Comments: TopGeeks

Humm... Don't you think it best to leave the geekness in the closet? At least you are comfortable about it. I choose to remain reclusive.

Posted by Joe at September 25, 2004 10:19 AM

Nahhhh -- I kept a TIGHT LID on it back in High School of course because I enjoyed, you know, DATING. So I kept my 12 sided dice hidden under the floor and had ONE friend that secretly indulged in that stuff with me and we had code words for it, that's how horrified we were that someone might FIND OUT WE WEREN'T COOL. (memo to adolescent self: YOU SHOULD HAVE RELAXED. I THINK THEY KNEW. K THANKS.)

But at THIS point? Having married one of the world's foremost comic book nerds? I'm shameless--even proud--of my geek-girl roots. Plus, you know, Michael Chabon has made it all a teeny bit retro cool. GOD BLESS HIM.

Posted by joshilyn at September 25, 2004 10:59 AM

Hmmm, how many bonus geek points do I get for having dated one of the earliest WotC employees for about half a year many moons ago?

And, regardless, I see your Conan books and raise you long nights in college spent MUDing at 2400 baud (which we thought was screaming fast, back then) instead of doing my work. Had to top out my levels and slay the white witch, ya know. My character? Was named Tesseract. *geek*

But I don't think I can top the crush on a constellation.

Posted by Mir at September 25, 2004 11:16 AM

ROTF....... you, Joss, a geek? Wait til you download the StarTreking song and put it on a CD before you talk to me about being a geek.

Posted by Judi at September 25, 2004 11:47 AM

Never had a crush on a constellation, but I did read LOtR three times in the 6th grade! Does that at least get me in the running? :)

Posted by Jensgalore at September 26, 2004 10:49 PM

Lessee, text-based gaming back in the day, Speed Racer crush (though I really loved his brother Rex, otherwise known as Racer X, but I felt at the age of fourteen that OURLOVEWASSOMAYDECEMBEROMG!11one!!!) I'd like to add that I saw SR on its first run on TV at the age of seven. In Japanese. In Japan.

Not only Orion have I loved, but his little dog too, and oh! Comets Hayakutaki and Hale-Bopp almost seduced me into leaving my husband. He would have named my 4.5" reflector as co-respondant.

My older brother also warped my brain with SF, but I was ready and willing to go since Star Trek was canceled and all I had were a few summer reruns to look forward to. (Martian Chronicles are SFLit. And Dune was da bomb.)

As far as current geekdom goes, YOU HAVE A BLOG.

Posted by jill at September 27, 2004 6:03 PM

Is it really geeky if all you do is play a pretty music and decorate houses? Not if it's done with style, plus you make fun of the other geeks.

Besides, real geeks play tamers.

-dlfp