunted a ranch and bedeviled the ranchers, until Nancy sleuthed her way to the Scooby Doo ending and revealed the ghost horse to be...just a horse, but with glow in the dark paint or some such. ANYWAY, I like 40 Dead Horses, but I guess I can see why the agent would think it might scare people.

Posted by Aimee at February 17, 2005 1:23 PM

But see, you both are FTK regs! YOU two might buy the book with that title, but you know ME, and you KNOW I am NOT going to meditate moribundly on putridity or wax endlessly poetical about maggots.

Or, if I did, the maggots would at LEAST be in funny hats.

Posted by joshilyn at February 17, 2005 1:51 PM

Hmm. I, too, prefer your original title to the suggested one, but I wonder, would simply "40 Horses" work? Or maybe a touch of familiar poetry? "Four and Twenty Horses?" *winks, then ducks quickly*

Posted by David at February 17, 2005 1:52 PM

Well, having no idea what this book is actually about I thought another neat title might be The Spirit of 40 Horses. But, what do I know?

Posted by Peek at February 17, 2005 2:26 PM

Ok, given that those of us whe prefer "40 Dead Horses" just might...MIGHT, mind you...be not-quite-normal, maybe you should trash both your original title AND your agent's title and come up with something entirely new.

Here are some Helpful Suggestions to get you started:
---"40 Corporeally-Challenged Horses"
---"40 Horses Bought the Farm"
---"The Bell Tolls for 40 Horses"
---"The 40th Maggot-free Horse Died at Sunset"
and last, but not least, my personal favorite...
---"Maggots in Funny Hats"

Posted by DebR at February 17, 2005 3:48 PM

Just as a side note, Purple is Far better than Pink.

;)

-Youknowwho!

Posted by Splinky at February 17, 2005 5:17 PM

I vote for 40 Dead Horses! (Are we voting? Is this another contest? I don't think so. Anyway . . .) If I saw a book on the shelf with that title, my head would tip over to the side and I'd be thinkin' "What is THAT all about?" and I would HAVE to pick it up and check it out . . . just like I did with Dogs of Babel and other strangely titled books that I have BOUGHT in the past.

Posted by Dana at February 17, 2005 10:31 PM

ok...you must must must keep 40 Dead Horses. Cuz, frankly, 40 Dead Horses is so very ...well... YOU, don't you think? Not in a maggoty, hatless way, but in a hilariously, hyperbolically, melodramatic way, no? 40 DEAD horses has a kind of punch, a zip, a kick, an OOMPH! to it. 40 Ghost Horses is a teary western wanting to be the N'Sync of New Teen Literature. Just my humble but always always right opinion. :D

Posted by hiai at February 18, 2005 5:25 AM

Another vote for the horses to stay dead. Anyone who shies away because of that as a title isn't worthy of your talent. (LOL! Because I SAID SO!)

Posted by Mir at February 18, 2005 6:21 AM

How about "The Jaguar in the Whale" and just confuse the $%^* out of people.

Posted by Jocelyn at February 18, 2005 11:33 AM

I have to go along with the "40 Dead Horses" contingent. Ghost horses are just horses of a TOTALLY different color. So to speak.

Posted by Lisa at February 18, 2005 2:29 PM

They're dead! Why not be honest about it? "Ghost" is such a gray area...dead is more black and white. Which suits you better, in my humble opinion. And yeah, I'd definitely pick up that title just to see what all the equine mortality was about. So, let 'em stay dead! If you're asking, that is, which I guess you weren't. :)

Posted by Amy at February 18, 2005 3:10 PM

Pluffy dear, what about 40 Etheral Mounts??? Grins.......btw, Bane says hi.

Posted by Gabi at February 20, 2005 11:41 AM