Comments: The Stupidest Mom on Earth

Oh,no, sweet pea! (coos and brushes hair gently off forehead)

Surely you will win the lottery soon and come back when everybody's healthy, you deserve it!

Posted by Brigitte at January 14, 2010 7:22 AM

Oh no! That is awful and I am terribly terribly sorry. The one and only time we took the kids to Disney, we discovered that we, as a family, were violently allergic to the state of Florida. But we were only hacking and wheezing and coughing and spitting and going through box after box of tissues. No puking. Puking trumps allergies every time. YOU WIN.

Posted by Badger at January 14, 2010 8:24 AM

Oh Joss. You poor thing. I feel bad for your two wee ones, but really? Just horrible for you.

I truly hope Maisy feels better soon. My Maggie just had a stomach thing on Monday. Puked all day. Truly horrific. Totally fine by Tuesday morning. I propped her up in front of the tv with Sprite and crackers. She swears it's a miracle cure. I'm afraid for her children later in life. "Don't worry dear, it's just a little plague. Here, sip some Sprite." Heh.

Hoping you all feel healthy enough to enjoy the rest of your days there!

Posted by dee at January 14, 2010 8:26 AM

With any luck it will only be a 24 hour bug and you can see a small part of Disney. And don't forget PBS for some timely kid-appropriate tv. Not having kid-friendly channels is very illegal in my world. Maybe there's a dvd/vcr at front desk you can rent/borrow?

Posted by Jenn at January 14, 2010 8:52 AM

I suspect Mr. Hilton has computers in a small room/enclosure/cubical-d area on the main floor. Sometimes called a 'business center', don't be fooled - nobody does any business there short of printing airline boarding passes. If nothing else, you could print out some fun family activities from the interwebs.

If you're 'on property', the concierge will arrange free transportation to several walk in clinics in the area if it gets to that 'we should do something' point. If I recall correctly, I believe there are Walgreens surrounding WDW with nurse practitioners right in them.

Hotel rooms are all high-techy now with the television... I bet you can get in-room kids movies and in-room on-command games (code for Nintendo I'm told).

I can't help you with the pukestink. Call housekeeping!

Posted by Brian at January 14, 2010 8:53 AM

Oh no! So sorry! Our first time with the kids at Disney my 18mo old got pneumonia within 12 hours of landing. I truly feel for you.

Good news: at least she is old enough to watch TV and puke into the bucket. Also, if you have to get sick on vacation, Disney is the place to do it. They could not have been nicer to us, and even had a kid-friendly ambulance at 2:30 in the morning! And a "cast member" offered to stay with my 3yo so we could both go to the hospital.

Plus, they credited us back part of the cost of the tickets. Not all, but it helped ease the pain.

Praying this is a short-lived virus and no one else gets sick. So so sorry!!!

Posted by Jen at January 14, 2010 8:59 AM

Thanks---i appreciate all the kind words - was very unnhappy this anm.. She is asleep, no puke for 45 mins now. So. I feel so much less bleak with her resting instead huddling over a bucket. POOR Maisy!

Posted by joshilyn at January 14, 2010 9:20 AM

Ah, shadenfreude--I had tickets to a museaum exhibit this morning but my 6 year old has pneumonia and a temp of 103. But at least we're not missing Disney! Your misery surely trumps mine in spades. Hoping it's the quickest of stomach bugs and no one else gets it and in 6-8 hours you're strolling through Disney at twilight...

Posted by Jen at January 14, 2010 9:23 AM

I am so sorry, I KNOW YOUR PAIN. Three kids, Disney California, HAND, FOOT and MOUTH disease! But the staff at the Disney hotel was gracious, moved a DVD player from one room to the infirmiry, sent up ice cream and gave the kids autographed pictures of Mickey and Minnie.
Tell the concierge you need some help. Explain that this is your first family vacation EVER. Ask for a DVD player and some library movies. If they are worth their salt, some help should come.
Also, the kids DID get to the park, mostly in shifts, but last day all together. When the first went down to a restaurant and told the staff she wanted to take something up for her Bro and Sis, all the characters signed an impromptu get well card.
Will say BIG PRAYERS that Maisey is on her feet in less than 24 hours!

Posted by JulieB at January 14, 2010 9:32 AM

I am so sorry, I KNOW YOUR PAIN. Three kids, Disney California, HAND, FOOT and MOUTH disease! (I still refer to it as Hoof and Mouth thankyou) But the staff at the Disney hotel was gracious,(found us a doctor) moved a DVD player from one room to the infirmiry, sent up ice cream and gave the kids autographed pictures of Mickey and Minnie.
Will say BIG PRAYERS that Maisey is on her feet in less than 24 hours!

Posted by JulieB at January 14, 2010 9:33 AM

What sad news! During one family trip to Disney when I was a kid, my youngest sister started puking in the park. If you know Disney, you know Disney cannot tolerate puking within its borders. These things must be eradicated. So they took our family behind the little secret gate where the characters come out to shield us from the happy public. This would have been okay, except my sister was only 2 or so and I think she was traumatized for life when she saw Winnie the Pooh pull off his head and start smoking a cigarette.

Posted by Jessica at January 14, 2010 10:43 AM

OH NO! *pats Joss's head* I am SO sorry for you and Sam and Maisy (and Scott). I hope she feels better immediately. SUper immediately. Like, BAM, you finish reading this comment, and lo, there is Maisy, not puking, bright-eyed, and ready to leave the stinkin hotel no matter what time of day or night it may be. Yes.

Posted by Jess at January 14, 2010 11:57 AM

Ooooooooooh nooooooooo! Poor poor Maisy, poor poor Sam, poor poor Joss! If they don't have adequate kiddy TV, does the hotel at least have ALCOHOL?!

Posted by RuthWells at January 14, 2010 12:13 PM

You are a Christian martyr, just a Christian martyr. I have no comparable misery to ante into the pot (whoops, sorry -- too apt.) I do, however, hate being disappointed with a fierce, oxygen-fed acetylene flame and feel different horrids for each of you. Clearly a call downstairs is in order, following all the excellent suggestions. I would only add that room service could probably include two dirty martinis in a coffee mug. Purely for hygenic reasons -- alcohol kills germs.

Posted by rams at January 14, 2010 1:04 PM

Oh no!!! I'm so so sorry! Those dirty rotten Fate sisters are at it again.

Posted by Kathy at January 14, 2010 1:49 PM

I am so sorry! We also had family stomach flu in Florida after visiting Discovery Cove (there is a bacteria pool, I mean "lazy river" that I blame not the dolphins) and had to miss Disney altogether. If you all get sick, see if you can get another room (adjoining is nice) and try to keep post-pukers from pre-pukers. Hope she feels better soon.

Posted by Nancy at January 14, 2010 2:16 PM

I have only fur-babies, so I cannot imagine the dismay of a child so close to Disneyland who cannot go, after all the anticipation, because she is barfing like Old Faithful. I also cannot imagine the woe of a child so close to Disneyland who cannot go, after all the anticipation, because his sister is barfing like Old Faithful, and who, although feeling fine, must hang around a stanky (yes, stanky!) hotel room. However, the acute, keening pain of the mother who feels her children's suffering in addition to her own is a terrible thing I cannot begin to contemplate.

You have the most eloquent sympathy I can manage. Poor Joss. Poor, poor Joss.
*patpatpat*

Pee Ess: If it makes you feel any better, at least they are not puppies. I am raising a puppy right now, who pees the rug when she is not attempting to gnaw a finger loose from my hand. While the cat barfs.

Posted by JMixx at January 14, 2010 2:40 PM

That happened to my little sister when we did Disney, too...I was 12, so I guess she was 7. (Because I r good at teh maths.) Wishing your girl a speedy recovery!

Posted by Heather at January 14, 2010 3:30 PM

WHAT is it with the happiest place on earth and puking? The same thing happened to us last year. Perhaps she will rally and be fine -- my daughter was sick for one 24 hour period then made a miraculous recovery. Fingers crossed for you.

Also, is there some kind of a child arcade at your hotel? If Sam is old enough, perhaps he could spend time there?

Posted by liz at January 14, 2010 4:18 PM

Here goes: love love your books. Read all three of them in four days. Read your blog all the time. I think you are smart and witty. I am sad you are having a hard time with your sick child. I have a Disney horror story but now is not the time for that. Kids recover quickly. Surely she will.

Posted by Olive Cooper at January 14, 2010 7:42 PM

My turn for extra sweetness and sympathy stories..two years ago during our first trip to Disneyland - both 7 year old and I had horrible colds and our ears didn't pop for two days, small 7 year old had TWO allergic reactions to Disney food - you crazy americans and your food dyes...and there were TORRENTIAL rains. We did a do-over six months later and everthing was PERFECT.
I am off to my 2010 year of book club tonight and I am flogging Between Georgia (the audio, because it is my absolute favourite)!! My fingers are crossed for a better day tommorow (is it already tommorow there?)

Posted by Raine at January 14, 2010 9:11 PM

At least you can laugh about it when she has children of her own who are puking on her, right? *crickets*

Sorry, I have no words to make it better. Puke viruses are the worst, and there is one lurking the halls and classrooms of our little school right now, and I am in mortal fear every time one of my children makes a strange noise. (They don't give me warning -- the puke just starts wherever they are standing.) GAH! Here's to a quick recovery, an isolated virus in only one family member, and lots of pity and extras from Disney employees!

Posted by Lori B. at January 14, 2010 9:32 PM

DARLING! Completely suckworthy. How is your angel now? Thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers.

Posted by Gray James at January 15, 2010 12:47 AM

Ok that sucks! I think you should sue them for false advertising. "Happiest Place on Earth"--forsooth!
Seriously, SUCH A BUMMER.

Posted by edj at January 15, 2010 9:04 AM

OOh, awful. I was going to tell you about this cyst on my dog's butt that burst when we were at my in-laws over Christmas and spewed cheesy stuff and blood on the $40,000 inheritance rug, but somehow I can't make that story comforting. So I won't. Here's hoping and praying you all get and stay well, well, well!

Posted by elizabeth at January 16, 2010 8:24 AM