Comments: In Which the True Scope of My Horrid Selfish Nature is Revealed

Poor poor Joshilyn!!! I love you!! Thanks for making me feel slightly less crazy :-) Your blog often makes my week!

Melody in Virginia

Posted by Melody at November 30, 2009 1:52 PM

Loved this! It made my otherwise miserable, rainy day the eensiest, weensiest better. Thanks.

Posted by Cynthia at November 30, 2009 2:03 PM

I hate piano recitals too! And children's movies (few exceptions). And other child-centered activities. The worst? When your child is no longer in dance but you have to go anyway because all of your child's best and only friends are, and it's such a small community. AUGH!
So you have my deepest heart felt sympathy. And I personally don't think you qualify as a bad person for this. Maybe for other things, sure. I don't know.

Posted by edj at November 30, 2009 2:13 PM

I used to get scolded by my daughter for chatting at the soccer games instead of watching her be goalie. By the way, her team was too good for the ball to ever get near her. So she really just wanted me to watch her watch the game. I failed all that Mother stuff, but my girl still turned out pretty good.

Posted by Gina at November 30, 2009 3:38 PM

I find piano recitals incredibly boring, as well. Also, sporting events, the opera, symphonies, etc.

My dog once ate an entire stick of butter (not the paper, though). It didn't affect her at all. She had a stomach of iron. She also ate an entire box of Samoas, and was none worse for the wear. I sympathize with you on the butt-grooming noises, though. One of our cats chew the fur off her butt all the way to halfway up her back, so whenever she groom that area, we have to forcibly stop her. She finally has a little fuzz on that end, but she still looks ridiculous.

Posted by Haley at November 30, 2009 3:41 PM

I remember when my children got growed I thought no more recitals. Yippee! Then grandchildren started happening. Will the cycle never end?

Posted by pam at November 30, 2009 4:05 PM

Hugs! You didn't fail Mother 101. I think only the saints and music teachers (quite often interchangeable people) can truly enjoy [fill in the art-form/instrument] recitals. The rest of us have to be there.

Posted by Beth R at November 30, 2009 4:20 PM

For sleep, try taking Melatonin. But not until AFTER the piano recital.

Posted by laura F at November 30, 2009 4:41 PM

OMIGOSH, you just made my LIFE! I didn't know there was ANYONE in the WORLD aside from ME who has "zero emotional response to notes."

My iPod? Full of audiobooks and podcasts of This American Life, and NO MUSIC. Because...why would I want to listen to music when I can listen to WORDS?

Seriously, you have no idea how happy this made me. I'm not weird! Or, at least, I have company!

Posted by TC at November 30, 2009 4:56 PM

Also not fond of recitals. I do love notes, and will happily go to the symphony (if someone else pays) or other concert-like events, and only rarely fall asleep.

However, my iPod is also full of books and podcasts, because a) I'm too lazy to find new music and b) I sing to all the old music and it's not cool to sing while walking down the street.

Posted by Diane (TT) at November 30, 2009 5:50 PM

I dare you to come with me to our next bassoon recital. Or middle school anything.

Posted by Mel at November 30, 2009 6:22 PM

Well you still manage to bring the funny on an extreme sleep shortage. I hope you get some good sleep soon!

Posted by Heather at November 30, 2009 10:41 PM

Heh. This made me flash back to when my sister Stephanie was a DANCE MAVEN. She did everything -- gymnastics, tap, jazz. And her gymastics/dance school would always have their recital in June, and they would pre-order the HOTTEST, most HUMID weather possible and then have the recital in an un-airconditioned high school auditorium. The thing lasted eight hours (that is NOT an exaggeration) and every kid was in at least three numbers. And at the end, the bow sequence would always be set to something like "Before the Parade Passes By" or "Everything is Beautiful," which all the children would sing in shouty, cacophonous unison AD INFINITUM. Oh, how I dreaded them. I always loved watching my sister, but the OTHERS? Pffft.

Posted by Aimee at December 1, 2009 11:45 AM

And see, this is how I solved my insomnia. iphone + boring classical music = sleep. I have the softest earphones in the world. Sure, there is an iphone in the bed (and I've switched over to waterfall sounds because that's more consistent and I don't wake up with cymbals crashing in my ear), but I'll exchange the tiny inconvenience of the phone being nearby vs. the crazy, crabby, inconsolably cranky grumpiness that takes over my body and tries to eat everyone in sight when I haven't slept well. I'm eyeballing a couple of wireless headphones, but they seem too bulky. (I would try a noise machine, but my husband hates them.) So, put on a symphony while Scott's away. ;)

Posted by toni at December 1, 2009 1:46 PM