Comments: One Through Four (from Yesterday)

I still agree with all your comments. Seeing them again doesn't change anything - which is seldom true in life.
I hope your church friends will understand your book. If not, they're not really friends. And the others at church..... Well, it's sad but the church is not always the place we can bare our souls. It should be. Unfortunately, there is often a lot of holier-than-thou criticizing -- other places it's called gossip. And the criticizers usually aren't holier; they just have good locks on their closets. If you and God are okay, then you have to ignore the human criticism.
It's too late to suggest you use a pen-name. :)

Judith

Posted by Judith at January 17, 2005 4:19 PM

1. The boots are hot. How do you balance? I used to be able to dance the night away in such shoes. Now, I wobble all over the place. Cursed children.

4. Ding ding ding. This is why I have toruble with a lot of Christian fiction. There is no real conflict, and living a Christian life, I know better. I suggest Francine Rivers. WOW! Redeeming Love. WOW!

I love your image of the crackers on the alter. This is so true. For ages, the church has tried to suppress passion. They almost fear a sexually alive person. Leading many to hide behind masks and do things on the side they wouldn't do otherwise. Then there is guilt, so more hiding... It's a nasty cycle. Have you read Intimate Issues? Wonderful Christian book on a marriage's sexual side. Have an autographed copy. I went to the conference as well. Cause... um... I happen to like sex with my husband. Shouldn't we? Really hard to obey the whole command to never abstain from sex with your spouse if it's a chore.

Sorry... I am blogging your comments.

Posted by Heather at January 17, 2005 4:51 PM

Even though I am a Christian, I've only read one Christian book of fiction, and it was tripe. Completely one dimensional. I prefer my people more human.

Hopefully people will understand about your book. I used to do a lot of acting and would sometimes get flack about playing characters who were...much less than squeaky clean, so I know what you mean.

Posted by Sheryl at January 17, 2005 6:21 PM

I heart you. But you knew that.

Cognac morel sauce?? Damn, I need to write a novel.

Posted by Mir at January 17, 2005 6:40 PM

Oh, also? Did you wake up with that stapler in your bed...?

Posted by Mir at January 17, 2005 6:40 PM

I totally agree with everything you've said. I cannot wait to get your book. I've read a couple of Christian non-fiction books but just can't seem to find any good ones with "real" people with "real" problems. I tend now to just buy off the "sinner's" aisle. LOL

Great posts, it looks like you had a fabulous time.

Posted by Debra at January 17, 2005 8:03 PM

Ok, see...your post today is proof positive to me that God is hearing my own whiny thoughts about my novel, which I'm editing through for the first time. I just finished reading through the whole thing today and wondered what people from my church would think if they read it. It's got passion and sex and all that. It's what my characters are doing and it makes them real. But the heart of the story is about redemption and love, and this particular story wouldn't get there without the rest of it. So these are the thoughts I've been tossing back and forth all day today. And now I'm going to quit worrying about it and just let it be what it's meant to be. Thanks! :)

Posted by Lisa at January 17, 2005 8:06 PM

When my book is published, I will be excommunicated from my church, the parents will wear black for a year, and I will be forced to make my own church...wait, I did a blog on that. But really, it's gonna shake some crochet beanies right off their heads. But who cares?
Not me.
And you rock, so don't worry about it.
Tish

Posted by tish at January 17, 2005 11:11 PM

Wow, lot of us going on about the SIN these days. But you're right...people DO. Just because it's fiction doesn't mean it's not real. Good for you for writing real!

Posted by Shelley at January 18, 2005 9:16 AM

Duuuuude... I thought you weren't going to do the comments thing....

Posted by zippy at January 18, 2005 11:16 AM

Amen, amen, and AMEN.
Because you know, He's not a tame lion...

Posted by Kira at January 18, 2005 12:08 PM

My friend, there is much wisdom in what you say. And, being familiar with your church family, I think they will see that. Besides, you are so highly thought of that I think they will spot you a digression or two...*snort*

That stapler is just...wrong. In a lot of ways.

Posted by Amy at January 18, 2005 1:40 PM