Comments: PG-16 (or You Must Be This High to Ride this Ride)

Oh. My. Gawd.

I am just like you!!!

Only, my blog entries are NOT this witty.

And my son told me this morning, "I DON'T WANT JESUS!"

Posted by Heather at November 4, 2004 3:45 PM

There's an E in Oates. If you really LOVED her, you would know that.

Love,
YOU WIN

Posted by Slartibartfast, Maryland at November 4, 2004 3:47 PM

I'm SO glad people are having fun with it this month. I couldn't stand another wave of suicide notes.

Your book sounds awesome. Can't wait to read it. You know, I have this little contest for promoting authors you might be interested in...

Posted by The Zero Boss at November 4, 2004 4:01 PM

FOR THE RECORD -- I fixed the ONE non-E having Oates! OOPS! It was a typo.

ALSO for the record? JCO is a genius.

I've gotten a couple of WHO IS JCO e-mails -- so I will answer here --She is an AMAZING writer. She's written dozens of novels but three I particularly like are....
Bellefleur
The Tattooed Girl and
Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is my Heart

PS I DEEPLY hope JCO is not the type to sit around googling her name for fun on weekends. ALTHOUGH Lordy if you DO google her name you get 9 ZILLION pages. Still---Between this and the JCO and a HEN have a baby entry... Yish. Being an ICON is nice work if you can get it, but appearing in the lavatory scene of the present blog may not be considered a PERK.

Posted by Joshilyn at November 4, 2004 4:16 PM

I personally suspect that JCO is actually THREE WOMEN, named Joyce, Carol, and...well...Oates. Because one woman with that much talent and that much PRODUCTIVITY? No. Not possible. No. Damnit.

Posted by Kira at November 4, 2004 4:19 PM

At least your thing inside you is pushing you forward to ever-greater creative genius. Mine is creative for a while and then it suggests that I just stop posturing and do everyone a favor and fall into a large pit somewhere.

Can't wait to read your entry.

Posted by Mir at November 4, 2004 5:01 PM

Joshilyn? Sweetie? Don't take this the wrong way, but... exactly how much Halloween candy did you eat today? Hmmmm?

Posted by Amy at November 4, 2004 9:39 PM

I am digging your literary musings. A friend on a fitness board I frequent turned me on to "Faster than Kudzu," and I am enjoying it immensely.

Especially seeing as how I was reared in a state where the kudzu took over pretty damn fast.

Posted by Neon/Harper at November 5, 2004 1:40 AM

Dude, that *is* her entry.

Posted by Snork at November 5, 2004 5:29 AM

That thing you have in you, that "Look at me!" thing has got to be genetic. It is hungry--like you said, but more so. The need competes with breath, I dare say. I am one of Sam's teacher's, and he definitely has it. I did not realize what "it" was until I read this, but now I know. We were role playing part of the lesson this past week, and he and another child were acting out something that I thought might be a little bit of a stretch for the age group, but I felt confident they would get it. I gave Sam and his cohort in the drama the most basic plot line, and then told them to do what they thought Jesus would do. I literally got chills all over my arms. The classroom with its florescent lights melted away for a second. These two little boys pretending something, just took a simple idea and made it very real and sweet. Of course, I pointed out how well they had interpreted the lesson when they were done, and I showed them my arms. Sam's buddy smiled and shrugged, but Sam BEAMED. It was as if he had been fed full up and was satiated for awhile. He always wants to help me and be very involved in what we are doing. Now I know why. He is just like his mother. Imaginative. Insightful. Complex. Cool.

Posted by xhanthia at November 5, 2004 1:15 PM

Some of the most successful people in the world are driven by their need to be noticed. If fact, I would dare say MOST. There are a lot worse things that attaching yourself to the best and brightest of those around you. Normally those people do not often tolerate someone in their clique who is not of their own level, self perceived or otherwise.

The difference is if after your accomplishments (or during them) you continue, or develop, into a kind hearted person who just happens to be successful, or if you consider yourself better than everyone else and truely believe it.

I think you have fallen on the 'right' side of the fence and I would suspect your little emulator will too.

Posted by Shawn B. at November 5, 2004 1:39 PM

pardon the typos and grammar.
multi-tasking at work.
gawd, I hate re-reading after typing an entry into a blog of a professional WRITER.

Posted by shawn b at November 5, 2004 1:40 PM

Dare I confess that I didn't get past page 30 in The Falls, JCO's latest novel? I shall now give Because it it Bitter, and Because it is My Heart a chance because you like it and because I like that title.

I also confess that I am a little slow on the uptake and had to read your blog entry twice.

Some things are worth a little extra effort!

Posted by KarenB at November 6, 2004 9:50 AM

Oh, sure, now I will be up ALL NIGHT reading the rest of your blog. It's all your fault. Damn interesting writers!

Posted by Lilly at November 9, 2004 7:12 AM

Yep, I see you now! Great entry, looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog.

Posted by Kris at November 9, 2004 1:38 PM