Comments: Hey Ariel, Aurora Dawn, Jasmine...

Belle's okay, too, no matter what the Princess machine says. NOT a princess, a girl whose biggest thrill is the sight of that library. Also, as one of my daughters pointed out, the onlyh Disney movie in which the lovers get to know one another before falling in love. Only one.

Posted by rams at December 16, 2009 7:15 PM

Except Mulan! They are soldiers and become friends before he ever comes courting. Also, he is Donny Osmond. I approve.

Posted by Joshilyn at December 16, 2009 8:28 PM

Haha I love Mulan. And Belle is one of my favourites too, but someone recently pointed out to me that her relationship with the Beast is at first quite abusive and scary, and that's not such a great lesson to be perpetuating...

Posted by Heather at December 16, 2009 8:32 PM

PS on Mulan - but of course she had to disguise herself as a man in order to accomplish anything. GAH. I really hate Disney sometimes :P

Posted by Heather at December 16, 2009 8:46 PM

Mulan is my favorite Princess. Jasmine needed to put some clothes on, please. Ai yi yi! How about a princess who becomes a Nun and dedicated her life to Jesus?

Posted by Heather at December 16, 2009 9:05 PM

I'm with Heather -- how about Clare? Sharing a story line with Francis, with whom she will NOT fall in love (except for the agape kind).

And Pocahontas wouldn't have been alright if they'd eschewed John Smith's fantasy; she was friends with John Rolfe before she married him.

Posted by Kalynne at December 16, 2009 9:22 PM

I do think the new Princess Amphibian actually wants to be a restauranteur rather than a princess, and is therefore not super interested in the prince (at first no doubt) but I could be wrong about that.

Posted by kate at December 16, 2009 10:56 PM

LOL I agree completely and yet I LOVE Disney. ESPECIALLY the princesses, because deep inside I am a mushy-hearted romantic and I want to be a princess and not have to work, and is there really anything wrong with admitting that? No.

I think we need more balance, really. It's not a crime to NOT go to school and want to stay home and be fulfilled that way, but zomg clearly you aren't a feminist if you think that. Piffle!

(Belle has always been my favorite, but I cannot stand Ariel. She's 16! And acts like it!)

Posted by Jess at December 17, 2009 8:08 AM

Speaking of this, Mulan and Pocohantas are both on sale at Target now! Whoot!
I think they are my favorite princesses as well, and come from "realish" women. Which is cool.
I'm waiting for Elanor Roosevelt Disney-style myself. :)
Although, I have to admit, I really don't mind the other ones. Yes, simplicity in the romance department, but the art of the imagery and music still make them real works of art.

Posted by JulieB at December 17, 2009 9:23 AM

I love Belle too! She's fully dressed, not wearing a bikini top. And she loves to read. Mulan kicks butt.

Posted by GrandeMocha at December 17, 2009 9:33 AM

Just saw the new one with all the first graders, and she's actually a hard worker who wants nothing to do with the lazy people around her (especially the lazy, philandering, spoiled prince).

When I asked the kids what they thought of it, they said it was good, but there was too much kissing. My daughter was leading the way with that complaint. Yay!

Posted by Michelle at December 17, 2009 9:45 AM

I have a princess-obsessed stepkid who had a total meltdown last week when we wanted to see another cartoon. I didn't know that "I only see movies with Princesses or Bolt!" could be made into a banshee shrieking battle cry but she managed.

Posted by heather at December 17, 2009 10:01 AM

At least your little princess in training is still drawing with color crayons. I have a friend, a father of three girls and one son, who told me years ago that girls are so easy to raise until they quit coloring and that when they put the crayons down, things can get a little tough. As a stepmom of a fantastic 12 year old daughter, I have found his words to be SO. TRUE. My advice is to insist that your delightfully entertaining Maisy continue coloring----FoReVeR. :)

Posted by Kim at December 17, 2009 10:32 AM

I have boys, so while my knowledge of Princesses is spotty, I do love me some Belle.

My beef with Disney, however, is the lack of positive, strong adult female characters. Mothers. The only Disney movie I can think of that has a strong adult woman (as a good influence) is The Incredibles. The rest of them -- well, I've come to the conclusion that nothing interesting must happen to characters who have good mothers. No plot = no movie.

Posted by Marlaroo at December 17, 2009 11:53 AM

Yes, but as my best friend pointed out about the absent/bad mothers, if the kids had good mothers, they probably wouldn't get into trouble, and then, there's no story. :)

Posted by JulieB at December 17, 2009 12:15 PM

Marlaroo, you stole my thunder. All Disney mothers die. And then there's the whole wicked step-mother thing. I have to explain to my three-year-old and six-year-old what a stepmother is and then explain that in real life stepmothers are usually lovely ladies who are trying very hard to raise children that are not their biological children, but sometimes family dynamics are difficult when a stepmother joins the family, and oh forget it! Go watch Nemo.

Posted by Lori B. at December 17, 2009 2:17 PM

Don't forget about High School Musical.

As much as Disney is responsible for my unrealistic expectations about life and love, I still love them and their stereotypes.

Posted by Rebecca at December 17, 2009 5:30 PM

Even Nemo's mom is gone - we see her disappear at the beginning. And The Incredibles? Pixar, not Disney. Yes, Disney owns Pixar, but they have control of their own stuff and you can tell.

Posted by Beth R at December 17, 2009 8:22 PM